Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We're well thought of.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

We're well thought of.

This thread currently has 7,172 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
November 11, 2021, 1:37am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I went to Blackpool Tues/Weds for a coast walk which due to the weather and a foot injury turned into a tram hop and pub crawl.
Fleetwood were playing Altrincham so I thought why not although I did think it was an FA Cup game rather then that pizza cup balderdash, still it was only a fiver.
A crowd of 600 in the one open stand tried to make a decent atmosphere but what made me laugh was the two blokes next to me deriding the dozen away fans and wishing it was Grimsby as there'd be a decent away crowd.
I told them who I was and pointed out we're not really keen on the competition.
The buggers started telling everyone around and suddenly there was a chant of "Is that all you take away" directed at me rather than the Altrincham fans.
Comedy gold but I suppose you had to be there.
Talking to them in the pub it seems we're well thought of though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2021, 6:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
You realise it was Accrington Stanley rather than Altrincham?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 28
thefish
November 11, 2021, 6:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GollyGTFC

And you were at Fleetwood Rugby Club, not football?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
DB
November 11, 2021, 6:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
The beer must be strong in that part of the world!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
GYinScuntland
November 11, 2021, 9:58am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Schoolboy error but as DB suggested, the beer was strong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2021, 10:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
How things change...there was a time when a club would have dreaded 800+ Town fans descending on them.

This is a club going in the right direction (at last).

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
The Yard Dog
November 11, 2021, 7:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Before Covid each year back end of August would take the kids to Blackpool for a week.  I always wear one of my GTFC tops, the amount times I would be stopped by fans from other clubs (Man City, Sheff Utd, Barnsley, Coventry, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham to mention a few) for a chat, missus fed up come the end of the week.  Many would say they miss not playing us, always surprised by the amount fans we took to the away games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
chelseacity
November 11, 2021, 7:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I got stopped at Sloane Square tube station on a Saturday morning last year with my GTFC shirt on, i went into a pub down the Kings Road, obviously full of Chelsea fans,  so many comments about a club bringing 5,000 fans on a Tuesday night and taking over the old shed end, said to me many times in that pub, you've got bigger support than most Premier league clubs that come here by miles, my head swelled so much I couldn't get out the door.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2021, 9:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
I've told this story many times...

After 'that' Wimbledon game me and 2 mates were in a pub in Covent Garden and a table full of Chelsea fans, who were a little the worse for wear, started going round the pub asking blokes who they supported and what game they'd been to. We were dreading them coming to us as we thought we might get a kicking. Anyway they did come to us and we thought we better go down in flames so told them we supported Grimsby and we'd been at Wimbledon.

We were treated like royalty. The Chelsea fans were full of respect and told tales of when they'd played us and what a good team we were. There was also a little bit of 80's football thuggery mentioned but even then...we got massive respect because out 'lads' didn't run from the Chelsea boys.

A strange and slightly surreal evening. Unsurprisingly I was home much later than expected and Mrs CummingsTackle was not impressed with me falling through the door in the middle of the night with tales of derring do.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
gytone
November 11, 2021, 9:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,019
Gold Stars: 7
Also After 'that ' Wimbledon game a coach load of us were in a pub which turned out to be a Millwall pub. The keyboard player was blind but somehow found out about us lot, he said he could smell fish it must be the Grimsby fans. We were all a little bit worried but there was no bother in fact just a healthy respect for us.
I remember being in the loo at the end of the night when a couple of Millwall fans came in and had a bit of a chat, they also told of some skirmishes with Town fans, great night in the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We're well thought of.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.