November 17, 2021, 12:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not as good as the classic We 3 Kings of Riby Square

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Bigdog
November 17, 2021, 3:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from acko338
Grimsby Town have no God given right to walk this league, and have probably spent less, handed out more from player transfers this year to one man, while setting up a top 5 team.

Yes, we went top, and suddenly we are deemed world beaters, even with injuries then starting to pile up.

The system works with McAtee harassing back lines but we have no current similar type of player to do that job.

Souza is now being man marked and fouled on a regular timescale,  and the Shop and Taylor both look woefully isolated up top.

Waterfall is now blocked at every corner or free kick so that's been sussed as well.

Hurst will have to ensure that his defence becomes solid again, then get his players' confidence back again on the attack side.

Being shot shy does not help either - no one cares if an honest shot is saved but trying extra passes, then losing possession can be frustrating.

At some point, he will have to be brave enough to include Grant and Scannell, who both have what is needed on past history, but not yet this season.

So, Southend, will we be another charity case on Friday, or is it Day 1 of recover pride.??

My question - Could Harry Clifton do a McAtee role until he is fit again? He certainly has the running side to him.

This is where Hurst will earn his pay to turn the team fortunes around.

It's exactly where he played first half and for a short time second half until Fox was subbed against Aldershot.. Not sure it's the answer. Think we need to play him back on the left and try Bapaga in the role. Harry was effective for us wider when we were winning games. Not ideal, but we just haven't got a direct replacement for McAtee..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 17, 2021, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from Bigdog

It's exactly where he played first half and for a short time second half until Fox was subbed against Aldershot.. Not sure it's the answer. Think we need to play him back on the left and try Bapaga in the role. Harry was effective for us wider when we were winning games. Not ideal, but we just haven't got a direct replacement for McAtee..

Not against trying Bapaga but feel we are trying to put square pegs in round holes and as I said on another thread what we need as an alternative formation that we can just slip into when McAtee is unavailable or not playing particularly well.

PH made several statements in early season interviews that he wanted the team to be comfortable playing in a number of formations unfortunately, to date, we appear to be very reliant on one approach and maybe the return of Scannell and Grant from injury may offer us some further, and more successful, options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Bigdog
November 17, 2021, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not against trying Bapaga but feel we are trying to put square pegs in round holes and as I said on another thread what we need as an alternative formation that we can just slip into when McAtee is unavailable or not playing particularly well.

PH made several statements in early season interviews that he wanted the team to be comfortable playing in a number of formations unfortunately, to date, we appear to be very reliant on one approach and maybe the return of Scannell and Grant from injury may offer us some further, and more successful, options.

Agree, another way is to play two up top, but we really haven't got that sufficient quality option either. Also, I think McAtee may be fulliy fit before either Scannell or Grant are. It would be nice to get those two back as I think their (match fit)  physicality may make life a lot tougher for opposing defences.. we look a bit lightweight in tight areas sometimes..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Doom and Gloom

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.