Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 12,124 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
November 14, 2021, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,659
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC
My view is quite simplistic if McAtee and Taylor had been together we’d have beaten Notts County.

The away losses exposes a few things,

- Lack of quality away from the first 11

- The mix of inexperienced players and experience, there are too few players in these selections who know how to get themselves out of a spot of bother away from home.

-  Not enough “never say die” Dis like players to pop up with a late run headed goal to rescue a point.

- Some odd selections to be fair mainly driven by injuries/knocks and the in my view right reluctance to risk players. When we played a settled side we did well.

I didn’t expect to lose to Aldershot, Kiddy and Wealdstone and I think the players need to take some accountability for that as well as the manager.

The main thing this exposes is where still a big work in progress and to be truly serious contenders we need to bring in at least 2 or 3 maybe 4 experienced credible performance similar to the level Chesterfield, Wrexham, Stockport and Notts have.

For a number of reasons many not down to the manager I don’t expect an influx of the type described above to arrive in January.

In reality we all knew it would be a bumpy ride, this feels like a big bump that if not ridden over starting Friday
could define our season.  

Another point from Poojah's post above - have teams worked as out? When opposition managers look at our likely matchday squad they can wind up their feisty lads - some nice little youths for you to bully today. The total commitment to close down and harass is proving a winner against us away from home. We don't have midfield enforcer - McAtee is the player with the right kind physicality. That's why I'd like to see the no. 9 signing so we can play two up front and give McAtee free reign to impose himself behind the front two, especially against these southern pub sides that are turning us over on their own turf.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 91
louth_in_the_south
November 14, 2021, 2:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Difficult to come up with answers for yesterday’s performance really because it was a game we should be getting 3 points from .  
It’s easy to single out players for criticism but the number of players who have been criticised says to me that all the players have to take more personal responsibility and be better .
I don’t get the criticism of Sousa from some people. The one really creative and dangerous player we have who can beat 2 players at once and get a cross in . Shame our strikers are unable to get on the end of them .
2 strikers and a left mid on my January shopping list please .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 91
Hagrid
November 14, 2021, 2:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Difficult to come up with answers for yesterday’s performance really because it was a game we should be getting 3 points from .  
It’s easy to single out players for criticism but the number of players who have been criticised says to me that all the players have to take more personal responsibility and be better .
I don’t get the criticism of Sousa from some people. The one really creative and dangerous player we have who can beat 2 players at once and get a cross in . Shame our strikers are unable to get on the end of them .

Ah cmon his end product has been very poor for a number of games. He’s an exciting player but lets not pretend we are creating guilt edge chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 91
louth_in_the_south
November 14, 2021, 2:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
I’d rather have him in the team than not .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 91
MuddyWaters
November 14, 2021, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

My January shopping list depends on the ongoing fitness of Grant, Scannell and Wright. That said, we certainly need cover at left back, another midfield option and one striker minimum.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 91
Limerick Mariner
November 14, 2021, 3:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,659
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid

Ah cmon his end product has been very poor for a number of games. He’s an exciting player but lets not pretend we are creating guilt edge chances.

Slightly goes against what I said above about this league being better than 6 years ago, but if you look at some of the comedy goals scored yesterday you don't always need to create chances you just need to create mistakes and have the right player to pounce on them. Chesterfield and Wrexham didn't really create the goals they scored yesterday they just created a bit of chaotic defending by the opposition...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 91
barralad
November 14, 2021, 3:22pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Agree totally with this extract from Bigdog’s post

“Not playing three or four clever triangles when the end result is ponderous balls into our wide men or centre forward with their backs to the goal in front of a bank of defenders.. especially balls ending up being lumped forward by Waterfall after a twenty pass move that goes nowhere. Plenty of time for the oppo to get their shape and have a breather.”

I think this is where McAtee makes all the difference. When he’s playing we are much more incisive in our attack, and we attack more frequently, and he battles for the ball as soon as we lose it in their half. As a result we see less of the ball in our half. Our defensive frailties are less exposed.

I’d disagree with Barra on one thing. I thought the Town fans were poor yesterday. We lost heart too easily. No sustained singing in the second half. A few scattered efforts.

I think you've misread my post. We were outsung and out shouted by fans of a team which has lost 11 home games on the bounce.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 91
TheRealJohnLewis
November 14, 2021, 3:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
The Aldershot fans were brilliant and killed off most of the town songs with their noise.  It goes to show that a drummer who can hold the beat and keep the speed down it adds to the atmosphere. There were a couple of times when we sang along to the beat of their drum and the songs lasted a lot longer than they would have normally where the songs just get faster and faster
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 91
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2021, 3:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

I think you've misread my post. We were outsung and out shouted by fans of a team which has lost 11 home games on the bounce.

I did misread it. Apologies. I agree with what you said.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 91
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2021, 3:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
The Aldershot fans were brilliant and killed off most of the town songs with their noise.  It goes to show that a drummer who can hold the beat and keep the speed down it adds to the atmosphere. There were a couple of times when we sang along to the beat of their drum and the songs lasted a lot longer than they would have normally where the songs just get faster and faster

I don’t remember this need for speed being a thing in the old days. Is it because more contemporary music has faster beats? Or were older generations more used to community singing or drill?

It’s amazing how one word chants like ‘fish’ and ‘maaariners’ can soon run out of steam.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.