November 19, 2021, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from forza ivano

which sister FOOW?
You are correct - AUFC were in the conference in 1988 and were a strong team in the division below for many years under Trevor Gould (Bobby's brother).,
Cliff was an engineer at Antiference at the time, a well paid job, and was also earning very well at The Ducks. Southend and John Beck's cambridge both wanted to sign him, but he turned them down. As he explained , he could've given up his job , signed for them and then broken his leg on the first day of training (plus he didn't want to take the wage cut!)
Cliff still turns up at the games to watch max. Don't know if you knew his wife Jo, but she very sadly died of cancer last year

Sorry can't remember her name....been a long time. Only seems recent but in reality it has to be more than 35 years ago. Yikes!

We both worked at VW in MK and she was in accounts....it was a pleasant change to have a chat about footy instead of number-crunching  

Sad to hear that Cliff's wife passed away....  

I always had a bit of a soft spot for the Ducks as I used to go out with a girl who lived on Tring Road so the local "Bucks Press" ( I think that's what it was called ) always had reports on how they were doing.

Funnily enough though, even though I used to drive past their ground most days of the week when I was seeing my girlfriend, I never made it in there to see them play.

Most weekends I'd be back to GY and on others, Town had so many games around the Midlands, South East & London so most Saturdays were taken up with the Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ayodeji Owoeye

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.