7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner John
November 17, 2021, 11:18am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
I thought it was brilliant, if a little incongruous, seeing the Hollywood A-listers Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney turn up at Maidenhead United’s ground last month, to watch their first game as the new owners of Wrexham AFC. They surprised everyone last year when their offer to buy the north Wales club was approved. Now Covid travel rules have been relaxed, they have finally had a chance to see their beloved Red Dragons in person. As the owners of another National League club, Grimsby Town FC, Andrew Pettit and I are hoping some of that glitz and glamour will permanently rub off on us when we visit the Racecourse Ground in January.

I’m personally delighted about the competitive nature of the National League this year, with a number of “big” clubs vying for promotion out of what is the fifth tier of English football. The gamble which the Deadpool and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia stars are taking in the National League, asking fans to “dream big” and think of the Premier League as a target, is not dissimilar to what is happening with the 24 teams in the Championship. A number of clubs are looking to benefactors to sustain financial losses while helping them win promotion – all the while knowing that only three clubs can be successful.

The analogy with the Championship breaks down quickly though. No one buys into a club in the National League motivated by financial returns: it has to be about taking the club and community on a journey, and for that I admire what is happening at clubs like Wrexham and Stockport County. Both clubs have owners who are taking significant financial and reputational risks to awaken “sleeping giants”: in Stockport’s case, they were bought by property entrepreneur Mark Stott in January 2020. I believe they want the best for the clubs and communities; these are not the kind of opaque international investors who use brokers to get them through the owners’ and directors’ test on moral and financial suitability.

What worries me is the growing financial inequality that is becoming embedded in English football. Grimsby Town will make a significant loss this year. While budgets at our level are not officially declared, we know we are “competitive” – and we know that four or five of our peers are spending significantly more than us to get into the Football League. While we can boast nearly full-house attendances and improved performances at Grimsby, we are investing in the long-term infrastructure and culture of the club, and as a result it’s likely our financial losses will be worse next year. The second year after you drop out of the league, you lose all support payments from the EFL. For most owners at this level there is an acceptance that the payoffs lie somewhere other than the balance sheet: most are more interested in helping our community redefine its future.

That inequality should exist in football or society at large is neither controversial, nor problematic in itself. Natural endowments and capabilities mean advantages play out in all walks of life. The issue I and many others have with inequality is when it is patently unfair. While I love the excitement that glamorous owners bring to football, there needs to be strong financial parameters enforced around lower-league clubs, particularly around the pay structures and bonuses for each division. Clubs being able to underwrite big losses is a gamble that often does not pay off over time. It also creates unrealistic expectations among fans of clubs about the kinds of players they can attract, and leads to wage inflation for the whole league. This kind of market distortion is bad for the football pyramid as a whole.

The free market is a myth. All systems need operating boundaries with checks and balances if we want a market to be healthy and competitive. Outside football, in recent decades we have seen companies abandon working-class communities in places like Grimsby in favour of cheaper labour overseas. In football we see a similar kind of process, as super-rich individuals use brute force to achieve success by underwriting losses. Even if those individuals are acting honourably, which many are, it distorts the market for everyone. And crucially, when it doesn’t work it leaves the kind of disastrous mess we have seen at Bury, Wigan Athletic and Macclesfield Town in recent years.
Manchester City fans display a banner before the Carabao Cup final against Tottenham in April.
English football needs independent regulator, says chair of fan-led review

This is why Grimsby Town are proud to be members of the Fair Game alliance, being led by Niall Couper from AFC Wimbledon, and I’m really looking forward to the fan-led review they are publishing soon. Even the former Conservative sports minister Tracey Crouch seemed to understand the need to rethink the value of a football club. “Football clubs are not ordinary businesses,” she said in her interim findings. “They play a critical social, civic and cultural role in their local communities. They need to be protected – sometimes from their owners, who are, after all, simply the current custodians of a community asset.”

