Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 318 Guests

Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

This thread currently has 3,701 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
November 4, 2021, 12:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I watched a game yesterday and it took 2 minutes 40 seconds to find out if it was a goal or not ,  far too long.

We tried years ago that there should be daylight between the attacker and last defender which I thought worked well but it was reversed after the short trial.

We should not have to wait more than a few seconds to see if a goal stands or not.

Goal line technology has been a success and VAR could still be if they can get the waiting time down to say 10 seconds longer than that just go with the refs decision.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
ex-merseymariner
November 4, 2021, 1:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9

My only experience of VAR at a Town game was the Cup tie at Selhurst Park, where Andrew Fox got sent off, and it remains one of only 2 occasions where I've had to resort to Twitter (whilst being at the game) to get confirmed what the heck had occurred.    Unfortunate end to Fox's GTFC career.   Also, I didn't like Andros Townsend chasing the ref demanding he revert to VAR.

Of course had we been drawn at home in the Cup, VAR wouldn't have been available.

And the other occasion was the Bapaga second yellow at Altrincham this season. But that was just standard urine-poor refereeing which VAR would presumably have upheld?!

VAR, in addition to diving, rubbish punditry, and the big clubs hoovering up all the best players, is a factor in the Match of the Day and thus the Premiership losing its appeal for me.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2021, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
One of the things I loved about football was that (quality apart) in principle it was the same game on Bradley pitches as it was at BP and Old Trafford. The same in the FA Cup as it was in the World Cup.

VAR has changed this and now it's even different in the same competition used at some ties in the FA and EFL cups but not others, though I know it's inevitable these differences don't sit well with me.

I was o.k. with goal line technology as that's pretty black and white as long as all of the ball is over the line but I still think there is room for interpretation with VAR and I thought that was one of the things it was meant to eradicate.  

What I would be delighted to see is the replacement of "assistant referees" with robots that kept up with play, called off side correctly and can see who the ball last touched before it went out when they are stood 3 yards away.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Abdul19
November 4, 2021, 2:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

And the other occasion was the Bapaga second yellow at Altrincham this season. But that was just standard urine-poor refereeing which VAR would presumably have upheld?!

VAR, in addition to diving,

Aye, VAR doesn't look at second yellows.

And on diving, when the VAR overturns a penalty decision, why is the bloke they've just spotted diving not booked for diving?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
buckstown
November 4, 2021, 2:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
My view when it was introduced is that we'll wonder in years to come how we managed without it, and that hasn't changed. There's so much cheating in football we have to help referees to get the big decisions right and it can't be acceptable that a cheat gets away with a dive or handball to win a game
It's still too slow and I would give them 20 seconds to decide, if it's not clear and obvious after 20 seconds somebody gets the benefit of the doubt. They also need to enhance communication with the crowd so everyone knows what's going on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
RichMariner
November 4, 2021, 2:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
For those of you who enjoy cricket, I like the fact that technology still affords 'umpire's call' on LBWs.

I can see how VAR has tried to introduce this to football, so that the referee on the pitch retains ultimate responsibility on either sticking to or overturning a big decision.

That's the element I like, but it hasn't advanced or added to the game.

One week a player gets the slightest tap to their thigh and they go down. Ref points to the spot. Technically, he got touched, defender didn't win the ball, it's soft, but VAR isn't going to overturn it as it isn't a clear and obvious error.

Same day but in a game elsewhere, same thing happens only this time the ref waves the appeals away. No penalty, and VAR won't overturn it because the ref didn't think it was strong enough contact and a bit soft.

This is football's equivalent of umpire's call. Nice idea, but doesn't add anything because it's referee's call and they are inconsistent from one game to the next.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
pontoonlew
November 4, 2021, 4:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
VAR will continue to be bad whilst the idiots that referee games in this country continue to get away with sub-par performances.

I thought it was excellent in the Euros and diabolical in the PL. Its got slightly better this year but I wince at the thought of the useless pillocks in this division operating it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
Geordie Mariner 66
November 4, 2021, 6:01pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +43
Gold Stars: 2
Goal line technology yes, VAR no.

In the cup game at Palace we spent 5 minutes looking at each other wondering what was holding up the game. VAR overturned a referees decision to book our player for a poor tackle - which he’d clearly seen and decided on the severity of punishment. Yellow replaced with red, 5 minutes in to the game and the match was ruined for the magnificent 7000 travelling mariners.

If the ref points to the centre spot having given a goal I want the celebration to be spontaneous, not have to pause for a VAR check.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 4, 2021, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from Geordie Mariner 66
Goal line technology yes, VAR no.

In the cup game at Palace we spent 5 minutes looking at each other wondering what was holding up the game. VAR overturned a referees decision to book our player for a poor tackle - which he’d clearly seen and decided on the severity of punishment. Yellow replaced with red, 5 minutes in to the game and the match was ruined for the magnificent 7000 travelling mariners.

I don’t think Moss realised how high Fox caught Townsend. Into a planted leg.

The controversy of whether VAR should be used in some FA Cup matches in the same round but not others is valid. I agree with that. It was a definite red though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
aldi_01
November 5, 2021, 3:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Saying VAR is necessary Becauee someone thinks the refereeing isn’t very good is ridiculous. Standard of refereeing in this country is no different to any other; you get some that have good games, some have bad. Much like players…

VAR adds little to the game and just gives managers/players another thing to beat referees with. It’s not without risk of bad decisions and is still ultimately someone’s opinion. The way we adopted it in this country is like everything else, we wanted it but we’re never going to look what others did and adapt that to our game…take the monitors for instance, Mike Riley (actually one of the issues in refereeing at that level) didn’t want referees using them, yet when we saw them being used in the World Cup and in Europe it did work…English arrogance and a ‘we know best’ mentality meant the VAR roll out here was shite…

The application of VAR is convoluted and as I say, doesn’t really improve the game as far as I can see…we still get controversy and Riley (him again) made a big deal of referees ‘missing’ decisions…decisions nobody in the games involved called for or moaned weren’t given…

It’s here to stay but as far as I can see, it’s been brought in to appease the money men and some jumped up ex footballers in a studio…it separates what was an ‘equal’ game, as someone pointed it, quality aside, football was the same technically be it on ploggers or Wembley…it’s not anymore…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.