ginnywings
November 6, 2021, 10:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from heppy88

Good post. I’ve been struggling to put my finger on the cause of our current predicament and this post helps. We are in a great position in the table and I hope we can capitalise on this. The problem for Hurst is the fans have seen what a fully fit squad can be capable of and anything less than promotion will be hard to swallow.

Not so sure about that. We've had a great start but have not beaten a side at the top end yet. We could be in a bit of a false position and we did have longer than most to get prepared and ready for the start of the season, which may explain why we have done so well until recently. Other teams are now getting into their stride and we will definitely know our credentials in the next 2 months, when we have a very tough run of games.

As we are now, I can't see us winning the league unless we get to Jan in a strong position and then strengthen in the window.

I think the play offs would be a good outcome given the state the team was in last season. Obviously, I hope we now go on an epic unbeaten run and prove me wrong, but I think recent injuries have exposed our lack of strength in depth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 84
DB
November 7, 2021, 3:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from GrimRob
You're only as good as your last result, and our last result was pretty terrible. This could be our best chance for a decade to get back up, so we need to make a deal happen, if we don't want to be marooned at this level long term.

I agree with you but the problem to me is the desire of the players Hurst has targeted to come here. I think this is the main problem along with league clubs not wanting to release fringe players as they cannot replace them, till January, if their 1st team squad players are injured.

1878 did say at the beginning of the season money is available if need, well it's needed now, so presumably, it's there waiting to be used. As many have posted there is no point in filling the shirt for the sake of it, it needs to be the right person which I have mentioned above.

The start of the season had not been expected by anyone so we will just have to be patient and hope for a quick turnaround of our fortunes.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 84
aldi_01
November 7, 2021, 4:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Disagree. Football clubs should concentrate on winning football matches first and foremost.

Not when you’re in the mess we are…it’s much bigger than simply winning…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 84
aldi_01
November 7, 2021, 4:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Team loses best players and suddenly doesn’t look as good…hardly anything new is it?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 84
realist
November 7, 2021, 4:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,686
Gold Stars: 41
It wasn't long ago how some were praising the strength in depth of the squad. Now we lose a couple of players and that is the reason for our slump in form. Which way is it.?

Poor play and effort from the team shows it is slipping into the Hurst mould.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 84
DB
November 7, 2021, 5:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
I don't think it's a question of strength in the depth of the squad, but a lack of fire power up front. We haven't got a No 9 and it now shows, McAtee out and suddenly we look weak upfront.

If Hurst is to believed then he has targeted players but for whatever reason, they don't want to come. You cannot make players come here, as we found out last season.  Max is very good but his body does not seem to hold up to the rigours of a football pro and as good as Scannel is it's all about him seeing his contract out. No game time so far, then he will need match time to bring his game up to speed so we'll be lucky if he plays beyond Christmas; injury-free of course.

I think it's time to set those two free, as much as I regret seeing Max go ( his future is probably best as a semi pro) it would be better for the club. Replace them with youth/reserve teamers until January and them bring in 2 strikers and a midfielder on the 1st Jan.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 84
KingstonMariner
November 7, 2021, 7:59am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Disagree. Football clubs should concentrate on winning football matches first and foremost.

I think the owners have had more success building and running organisations than any of us. They know what they’re doing.

But let’s hear what you would stop doing if you were parachuted into control of the club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 84
HertsGTFC
November 7, 2021, 8:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Bigdog

Here are the answers..

McAtee injured
Taylor injured
Efete suspended then Covid
Clifton struggling with an injury on and off
Sousa injured and in and out of the side
Hunt not starting games

The replacements for these players have not been either good enough or consistent enough..

The forced and unforced changes in selection and shape in the mid field is hurting us as much as the absence of any one particular individual.

Earlier in the season we where playing balls into channels and beyond the line of attack with players making runs that allowed us to get in behind teams we face.

We’ll come back to some form but PH needs to give the better players like Hunt a good run I know you have to manage young players development but he’s here to play football. Suspension apart the same with Bapaga.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 84
barrattstandman
November 7, 2021, 8:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 17
We are all in agreement that we need another forward but in reality we haven't been creating many chances either in these defeats .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 84
louth_in_the_south
November 7, 2021, 8:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Wasn’t Hunt out yesterday because Wednesday wouldn’t let him play rather than being rested ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reality Check

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.