4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Phil the cod
November 13, 2021, 11:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
He's even more of a legend at Walsall, he banged goals in for fun during his time there, also highly regarded at Birmingham city.
I almost forgot about his great record as a forward thinking about how good he was as a manager.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
TheBuckleyBabes
November 13, 2021, 12:27pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +19
Phil The Cod - Yes Alan Buckley is a legend at Walsall not only for the 205 goals scored for Saddlers but also, just like as in the case of Grimsby Town, the quality of football was superb. In his first season as player - manager at the age of just 29 steered Walsall to promotion from the old 4th Division to the 3rd and still scored 18 goals!  He also became the first manager to lead the club to a semi final of a major competition and in total had 13 years as player and manager. I'm a personal friend of AB and have been for a number of years and he alerted me to the GTFC news article and this excellent board.  He's a proud man and proud of his 45 years in the game and why not!   I do follow the fortunes of Town from afar and hope the club gets back into the FL  as soon as possible. The supporters bar at Bescot was refurbish during the close season and a large picture of the Goal King is on the wall area as you walk in!

Alan Buckley - Grimsby Town's  most successful manager and Walsall's record goal scorer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
toontown
November 13, 2021, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
It's not going too far to say that to some degree Sir Alan influenced who I am today - as a teenager my first season as a town fan was his first year as manager. My love for football, my love for football played the right way, and my love for Grimsby Town owes so much to him and especially his first 3 years as manager.

So pleased that the new board has done this, just the sort of thing I've come to expect from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Phil the cod
November 13, 2021, 2:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from TheBuckleyBabes
Phil The Cod - Yes Alan Buckley is a legend at Walsall not only for the 205 goals scored for Saddlers but also, just like as in the case of Grimsby Town, the quality of football was superb. In his first season as player - manager at the age of just 29 steered Walsall to promotion from the old 4th Division to the 3rd and still scored 18 goals!  He also became the first manager to lead the club to a semi final of a major competition and in total had 13 years as player and manager. I'm a personal friend of AB and have been for a number of years and he alerted me to the GTFC news article and this excellent board.  He's a proud man and proud of his 45 years in the game and why not!   I do follow the fortunes of Town from afar and hope the club gets back into the FL  as soon as possible. The supporters bar at Bescot was refurbish during the close season and a large picture of the Goal King is on the wall area as you walk in!

He used to or still lives near me, haven't seen him around in a long time.
Hope Walsall do well too, whenever I hear the word Walsall, can't help but think of another legend........Noddy holder.and Slade.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Phil the cod
November 13, 2021, 3:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from toontown
It's not going too far to say that to some degree Sir Alan influenced who I am today - as a teenager my first season as a town fan was his first year as manager. My love for football, my love for football played the right way, and my love for Grimsby Town owes so much to him and especially his first 3 years as manager.

So pleased that the new board has done this, just the sort of thing I've come to expect from them.

How does this warrant red crosses, obviously not Grimsby fans, or most likely fentyist physcophants. Some real saddos around.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
TheBuckleyBabes
November 13, 2021, 8:05pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

He used to or still lives near me, haven't seen him around in a long time.
Hope Walsall do well too, whenever I hear the word Walsall, can't help but think of another legend........Noddy holder.and Slade.

Cheers Phil. Noddy Holder born a mile away from where I grew up.  I have met him, at Bescot, a few years ago when he was special guest. A lot smaller than I imagined.  

About 9 years ago AB did a Q and A night at Walsall pub and was on top form didn't duck or dive any questions and was there for maybe 4 hours. There was a small interval and I went up to him and told him I'd done a few on-line articles that featured him and is there any way I could contact him? He told me to write to him c/o GTFC and true to his word, he emailed me back and corresponded with me to and forth.  About 6 months later his book was close to coming out and he and his ghost writer asked if I would help out supplying a few pictures for the book and FB page and if I could plug it a bit at the Walsall end. Of course I was honoured to help my all time hero in any shape or form.  There was meant to be a gala book sign event at Bescot just like you had at BP. Everything was arranged then WFC backed out of the event citing they were worried that they wouldn't sell enough tickets (as if!) Obviously Buck and his team were livid, and rightly so.  The secretary of a supporters group stepped in, got the Saddlers Club to do a book sign before and after a game and all the money was collected on the door by the fans secretary and his partner. So AB had 100% of the book sales and rightly so. WFC for their greed got nowt.

Alan Buckley - Grimsby Town's  most successful manager and Walsall's record goal scorer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
barralad
November 13, 2021, 8:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Phil the cod
He's even more of a legend at Walsall, he banged goals in for fun during his time there, also highly regarded at Birmingham city.
I almost forgot about his great record as a forward thinking about how good he was as a manager.

I forget how many goals he scored but I had a conversation with him at the Q and A he did at Blundell Park and he said he could remember every one.
One of my first solo away games was Walsall in September 72. Town lost 1-0 and I'm almost certain the Buckley goal machine scored.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
TheBuckleyBabes
November 13, 2021, 8:49pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I forget how many goals he scored but I had a conversation with him at the Q and A he did at Blundell Park and he said he could remember every one.
One of my first solo away games was Walsall in September 72. Town lost 1-0 and I'm almost certain the Buckley goal machine scored.

AB didn't join Walsall till August 1973. Just checked and it was a chap called John Woodward who got the only goal at FP in September 72.

Buck did score 2 against Grimsby in 73-4 . One in a 2-0 win at FP in 74-5. A penalty at FP in 75-6  Another pen at FP in 76-7 and one at BP in the return game.

He was only booked once in his entire career, and ironically that was at BP but he said he felt justified in retaliating at he was hacked down from behind and stamped on by the offending lad!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
arryarryarry
November 13, 2021, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

I was at that game, I was also there on the 4th October 1975 when we lost 0-2, not a particularly memorable game apart from a 16 year old coming on as a substitute for his Town debut.   
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Phil the cod
November 14, 2021, 10:57am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from TheBuckleyBabes

Cheers Phil. Noddy Holder born a mile away from where I grew up.  I have met him, at Bescot, a few years ago when he was special guest. A lot smaller than I imagined.  

About 9 years ago AB did a Q and A night at Walsall pub and was on top form didn't duck or dive any questions and was there for maybe 4 hours. There was a small interval and I went up to him and told him I'd done a few on-line articles that featured him and is there any way I could contact him? He told me to write to him c/o GTFC and true to his word, he emailed me back and corresponded with me to and forth.  About 6 months later his book was close to coming out and he and his ghost writer asked if I would help out supplying a few pictures for the book and FB page and if I could plug it a bit at the Walsall end. Of course I was honoured to help my all time hero in any shape or form.  There was meant to be a gala book sign event at Bescot just like you had at BP. Everything was arranged then WFC backed out of the event citing they were worried that they wouldn't sell enough tickets (as if!) Obviously Buck and his team were livid, and rightly so.  The secretary of a supporters group stepped in, got the Saddlers Club to do a book sign before and after a game and all the money was collected on the door by the fans secretary and his partner. So AB had 100% of the book sales and rightly so. WFC for their greed got nowt.

Yes, it's a good book, Chris Hargreaves book "where's your caravan" gives an insight into the Buckley man management ethos.
His style reminds me so much of the Brian Clough school of man management, his players would even be at Clough's house doing his gardening jobs for him they thought that much of him..... imagine that now.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.