Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 152 Guests

Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

This thread currently has 3,763 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
November 3, 2021, 10:52pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
After it's initial teething problems can we all agree it was a good idea, I don't see many complaining about it now.

I was all for it from day one but many were against.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rick12
November 3, 2021, 11:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Same camp as you promotion plaice. Always thought VAR was a good idea.

Some of the heartache football fans have witnessed over the years particularly in the world cup the greatest tournament on earth due to poor decisions should be minimised now.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
blundellpork
November 3, 2021, 11:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Nope, still hate it. Goal line yes, but VAR no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
TownSNAFU5
November 3, 2021, 11:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Like anything new introduced, there is going to be teething problems, some fear and resentment.  People generally do not like change.  After improvements to the system,  VAR was always likely to benefit the game.  Even if some spontaneity was lost.

Teething problems are always a big deal.  Certainly with babies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
RichMariner
November 3, 2021, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I can see what it's trying to add to the game but, call me old fashioned, I still can't get over the fact that you can score a last-minute winner, celebrate like mad, and then have that moment taken away from you - even if it's the correct decision.

So even a correct decision feels like it's somehow taking joy away from the game.

I can't criticise any governing body that tries to achieve 100% correct decisions. However, VAR will never be infallible due to the fact that it's operated by humans who, you know, make mistakes. Even when using technology.

When it comes down to it, I ask myself: as someone who loves going to matches in person, would I want VAR at Town games? While I appreciate everything that it offers, the answer is still 'no'.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
Sandford1981
November 3, 2021, 11:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Never wanted it. Still don’t. It’s not going anywhere so I’ll just have to lump it!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
Poojah
November 3, 2021, 11:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from RichMariner
I can see what it's trying to add to the game but, call me old fashioned, I still can't get over the fact that you can score a last-minute winner, celebrate like mad, and then have that moment taken away from you - even if it's the correct decision.

So even a correct decision feels like it's somehow taking joy away from the game.

I can't criticise any governing body that tries to achieve 100% correct decisions. However, VAR will never be infallible due to the fact that it's operated by humans who, you know, make mistakes. Even when using technology.

When it comes down to it, I ask myself: as someone who loves going to matches in person, would I want VAR at Town games? While I appreciate everything that it offers, the answer is still 'no'.

As a concept I’m fine with it provided it’s used sparingly for genuine clear and obvious errors. If used correctly, it shouldn’t affect the spontaneity of celebrations, which was clearly an issue in its early execution in the Premier League.

Look at it in a Town context. Had it been present in those games, Scott Neilson doesn’t get sent off at Gateshead and Will Puddy does get sent off for Bristol Rovers at Wembley. Our history, and our present,  could have been very different.

I’m sure we’ve benefited from bad refereeing decisions, though they’re less memorable the other way round, but I can’t think of any of the magnitude of those two in the play-offs.

It’s had its flaws, but it’s improving and it’s probably right to stick with it so long as we’re sensible.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
moosey_club
November 3, 2021, 11:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Whilst it's overseen by humans there will always remain inconsistencies and some benefit, some not.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
MarinerDevil
November 4, 2021, 1:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
I'm sure one day VAR will have some sort of AI element that can immediately determine offsides and other binary decisions, which will address most of the concerns about spontaneity.  Some may not like the idea of the game being partially refereed by a robot, but it's coming.  I was unsure about VAR at first but I like the fact that I now rarely finish watching a Premier League game feeling like the wrong team won due a refereeing howler.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
LH
November 4, 2021, 3:49am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
World Cup 2022 is the rumour for AIVAR.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we all agree now VAR was a good idea?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.