chaos33
November 18, 2021, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Garth

From the start PH said he preferred small squads, I'll bet he regrets that now we're on our bottom end

How are we on our ‘@rse end’ ?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
chaos33
November 18, 2021, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266
There is somthing deffo wrong somewhere  if a top team cannot attract players .  This will be the best chance to get out this league and folk have been expecting more rightly or wrongley . if we lose on friday fans will start to dwindle away very quickley

‘Wrongley’ and ‘quickley’?
Sometimes you seem to enjoy doom mongering.
You’re not even constructive or balanced. Why don’t you just give up supporting Town or writing badly expressed cobblers on a message board and taking up something you enjoy?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

‘Wrongley’ and ‘quickley’?
Sometimes you seem to enjoy doom mongering.
You’re not even constructive or balanced. Why don’t you just give up supporting Town or writing badly expressed cobblers on a message board and taking up something you enjoy?

Always thought that a message board/forum was for diverse opinions and views. We’ve lost four on the bounce, can’t buy a goal (or a striker) and yet any slight negative comment is berated.

I’m all for the improvements that are being made but football clubs are generally judged by on field success.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
toontown
November 18, 2021, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Sorry I have to disagree with you, this is simply not our best chance of getting out of this league, certainly when we are up againat the likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield who are spunking cash for fun and have the means to do so.
We we're always in for a bumpy road this year with the turnaround of the squad and the facilities needing so much investment just to make it fit for purpose.
What I'm seeing is the fans are taking to the squad and owners like I've not seen in years and I honestly believe we've gone from an hard core of 3000 to 4000 purely down to the fact the feeling around the place has improved exponentially.
If The Board set a budget based on a crowd of 3500 then it's not difficult to see that the 2022/2023 budget will increase due to increased crowd numbers
So back to my original point, for me next season should offer a better opportunity to move out this league, hopefully one of the big spenders will go up, the teams currently bottom of league 2 do not have the funding we will have and I'm expecting a slightly better squad, small improvements will go along a way and patience is needed

Remember though next season we lose half our parachute payments, the rest the year after, so a lot of extra income would be swallowed up replacing that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from devs

So why is there 6000+ expected Friday after 4 straight defeats?
Most of what is in this thread is conspiracy theory and conjecture - absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever
People taking out their frustrations with no idea what is going on

He's tried to get Bogle in - not interested
He's tried other options but for several reasons they've not come off

Look where getting Jackson, Gibson, Sisay, Williams, Rose et al got us last year - nowhere!

I think the London area clubs have a huge advantage over us - location and appeal... Grimsby is simply not an attractive place to a lot of players whether we are top or bottom

Chesterfield have paid way over the odds for Tshimanga - fair enough... but it's no guarantee of promotion and Hurst said he was not prepared to pay 250k plus his wages - 100% agree with him

Hurst could not have expected out of 4 strikers that we'd have one long-term injury; one out for 4-6 weeks; and one on cusp of always being injured.. you can't keep splashing the cash

Taylor is the type of quality player we attract now - over 30 and injury prone; we simply can't compete on so many levels for younger strikers
We are way down the pecking order - money, wages, player ambition, attractive club

It is frustrating but it's the modern game I'm afraid

Fair points.

I don't however agree that we cannot attract players.

We are in the 5th tier and obviously a big player in the league. We attracted players who took us to the top of the table, and of course many thousands of players over the years. We get good crowds and are in the top 3.

The location works both ways and some players would prefer to be north of Watford.

There are relatively few clubs where players can go if they are of a good 5th tier standard, they do not have an unlimited choice of clubs that are in the exact location they prefer or can afford them. I was hoping that narrowed down list would give us an advantage but we seem to be making heavy weather of it.

I do agree that we cannot keep throwing money at it, but I am equally sure the owners will not want to throw the good start and goodwill out of the window for the sake of signing a couple of players to keep us in good shape.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
pontoonlew
November 18, 2021, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,834
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from devs

So why is there 6000+ expected Friday after 4 straight defeats?
Most of what is in this thread is conspiracy theory and conjecture - absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever
People taking out their frustrations with no idea what is going on

He's tried to get Bogle in - not interested
He's tried other options but for several reasons they've not come off

Look where getting Jackson, Gibson, Sisay, Williams, Rose et al got us last year - nowhere!

I think the London area clubs have a huge advantage over us - location and appeal... Grimsby is simply not an attractive place to a lot of players whether we are top or bottom

Chesterfield have paid way over the odds for Tshimanga - fair enough... but it's no guarantee of promotion and Hurst said he was not prepared to pay 250k plus his wages - 100% agree with him

Hurst could not have expected out of 4 strikers that we'd have one long-term injury; one out for 4-6 weeks; and one on cusp of always being injured.. you can't keep splashing the cash

Taylor is the type of quality player we attract now - over 30 and injury prone; we simply can't compete on so many levels for younger strikers
We are way down the pecking order - money, wages, player ambition, attractive club

It is frustrating but it's the modern game I'm afraid

The famous ‘they won’t want to come here’ narrative is out again I see.

There are currently 20 players at other clubs who have scored the same or more than Ryan Taylor. I’m not for one minute that Taylor isn’t a good option but are you seriously telling me there’s nobody out there equal or better than could realistically come here?

It’s an old, tired excuse IMO.

As for not predicting that we’d have injuries up front, why could a proportion of our fan base see it coming but not Hurst? LJL and Taylor have long histories of injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
toontown
November 18, 2021, 12:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

Remember though next season we lose half our parachute payments, the rest the year after, so a lot of extra income would be swallowed up replacing that.

Plus fenty will still be sucking money out the club which this year we got transfer fees to pay off, next year it will have to come out of the regular income generation most likely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
chaos33
November 18, 2021, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Always thought that a message board/forum was for diverse opinions and views. We’ve lost four on the bounce, can’t buy a goal (or a striker) and yet any slight negative comment is berated.

I’m all for the improvements that are being made but football clubs are generally judged by on field success.

Don’t be silly. He doesn’t make use of ‘slight negative’ comments. He just contributes wallowing, pessimistic overstatement. I’m not trying to say he shouldn’t post a critical opinion - I’ve done that tons of times myself on here, but he doesn’t seem to ever see anything enjoyable or posiive in following Town or contributing here, but loiters waiting until something doesn’t go well and off he goes…..and that’s a huge worry to me. 😉

Alright, obviously I couldn’t really give a toss but it’s boring.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
devs
November 18, 2021, 1:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30

Good points too...

Fair points.

I don't however agree that we cannot attract players.

We are in the 5th tier and obviously a big player in the league. We attracted players who took us to the top of the table, and of course many thousands of players over the years. We get good crowds and are in the top 3.

The location works both ways and some players would prefer to be north of Watford.

There are relatively few clubs where players can go if they are of a good 5th tier standard, they do not have an unlimited choice of clubs that are in the exact location they prefer or can afford them. I was hoping that narrowed down list would give us an advantage but we seem to be making heavy weather of it.

I do agree that we cannot keep throwing money at it, but I am equally sure the owners will not want to throw the good start and goodwill out of the window for the sake of signing a couple of players to keep us in good shape.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from toontown

Plus fenty will still be sucking money out the club which this year we got transfer fees to pay off, next year it will have to come out of the regular income generation most likely

That's what I focused on the increased crowd funding the playing budget. That's the barometer for the money available to Hurst or whomever is in charge. I don't think the parachute payments have gone into the squad, I would suspect that's been used on the pitch, ground and cheapside.
If I recall correctly the owners had already budgeted for paying "him" back and said that won't affect the playing budget...god I hate Fenty!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another injury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.