4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
joe56
November 1, 2021, 10:18am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Sorry if these have already been embedded in another thread.

https://youtu.be/s7WzIDq9Tu8

Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
November 1, 2021, 10:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Pretty much as I remember it. We were much the better side but...

Another day, we turn one of those situations into a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
quebec38
November 1, 2021, 10:57am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
First time seeing the goal back. I didn’t have it down as a goalkeeping error at the time and I still don’t so what was all of the silliness on Saturday night knocking Macca??
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Chrisblor
November 1, 2021, 12:21pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from quebec38
First time seeing the goal back. I didn’t have it down as a goalkeeping error at the time and I still don’t so what was all of the silliness on Saturday night knocking Macca??

Goalkeepers are constantly coached NOT to parry the ball into dangerous positions. Somehow our esteemed keeper has managed to parry a not particularly threatening cross, which he's well positioned to cut out, directly to the Notts attacker stood on the edge of our six yard box for a tap in:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3XbvlyF.png[/img]

Sometimes keepers can get away with it when the ball fortunately falls to a defender who can clear, but make no mistake, this goal absolutely resulted from a goalkeeping error and I can assure you it'll be viewed as much by his coaches.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
Northbank Mariner
November 1, 2021, 12:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Chrisblor

Goalkeepers are constantly coached NOT to parry the ball into dangerous positions. Somehow our esteemed keeper has managed to parry a not particularly threatening cross, which he's well positioned to cut out, directly to the Notts attacker stood on the edge of our six yard box for a tap in:

Sometimes keepers can get away with it when the ball fortunately falls to a defender who can clear, but make no mistake, this goal absolutely resulted from a goalkeeping error and I can assure you it'll be viewed as much by his coaches.

For as much as I agree with you ( I was a goal keeper and it was a cardinal sin to parry back into the danger zone) you also have to question the defence, to leave their main goal threat unattended on the middle of the box should never have happened. However we look at it, it's happened with multiple failings.
On the day we did play better football than Notts but they actually defended their box better than us, narrow margins is what cost us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
RichMariner
November 1, 2021, 12:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
McKeown has never been without fault but I watched the BT Sport highlights programme a couple of weeks back and, my god, there were some awful goalkeeping howlers elsewhere in the division.

I know we should always strive for better, but seeing those incidents should make us realise that, all things being equal, we have a very good keeper for this level.

He may cost us the odd point here and there, but he'll also save us a few along the way too.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
zorro_is_a_Mariner
November 1, 2021, 12:56pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Watching these just shows again we were the dominant team by far just missed the goal from our good play.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
TownSNAFU5
November 1, 2021, 1:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
It is difficult to get players who are playing part-time.  Usually in lower leagues.  It has been reported over time that many have well-paid jobs, topped up by football earnings.  They would lose their job and probably take an overall pay cut if they joined us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2021, 1:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
In the Pontoon I could not see the goal all that well - probably as I had my hands over my eyes fearing they would get a smash and grab, but looking at that it looks like a shocking mistake from the keeper. He could have put that anywhere, even out for a corner but to parry it out right into the danger area is hard to fathom.

He had virtually nothing to do all game and seemed to be caught cold.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
Abdul19
November 1, 2021, 1:19pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Looks like he could've just caught it to me!

(Admittedly I have no knowledge of playing in goal, or of football in general really)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
Maringer
November 1, 2021, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Some good play as shown, but the final pass or shot wasn't up to it on Saturday. As Hurst mentioned in his post-match interview, that one which Sousa played behind Clifton (and Taylor then skied the follow-up) was one where the cross should have been better. Good football in general is all well and good, but you've got to get the final touch right.

It's a real shame that Sousa seems to panic when given a sight of the goal himself. On Saturday, I was pretty much expecting him to make a hash of his shot when he ran through and I hope he is spending a lot of time practising his shooting!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
joe56
November 1, 2021, 1:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Can anyone identify the commentator? John Ward? I always think he does a good job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
Maringer
November 1, 2021, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Regarding the goal, at the time I thought it was a shot, but it probably was intended as a cross. What caught McKeown out is the fact that it was hit much harder than he was expecting, hence the parry. Should have done better, but then so should the defence both in stopping the crossing opportunity and then getting into the right position to clear it after the parry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
TinklerMan
November 1, 2021, 1:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Chrisblor

You must have been an excellent goalkeeper.

First of all I would say that this is not a parry. This is a block of a powerful cross by Macca, with the hands, where he has recognised the danger of the wide attacker which Crookes wasn't able to get back to stop. Coke was also fairly pedestrian in trying to get to the wide attacker in covering for Crookes and doesn't get himself between the attacker and his target. So Macca has done well to get a block on this, but he is blameless and has little or no control on where that block is going to go to from such a powerful close range strike.

Thereafter your goalkeeper is reliant upon his teammates for emergency defending and recovery of the rebound. If you watch Hunt, he is very slow to get back and doesn't recover quickly to stop the Notts County goal scorer advancing on the goal to pick up the rebound.