I’m hoping that we see recommendations in the fan-led review that would help cement the sustainable ownership of clubs as community assets. First, we need a massive upgrade of the evidently weak owners’ and directors’ test. There should be a legal commitment to enshrine their commitments to fans and the local community. Second, we need to incentivise responsible financial conduct throughout the football pyramid, and distribute finances based on a new fairness and sustainability index. Some of the massive amounts of revenue generated in the Premier League should go to those clubs that score highly on the index – clubs that are committed to financial sustainability, have good governance and believe in real fan and community engagement. With the profile our game has, English football could and should be showing real leadership: in how we create not only a fairer sport, but a fairer society..
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
November 17, 2021, 11:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
It may be nice to dream of a fairer competition and a fairer society but we have to face the realities of life in modern football. It's a very competitive business.

The fans are playing their part so I hope we don't wait too long for a fairer competition to emerge whilst we are still in division 5.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
promotion plaice
November 17, 2021, 12:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

In the article it states "The second year after you drop out of the league, you lose all support payments from the EFL."

I was under the impression clubs relegated from EFL League Two receive 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League Two clubs in the first year following relegation, and 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League Two clubs in the second year following relegation, just saying.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
wuffing
November 17, 2021, 12:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
Mr Stockdale for president in the New Republic of Grimsby, which I am just about to start...

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
DB
November 17, 2021, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Thank you to Mariner John for bringing this to our attention.

I think this sums up all that is wrong in the Prem and EFL. As JS pointed out earlier in the season they are looking at a loss this year and next, more than likely due to you know who, our super fan.

With regard to the rich owners putting in £100's of K into clubs, it is ridiculous, rich man's toys until his whim moves and written against his balance sheet as a tax loss!

Jason has the right thoughts, whether we like them or not, the club has to be sustainable over the long term and an asset for the community. He mentions 4/5 big spenders in the national league but only 2 teams will get promoted and 1 might have a plastic pitch ( unfair advantage ).

So how much debt will they carry into the next season and become another Scunthorpe!!!!!!!!!!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
FishOutOfWater
November 17, 2021, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from DB
Thank you to Mariner John for bringing this to our attention.

I think this sums up all that is wrong in the Prem and EFL. As JS pointed out earlier in the season they are looking at a loss this year and next, more than likely due to you know who, our super fan.

With regard to the rich owners putting in £100's of K into clubs, it is ridiculous, rich man's toys until his whim moves and written against his balance sheet as a tax loss!

Jason has the right thoughts, whether we like them or not, the club has to be sustainable over the long term and an asset for the community. He mentions 4/5 big spenders in the national league but only 2 teams will get promoted and 1 might have a plastic pitch ( unfair advantage ).

So how much debt will they carry into the next season and become another Scunthorpe!!!!!!!!!!

you know who, our super fan.

The principal (de)funder I take it?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 61
KingstonMariner
November 17, 2021, 2:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

you know who, our super fan.

The principal (de)funder “I take it”?  

Isn’t that what he said when we got the transfer fees for Pollock and Grist?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
MuddyWaters
November 17, 2021, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Trouble is that you can’t just change the rules because you don’t like them. We all know the club needed a reboot but the fans are turning up in droves and will continue to do so if the match day experience meets their expectations.
I understand the point but it’s part and parcel of football that some clubs are better funded than others even at levels below ours.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
KingstonMariner
November 17, 2021, 2:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Trouble is that you can’t just change the rules because you don’t like them. We all know the club needed a reboot but the fans are turning up in droves and will continue to do so if the match day experience meets their expectations.
I understand the point but it’s part and parcel of football that some clubs are better funded than others even at levels below ours.

Well no, but you hope to persuade others that the rules need changing for the good of the game as a whole.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
HertsGTFC
November 17, 2021, 3:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from wuffing
Mr Stockdale for president in the New Republic of Grimsby, which I am just about to start...

Mr Lawson as his deputy?

On a serious note there does need to be additional governance at all levels about how much you spend versus what you are willing to underwrite.

I know many posters we're p1ssed when we didn't top the offer Chesterfield made for the lad from Borehamwood but I would have been a bit worried if new owners had come in and  started paying that kind of money for and to an individual player.

Yes I want to get back up and stay up this time so a bit more of a long term approach is hard to pallet but feels the best way.

In my mind the more the media big up the National League the better as it may begin to influence 3 up 3 down from the EFL........... well maybe not !  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jason. The Guardian

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.