Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 254 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 12,125 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
November 13, 2021, 11:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Some positives, we seem to have been decent at home this season. Away from home we are clearly rubbish.
I expect to see all guns blazing against Southend, nothing less will be acceptable and hurst will realise this.
Honeymoon period truly over as personally I thought he was a bit lucky to get the gig this season given the abysmal job he did last season. Usually what I find With hurst is that he’s a good learner and I expect a completely different show on Friday night and I predict a very comfortable home win.
In addition, he now needs to gamble on a striker fairly soon so he’s own neck could be on the line. Personally I would go for a very robust defence in these away games as it is clear that we are defensively poor in the away games.

I still think there is a place for Pearson and longe king
Towler is a great prospect and in home games where you are dominant very good. In these away games I would go for blockers. Revan as many have said it is clearly out of his depth and should’ve been pulled off after 20 minutes today.
It is a man’s game The commentators on the radio saw him as a weak link. in a few minutes why on earth did hurst not utm
Utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 91
Limerick Mariner
November 14, 2021, 12:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,662
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah
Well, well, well; what to make of all this? Not just today, but this now somewhat concerning run of results. Have we ever had four straight defeats before at any point in our non-league journey?

It’s difficult to make sense of our current situation. We are, after all, still 3rd in the league and in touching distance of top spot. But much like I didn’t see our undeniably brilliant start to the season coming, nor had I anticipated this sudden, sharp decline in form. Even ignoring the fact we initially started so well, Wealdstone, Kidderminster and Aldershot aren’t games I’d have been expecting us to lose before the season started.

I felt a few weeks ago that this run of games, up to and including the Southend game, was one we had to be taking close to maximum points from. After Southend, 8 out of our next 9 games are against the current top 9. Regardless of form, that always looked to be a patch of games fraught with opportunities to drop points, and it looks even more treacherous this evening.

As we’re learning right now, things can change very quickly in football, but as it stands we all of a sudden look in real danger of falling out of the promotion picture altogether. We’re currently only 3 points clear of 8th place Solihull who we play a week on Tuesday. Lose 5 or 6 of those games against our promotion rivals, and we will be out of touch.

I can’t bring myself to be melodramatic about Hurst just yet - I’d have been delighted with where we are after 15 games back in the summer. However, I also can’t deny that this sequence of results is deeply concerning, particularly in light of what’s immediately in front of us.

We can’t blame injuries for today. Even without McAtee, we should have had enough in us not to lose to an Aldershot side with an absolutely dire home record, almost as bad as it could have been going into the game.

There’s something deeper at play[/b], certainly. Have we been worked out? Has something gone on behind the scenes? Were we in a false position?

I don’t know the answer, but I do know that this next few weeks will be a big test for the new, chipper Hurst. The games between now and mid January will be season-defining.

Clearly, even with a patched up side we should have got something from today. I think the deeper thing at play is yes we were in a false position. Look at the squad in the cold light of 4 defeats on the bounce and it really doesn't look good enough. 4 young lads in todays match day squad - no matter what their potential they are still young lads and one of them probably isn't ready at all. We've have one 33 year old striker with a moderate League 2 scoring record and one 32 year old forward with no sort of scoring record, save for previous spell with us at this level, when this league was undoubtedly weaker. The bookies had us fringe play-offs and with this squad that looks about right. What PH has done thus far is get this squad to outperform, with us looking pretty solid defensively, but now it's only just (3 points above 8th place). When all was going well I still thought we'd need the no. 9. but now I think we need two players to be solid play-off candidates.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 91
Mayaman
November 14, 2021, 1:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,393
Gold Stars: 73
The whole situation baffles me.  McAtee has been a key player this season already but we've won games when he hasn't participated.   The issue is either tactics or a psychological one.  What has happened to the team spirit?  Why have players changed from 'solid' to 'nervy' overnight?  The root needs to be addressed. We are till calling for a number 9 but we can't create chances for the strike force. Five games ago, we had the most goals scored in the league with contributions from all over the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 91
Mayaman
November 14, 2021, 5:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,393
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from DB

Now which is the correct way to approach such a situation:-

A/ Look here sonny you'll have to do better, I know it's not your fault and you're doing your best. We've just gone a goal down and might lose the game. Tell you what they can blame me for your error' if that will help.

