3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
November 5, 2021, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
...............previous post sent before completed.

Grimsby is also a lower than average social-economic area.  This would normally deter expensive away travel.

This factor, and the earlier factors, means that barriers have been overcome that would normally limit our away numbers.  This makes our excellent away support numbers even more impressive.

We have a higher share of exiles than many clubs done south.  This increases away totals at southern based clubs.  But not the 1,200 at Stockport.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
grimps
November 6, 2021, 2:06pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,111
Gold Stars: 46
I expect it’ll shoot up after we’ve played Notts , Halifax and Chesterfield which we’ll take 2-3000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Eastendmariner
November 7, 2021, 8:55pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Top shout support  no doubt UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
White_shorts
November 8, 2021, 3:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -626
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Poojah
Average of 873 in the league with some really shít fixture / midweek combinations thrown in for good measure. Our only two away games within 180 miles have both been on a Tuesday night.

Chaos mentions League One and Two - I honestly think there's several teams in the Championship who'd struggle to compete with that. It's hard to find complete stats for it but here's a link for Championship away followings in the middle of August, right the start of the season on a Saturday when the weather was nice and we'd all just been allowed back en masse into football grounds:

https://fanbanter.co.uk/every-leagues-away-attendances-at-the-weekend-16th-august-2021/2/

700 Fulham at Huddersfield
430 Bristol City at Boro (fewer than we took to Torquay)
350 Sheffield United at Swansea (fewer than any following we've taken this season, even Bromsgrove)

Without a shadow of a doubt, punching massively above our weight when it comes to away travel. We've been doing that for a good 10 years or so, but this season is something else.

That Sheffield United figure is surprising. I don't know what the asterisk denotes. This article states the Blades have had an average following of 2,075 since then:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk.....gham-forest-22004423

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 8, 2021, 6:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
[quote=140519]

That Sheffield United figure is surprising. I don't know what the asterisk denotes. This article states the Blades have had an average following of 2,075 since then:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk.....gham-forest-22004423

Be great to see attendances like that in the Osmond every week, I think the championship is a totally different league to when we was in it. I’ll be happy with league one nowadays if we ever get there

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Limerick Mariner
November 8, 2021, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
We are currently taking more than Lincoln and Hull put together - both had sub 500 for midweek games in Lancashire. I know it's like Town playing in Louth but Stockport had a very impressive 5,100 at Bolton on Saturday - half the crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2021, 11:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Nearly as much as we took to Palace the other year.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
MarinerWY
November 9, 2021, 12:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
...............previous post sent before completed.

Grimsby is also a lower than average social-economic area.  This would normally deter expensive away travel.

This factor, and the earlier factors, means that barriers have been overcome that would normally limit our away numbers.  This makes our excellent away support numbers even more impressive.

We have a higher share of exiles than many clubs done south.  This increases away totals at southern based clubs.  But not the 1,200 at Stockport.  

All good points, but re: your last paragraph, the trajectory of North East Lincs over the past few decades (opportunities etc for people, younger people moving to cities in greater numbers etc.) has meant there are exiles all over - Leeds and Manchester have loads of Mariners based there. So they would contribute to Stockport, Altrincham etc away followings
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › away followings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.