Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 359 Guests

Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

This thread currently has 3,702 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2021, 8:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I get it for line calls but it should be quicker.

As for subjective issues like the difference between a yellow and red card tackle, surely it should be down to the onfield referee and the context of the game?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
wuffing
November 4, 2021, 8:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
Ah well, we'll just have to kick around the lower leagues having fun.......

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Theimperialcoroner
November 4, 2021, 9:45am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
As long it’s used for the most marginal of decisions, it’s male masturbation.
The buzzer system for goal lines is fine as it’s very discrete and quick.
If you have to wait a minute to see if Harry Kane’s left bollock was in an offside position, then it’s just pantomime stuff.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
Mikey_345
November 4, 2021, 10:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,268
Gold Stars: 95
My only bugbear with it now is the offside at goals, minutes after everyone has celebrated the goal can then be ruled out, which is infuriating. Granted they have improved the margin of error problem - not had many toe nail incidents this season.

However i think the tech that Hawk-eye are looking to introduce, at the World Cup, would solve that issue. Real time (think they said it'd be 2 seconds behind play) monitoring of offsides sent straight to the linesman meaning it'll take a tiny fraction of the time.

Would also like the fans to be able to hear the discussions, similar to rugby/cricket, as i think that'd clear a lot of confusion which leads to anger over decisions.

We can all dislike it, but it's here and here to stay and there's nothing we can do about that I'm afraid. So as long as they continue to improve, no issue from me. English football has been miles behind how it has been used in Europe and elsewhere where it has run a lot smoother - key example of that is the World Cup and Euros which were pretty good.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
November 4, 2021, 10:27am
Guest User
Go back to original offsides, easy for lino to see, use VAR  for penalty claims . For corners shirt pulling player wrestling  doesn't need VAR to sort Ref sees it and let's it go every week.
Reply: 24 - 47
diehardmariner
November 4, 2021, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
No we can't all agree.

It's a excrement idea that's changing the whole context of the beautiful game.

Injustice is a huge part of football.  The was it/wasn't it issue with Geoff Hurst's goal against West Germany in 1966 kept the conversation going for decades about would we really have won without.  In modern terms, the injustice for Frank Lampard's goal against Germany in 2010 allowed people to have deluded belief that we would have turned it round in the second half had the goal counted.

Had Willy Puddy walked at Wembley in 2015 we might not have had Operation Promotion and with it the potential to sell-on Omar Bogle for a huge profit 18 months later (and subsequently waste it).  

It shapes conversations after the game and then for weeks and weeks after.   Football is a game played by humans, who are fallible.  Why remove that from the game? Be it a slight mistake or a huge one, it's part of the game.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
RichMariner
November 4, 2021, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
If VAR had been at BP last Saturday and somehow 'discovered' an infringement that meant County's winner had to be chalked off, don't get me wrong, I'd have cheered and felt a great sense of delight.

But I still don't want it at Town games.

And we have particularly crap refs at this level. Even their ineptitude isn't enough to change my mind on this.

Goal-line technology is great. That's a black and white thing. It's either in or it's not, and there are no arguments.

That's as far as I'd take technology in football. I can live with all the other indiscretions.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
louth_in_the_south
November 4, 2021, 12:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
It’s just a mirror into society that exists now of the it’s not fair brigade if something goes against you .
Referee mistakes are/were an integral part of the game that created the joy or pain if you ask me . With that taken away it’s just not the same .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
TinklerMan
November 4, 2021, 12:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

After it's initial teething problems can we all agree it was a good idea, I don't see many complaining about it now.

I was all for it from day one but many were against.

Quite possibly the best thing to ever happen to football, since the abolishment of goalkeepers being able to pick the ball up, or handle it, from a direct pass from their own player. In other words, what most people call the back pass law, which is a stupid thing to call it, because it doesn't only apply to back passes.

VAR is superb, and it is an improvement this season on the previous one.

I still think the offside law can at times make even VAR decisions difficult. I prefer the old law, where there has to be clear daylight between attacker and defender. All of this measuring toe nails is a bit stupid, but that's not VAR's fault, that it the offside law.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
sonofmadeleymariner
November 4, 2021, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Good idea, still don't think its being used as well as it could

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.