11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
BottesfordMariner
November 16, 2021, 12:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Well I think this is a big game for Town and a lot of pressure on us to boot.

3 straight league defeats (4 overall) including to strugglers like Wealdstone and Aldershot. A 4 pt lead at the top has evaporated and we sit 3rd. Town need a win and quick. That bright start to the season will be soon forgotten if not. The flowing football of a few weeks ago has disappeared for the time being. Need to dig in and an ugly win will do fine.

We have certainly adapted better than Southend to relegation so far. All teams hit  a sticky patch at some point. Hopefully this has been ours. But if we have serious ambitions about challenging at the end of the season we need to get back to winning ways now. A run of 6 or 7 games like we have had could leave us well off the pace.

And a few fancied sides who got off to sluggish starts like Stockport & Wrexham are starting to get their act together and coming up behind us. Wrexham a couple of weeks ago were something like 12/13 pts behind us now only 6.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 108
ska face
November 16, 2021, 12:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1460588608239415303

Absolutely unreal. Can remember having a chat with 1mickylyons a while back and he was absolutely adamant that there was massive, untapped potential for town fans in the area - absolutely spot on.

The fans are doing their bit. Might be a touch under with ST holders not making it on a Friday night, but 6k but Tuesday is some going after the last few weeks.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 108
Jaws
November 16, 2021, 12:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Club tweeted over 6,000 tickets issued but tweeted an hour ago (and since deleted) that over 6,500 had been sold, with the word sold in bold.

Not sure what to make of that.

Happy to now be wrong about us losing 1,000-1,500 from the home gate!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 108
pontoonlew
November 16, 2021, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from quebec38
Harsh on Revan to say he’s out of his depth IMO. I think we sometimes over analyse things. It’s a game of football. As an 18 year old do you think you’d feel out of your depth playing against men in their 20s? And don’t forget this guy has more ability/potential than 90% of those he’s coming up against so he should be confident.

Things haven’t clicked for him here yet though have they but maybe we need to look inwardly rather than just say he’s rubbish and out of his depth. He’s played both sides of defence, wing back and as a winger now so far and been second fiddle to Crookes, rightly so. He’s hardly been able to get up to speed tbf but you could argue that you need to seize your opportunity when it’s presented and he hasn’t.

I'm not sure we can say he has more potential than 90% of those he plays against just by virtue of the fact he happens to play for Villa. I'm not sure there's room for sentiment anyway, he may well go on and have a great career but the cold hard fact is that he doesn't look very good right at this moment. Conor Townsend arrived here as an 18 year old and looked head and shoulders above anybody else in the division.

He may end up growing into mens football and I really hope he does, but that doesn't help us right now does it? He was given a start very early on at Stockport and quite frankly he looked poor, Crookes has been very solid in that position and it's bemusing how he didn't make it into the side ahead of him on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 108
quebec38
November 16, 2021, 1:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
All very fair points pontoonlew 👍🏻

The more I look at the squad without McAtee the more frustrated I am. Obviously he is irreplaceable because of his ability but there is nobody that can even play a similar role.

Good job I’m not the manager but if I was I would be going long ball on Friday chucking everything in to a narrow front 3 and feeding off the scraps. Width to come from the full-backs overlapping and getting in crosses then with 3 in the box there should be no excuses for not getting on the end of stuff.

Sousa hasn’t done anything wrong but he would miss out to try and make it work.

I’m not anti-Macca by any stretch and he hasn’t been the problem, but I feel like we could do with a change there tbh. I don’t think the quality of shots faced so far necessitate a super shot stopper but we need to sure up on balls in from crosses and corners where he is definitely vulnerable.

Hoofball I’m sure won’t go down too well at all but could be effective?

Crocombe

Efete Waterfall Towler Crookes

Hunt  Fox  Clifton

Taylor Lenny Grant
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 108
mariner91
November 16, 2021, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from quebec38
All very fair points pontoonlew 👍🏻

The more I look at the squad without McAtee the more frustrated I am. Obviously he is irreplaceable because of his ability but there is nobody that can even play a similar role.

Good job I’m not the manager but if I was I would be going long ball on Friday chucking everything in to a narrow front 3 and feeding off the scraps. Width to come from the full-backs overlapping and getting in crosses then with 3 in the box there should be no excuses for not getting on the end of stuff.

Sousa hasn’t done anything wrong but he would miss out to try and make it work.

I’m not anti-Macca by any stretch and he hasn’t been the problem, but I feel like we could do with a change there tbh. I don’t think the quality of shots faced so far necessitate a super shot stopper but we need to sure up on balls in from crosses and corners where he is definitely vulnerable.

Hoofball I’m sure won’t go down too well at all but could be effective?

Crocombe

Efete Waterfall Towler Crookes

Hunt  Fox  Clifton

Taylor Lenny Grant

Good job indeed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 108
quebec38
November 16, 2021, 4:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Ha ha whereas your comment does wonders for discussion which is what I was aiming for. I was hoping for red crosses aplenty, but then maybe people also offering what they thought would be a better alternative.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 108
lukeo
November 16, 2021, 4:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,356
Gold Stars: 143
6,000 tickets sold already.

Anyway.. Id like to see Hunt play in behind Taylor. Give Hunt some more freedom, he's our best passer and he can feed the front 3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 108
Hagrid
November 16, 2021, 4:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from lukeo
6,000 tickets sold already.

Anyway.. Id like to see Hunt play in behind Taylor. Give Hunt some more freedom, he's our best passer and he can feed the front 3.

i dont think thats the best position for him at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 108
lew chaterleys lover
November 16, 2021, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
McAtee was back running last week so I would not rule him out yet, unless I have missed an update.

He is obviously a very fit lad so if his injury has cleared I would imagine he would go straight back in. Hope so as he is the one player we cannot really do without.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 108
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Southend at home Friday night

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.