Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 286 Guests

Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

This thread currently has 3,762 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
November 4, 2021, 4:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m not sure what it really adds to the game and it’s literally just proven the sheer disparity in the game.

Whilst I understand that the money sits at the very top of the game, hence why it is only afforded by the very top clubs but it once again indicates that the feeling is, only that level matters.

It was introduced to ensure ‘wrong decisions’ were minimised or eradicated…I’m not sure this is entirely the case and as a purist, I don’t see how that sanitisation adds to the game, even if it means a glaring mistakes hinders or indeed helps your team…

Personally, I think it was introduced becauee of the vast sums of cash and as we know, the rich like to stay rich…it always seemed to be pundits or some of the select few of ex players clamouring for it rather than managers and current players.

They were discussing the company who did goal line technology and their ability to detect offside without the need for human interaction…but it was less accurate than the current system…the two ex players on the wireless were dead against it, as Trevor Sinclair pointed out, why introduce a new system that’s actually not as good as the current one, simply because ‘it’s quicker’…as he said, quicker May be, but possibly not right…

I don’t like it, I’m all for moving the game forward but to be honest, introducing VAR simply took attention away from the real issues in the game, it’s here to stay and for the most part, the select few that have it will probably claim it works, as a fan, I don’t see the point nor do I like. I’ve been in stadiums where it’s been used both in this country and abroad, it didn’t enhance my experience or improve the games…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
HistonMariner
November 4, 2021, 4:15am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 13
The discussion used to be about it being “a yard offside” now it’s about a millimetre offside.  Same discussion different dimensions.
It’s hard to argue about the logic but anything that detracts from the emotion and spontaneity in the game has to be considered very, very carefully.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
DB
November 4, 2021, 4:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
I think it's good for goal line decisions. However, the offside decisions because a players finger, toe, or knee makes him offside seem ridiculous.

It takes away the goal and celebration, jubilation for the fans, because a little fingernail was poking out 20 yards down the pitch 10 seconds earlier.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Mendonca1995
November 4, 2021, 6:15am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Not interested as it only benefits the greedy premiership teams

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
Doctor Sanchez
November 4, 2021, 6:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Stll not a fan.  It shouldn't be used for offsides.  How can a player judge if they're onside when making a run when it's going to be judged by technology not available to the player.  Either that or the offside rule needs to change.  As for other decisions (fouls etc), most of them are still down to the official's own interpretation and different officials will still give different decisions.  So no, I will not agree VAR is a good idea.  

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
psgmariner
November 4, 2021, 7:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
It’s excrement.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
Abdul19
November 4, 2021, 8:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
It's seems better this season, probably because it's used less. I think it will be a good idea when it's used 0 times a season.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Ruston AT
November 4, 2021, 8:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

After it's initial teething problems can we all agree it was a good idea, I don't see many complaining about it now.

I was all for it from day one but many were against.

Can you imagine if VAR was operational what the mental anguish it would cause to the Very Poor referees (and thats 99% of them) that are in the system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
Hagrid
November 4, 2021, 8:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,380
Gold Stars: 532
Nah cant stand it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Rick12
November 4, 2021, 8:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

Look at it in a Town context. Had it been present in those games, Scott Neilson doesn’t get sent off at Gateshead and Will Puddy does get sent off for Bristol Rovers at Wembley. Our history, and our present,  could have been very different

It’s had its flaws, but it’s improving and it’s probably right to stick with it so long as we’re sensible.
Not just history that could of been different for Grimsby either if VAR and goal line technology had been around. I know Spain fans that were gutted that they didn't get through to the semi finals of the world cup in 2002 when Morientes goal should of stood. Dreams of many dashed by human error.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.