B/ What effing hell were you doing.

It's all a matter of choice but for me and 3 points lost I'll take B

It depends on the person surely.  Some people like B as it galvanizes them.  Some get demotivated by B and therefore A would be a better option.  I remember recently JT was saying that we scored a good goal.  He laughed and replied, "it wasn't good, it was decent."  No matter how roughty toughty and northern we are, we all need praise from time to time.  It's a human trait.   It doesn't have to be gushing, schmaltzy American style stuff but acknowledgment of a job well done goes a long way.  When we've won convincingly in the past, he has focused on the X amount of minutes we lost focus.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 91
blundellpork
November 14, 2021, 6:09am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from mariner91
Playing Khouri today was the weirdest selection decision Hurst has ever made in however many hundreds of games he has been in charge of us.

Bold statement. Damien Spencer? Louis Soares? Tomlinson ahead of Bogle/ Amond, loaning Dean Henderson but then leaving him on the bench, despite being head and shoulders above that level. There are plenty of comparables.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 91
pen penfras
November 14, 2021, 6:58am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Mayaman

It depends on the person surely.  Some people like B as it galvanizes them.  Some get demotivated by B and therefore A would be a better option.  I remember recently JT was saying that we scored a good goal.  He laughed and replied, "it wasn't good, it was decent."  No matter how roughty toughty and northern we are, we all need praise from time to time.  It's a human trait.   It doesn't have to be gushing, schmaltzy American style stuff but acknowledgment of a job well done goes a long way.  When we've won convincingly in the past, he has focused on the X amount of minutes we lost focus.  

I remember playing in Sunday league and being berated for making a mistake, not even one that led to a goal. I knew more than anybody that I'd made that mistake and didn't need it pointing out to me. As a 17 year old being singled out put me in my shell and made me want to hide away, but an arm around the shoulder and encouragement would have been a much better approach. Now I'm a lot older, I'd probably just tell him to do one and it might even fire me up, but it's still not the right thing to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 91
Abdul19
November 14, 2021, 7:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Poojah
Have we ever had four straight defeats before at any point in our non-league journey?

The 4 games before the Wrexham trophy final (yes weather fans, we know it was cold).

Kidderminster, Mansfield, Cambridge and Nuneaton.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 91
easypeersy
November 14, 2021, 8:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
McKeown is well past his sell by date.
Hurst is winding us all up again!
So frustrating as a supporter!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 91
Humbercod
November 14, 2021, 8:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from easypeersy
McKeown is well past his sell by date.
Hurst is winding us all up again!
So frustrating as a supporter!

His all round game has been questioned for a while now but listening on the radio sounded like he pulled off a worldly save?
These save’s he makes have been the difference between 1 point or 3 so I wouldn’t write him off.

Saying that I would bring in Cracombe now he’s another one who deserves his chance, and Mckeown has come back looking a better player after a touch on the sidelines.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 91
mariner91
November 14, 2021, 8:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from blundellpork

Bold statement. Damien Spencer? Louis Soares? Tomlinson ahead of Bogle/ Amond, loaning Dean Henderson but then leaving him on the bench, despite being head and shoulders above that level. There are plenty of comparables.

Damian Spencer was rubbish but was never played out of position as far as I’m aware.

Soares was an underwhelming signing but playing him in his normal position ahead of our other players at the time, particularly given how well he’d played that season before we signed him, was not baffling.

Tomlinson wasn’t as good as Bogle or Amond but was played in his correct position and I think it was done to make a point that they weren’t doing enough defending from the front.

Not playing Henderson was odd given how good he is but McKeown was/is an adequate keeper ahead of him.

Playing a young lad who has barely played all season in a position he is not used to in front of another very young player who has been questionable at times is bizarre. Even more bizarre when Bapaga was on the bench and came on so was presumably fit enough and although has been a bit hit and miss, he has at times been our best attacking threat. Hell, Clifton has played out on the left and done well at times so it would have even made more sense to put Clifton there and at least have Khouri in the middle in a position he’s comfortable in. Add in the fact it had clearly been identified by Aldershot as being a major weak point and was targeted from early in the first half yet it was inexplicably not changed at half time and it is, your honour, convincingly the weirdest selection decision Hurst has ever made whilst in charge of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.