Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another rumour??
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 387 Guests

Another rumour??

This thread currently has 10,431 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
November 15, 2021, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from chaos33

Jesus, come on. Really?!

Yes really. The original poster asked if GTFC wanted to get out of the NL as much as Chesterfield clearly do and I'm not convinced they do. Most fans are 100% bent on promotion as their main objective but I'm not sure how committed Pettits and Stockwoods, by their own admission not 'football people' really are. Of course they would be as pleased as all of us but I'm not convinced it's their first priority or that they want it that desperately. They see advancing the club in many other ways as more important perhaps.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
RichMariner
November 15, 2021, 4:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
No doubt that McAtee is a big miss for us but not so long ago we were talking about how the goals have been shared around the squad this season.

As for the JS and AP wealth discussion, I doubt they'll be chucking money at the club. It was clear from the start that their ambition was to run us sustainably while improving facilities for players and matchday experience for fans (and ultimately raise pride, aspirations, etc of the people of the town, and attract wider investment).

They could chuck money at it this season, but what's the gamble? Wrexham and Stockport are already using the same tactic, as are Chesterfield to some degree. Only two clubs can go up. Two or three big spenders will be left bitterly disappointed come May, guaranteed.

Imagine us chucking a load of cash at a new striker, which then causes other players to ask for improved contracts, and we miss out on promotion and go into the summer in heavy debt. That type of spending is not sustainable.

I've never wanted anyone to put their personal fortune into the club. Don't get me wrong, if it was a bottomless pit it'd be nice but the more you pile into the club the harder it is to stop when things don't go your way.

It's a bit like placing a bet. It doesn't come off so you start chasing your losses. Spending big in this division doesn't guarantee promotion, and considering we lose historical funding from the EFL it's a slippery slope.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 15, 2021, 4:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from barrattstandman
If we are so much a one man team then we have serious problems that need fixing urgently

Whilst we are not a one man team it is pretty evident from the matches McAtee has missed, including when he was substitute v Eastleigh, that we are totally reliant upon him to play the style of football that impressed us all during the great start to the season. We miss both his energy in closing down the opposition and his ability to link the midfield and attack and keep the ball moving forward at pace.

The major disappointment in my eyes is, in his absence, our inability to play positively with a slightly different formation that maintains the same level of attacking threat.

Very puzzled by Crookes being omitted on Saturday, more so given Khouri’s selection, as I think he has been excellent defensively and more than decent in providing support in attack. I stated earlier in the season that we were probably at least two players short, left sided midfield player and decent striker and that looks fairly accurate at the minute. That’s not a criticism of Clifton who would probably still make the team but an observation to give us better balance.

Hopefully a return to winning ways Friday night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
Abdul19
November 15, 2021, 5:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Ipswin

Top end of the NL so attracting excellent gates might be all they are really bothered about.

The excellent gates (and feelgood factor) will soon disappear though if we're miles off top spot, even if we're in the playoffs (we scraped 3000 one game towards the end of 15/16 (a Tuesday game admittedly but the playoff spot wasn't guaranteed)).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
MuddyWaters
November 15, 2021, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Been thinking about this since the first defeat. It must be very difficult for the rest of the team to play with such a different striker as Lenny. Is this as much about Taylor’s injury absence as it is about McAtee? Missing one is bad enough but both?

Lenny is very different to both and our style of play needed to adapt to his strengths and I’m not convinced Taylor is fully fit yet either.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
KingstonMariner
November 15, 2021, 5:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s not just transfer fees though is it. It’s wages as well. And if Chesterfield and Wrexham are paying for players that otherwise would be in League One, we’d be stupid to follow suit. You pay one player X times what the others are on and you demotivate the rest.

Don’t think for one moment that Hurst doesn’t want to bring in another striker. Or that the owners won’t support reasonable requests for the money.

As for P&S not being bothered about promotion because they’re “not football people”! Utter claptrap. Utter utter claptrap.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2021, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from RichMariner
No doubt that McAtee is a big miss for us but not so long ago we were talking about how the goals have been shared around the squad this season.

As for the JS and AP wealth discussion, I doubt they'll be chucking money at the club. It was clear from the start that their ambition was to run us sustainably while improving facilities for players and matchday experience for fans (and ultimately raise pride, aspirations, etc of the people of the town, and attract wider investment).

They could chuck money at it this season, but what's the gamble? Wrexham and Stockport are already using the same tactic, as are Chesterfield to some degree. Only two clubs can go up. Two or three big spenders will be left bitterly disappointed come May, guaranteed.

Imagine us chucking a load of cash at a new striker, which then causes other players to ask for improved contracts, and we miss out on promotion and go into the summer in heavy debt. That type of spending is not sustainable.

I've never wanted anyone to put their personal fortune into the club. Don't get me wrong, if it was a bottomless pit it'd be nice but the more you pile into the club the harder it is to stop when things don't go your way.

It's a bit like placing a bet. It doesn't come off so you start chasing your losses. Spending big in this division doesn't guarantee promotion, and considering we lose historical funding from the EFL it's a slippery slope.

It may well be sustainable doing it the way you suggest, but believe me, the minute we are not showing enough ambition and start to slip behind the ones that are then support will ebb away, both in numbers and feel-good factor.

It is more a hybrid model I would prefer; it is totally unrealistic for the owners to continue to enjoy gates far in excess of what they budgeted for, and not spend some of that money on good players who are in demand when we need them. Hurst is not the sort of man that will be banging on the door to spend money we don't have in any case.

I am not, and don't think other people are asking for a Wrexham type scenario - just a sensible improvement in the team to give us the best chance.

The owners may well have the money available to Hurst, and perhaps he doesn't want to spend it but I find it inconceivable there are no players out there that could be tempted with either a reasonable fee or wages. It is always a worry about current players wanting more, but no club would ever sign anybody during the season if that was the main consideration. They can all get a pay rise if and when we go up would be my answer!
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
bigbadmarinerbob
November 15, 2021, 5:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +122
Gold Stars: 2
So when is boogle signing then ? 🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
Ipswin
November 15, 2021, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
[quote=120785

As for P&S not being bothered about promotion because they’re “not football people”! Utter claptrap. Utter utter claptrap.[/quote]

I didn't say they weren't bothered about it at all. I answered the original question by saying that I didn't think they were as committed to promotion as (those bankrolling) Chesterfield or as desperate for it as most GTFC fans are (some fans appear satisfied by seeing good football and having better food and the fans corner thingy)

Hurst's not going to get the sack if we aren't promoted whereas Chesterfield Wrexham and other managers of the so-called 'top' teams well might just as our owners aren't going to throw a lot of cash at players either

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
November 15, 2021, 6:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

The fans certainly do but I'm not sure the owners are that bothered. Top end of the NL so attracting excellent gates might be all they are really bothered about. After all Football League might not look so attractive if we are bottom half with half the crowds

I thought you was a serious man, but this is absolutely pathetic.  You really think that all they are bothered about is money?  Pfft, I can't take you seriously any more!

Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another rumour??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.