This is the bit that bothers me about the criticism of goalkeepers. If Hunt gets back and snuffs that advancing attacker out, then you are all praising Macca for a great block save and Hunt for a great recovery run.

Nothing to be criticising the goalkeeper there for

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
RichMariner
November 1, 2021, 1:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from joe56
Can anyone identify the commentator? John Ward? I always think he does a good job.

I think it's Graham Shearsmith. He stands in for John Moore sometimes.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
RichMariner
November 1, 2021, 1:34pm
Brandy Drinker
On watching the highlights again it makes me realise we were probably 60/40 on top throughout, but at the time it always felt like County had a goal in them.

County looked fit and organised, like us. I thought we edged it skill-wise, but weren't able to execute in the final third whereas they took one of only two chances.

A team like County would've walked away 3-0 winners at BP last season playing like that.

I thought we looked fit, organised and professional, and those were three things you couldn't say about us often last season. They'll be enough to win a few games this season but to stay in the title race we'll continue to need that quality that McAtee, Taylor, Sousa, Bapaga and Hunt  all bring.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
joe56
November 1, 2021, 1:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

I think it's Graham Shearsmith. He stands in for John Moore sometimes.

Thanks. He does actually commentate. John is quite rightly held in high affection by Town fans. By my reckoning he’s been doing it for around 30 years. I do feel, however, that he’s been a bit repetitive at times this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
buckstown
November 1, 2021, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
Not sure if it's an optical illusion in the sunshine but there appear to be a lot of empty seats in the main stand?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
November 1, 2021, 1:59pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 16
I think the commentary team are great. They've been doing it for years and are very professional, passionate and accurate. I love to hear their voices and worry it just won't be the same when one, or both decide they've had enough as well.

I know a few don't particularly like Tondeur but they've all familiar voices to me that take me right back to when I first started following Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
ska face
November 1, 2021, 2:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,347
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

For as much as I agree with you ( I was a goal keeper and it was a cardinal sin to parry back into the danger zone) you also have to question the defence, to leave their main goal threat unattended on the middle of the box should never have happened. However we look at it, it's happened with multiple failings.
On the day we did play better football than Notts but they actually defended their box better than us, narrow margins is what cost us.

Defensive set up looks fine, unless you want Towler the wrong side of Waterfall & 5 yards ahead of everyone else, or Waterfall stepping out to mark the scorer and leaving his man on the 6-yard line?

It’s the same argument every time for McKeown. I can remember having this argument when he let a ball float over his head against Barnet with Widdowson nudging it in practically on the goal line. People were blaming Efete and (I think) Waterfall for that one too!

I said in the week to someone that you could put McKeown’s failings down for almost every goal we’ve conceded this season. He’s too slow across his line, constantly beaten from outside the box, won’t catch a cross and punches the ball back into dangerous areas. People slate his distribution but I don’t think it’s that bad at all, at this level anyway.

We will not finish first with him in goal, there’s a reason Hurst put a relatively untested youngster in goal as soon as he had the chance last season. He’s only getting bench time at Portsmouth, I wouldn’t mind seeing us go back in for Eastwood if Crocombe can’t dislodge McKeown.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
chipsandgravy
November 1, 2021, 2:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from RichMariner
On watching the highlights again it makes me realise we were probably 60/40 on top throughout, but at the time it always felt like County had a goal in them.

County looked fit and organised, like us. I thought we edged it skill-wise, but weren't able to execute in the final third whereas they took one of only two chances.

A team like County would've walked away 3-0 winners at BP last season playing like that.

I thought we looked fit, organised and professional, and those were three things you couldn't say about us often last season. They'll be enough to win a few games this season but to stay in the title race we'll continue to need that quality that McAtee, Taylor, Sousa, Bapaga and Hunt  all bring.

Agree with most of what you said but didn't think County did have a goal in them at all. Shows you what I know. However I was reasonably pleased with our display and I really like watching them at the moment  which is a far cry from.most of last season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 1, 2021, 2:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from buckstown
Not sure if it's an optical illusion in the sunshine but there appear to be a lot of empty seats in the main stand?

Yes I've noticed the 2 large areas behind the dugouts that they never sell. I think there are about 120+ seats there. Even selling them with restricted views would still amount to a good wodge of spondoolicks each game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
ginnywings
November 1, 2021, 2:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

Yes I've noticed the 2 large areas behind the dugouts that they never sell. I think there are about 120+ seats there. Even selling them with restricted views would still amount to a good wodge of spondoolicks each game

It's the covid zone for players and officials from both teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Kris2
November 1, 2021, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
It's one of those where live it looked like the ball was kicked harder at him that he had a hard time parrying than it was and on the highlights it seems like he could have just caught a ball kicked straight at him. Ah well nothing anyone can do about it now. The ball could have gone anywhere it just happens it landed at the feet of one of their players.

For the record I don't think Macca was at fault for the Barnet goal even after reviewing the highlights at the defence went to sleep on that. Even the commentary remarked that there was no marking of a player who just strolled to the goal line. This is really the first time I've looked at something again this season and felt like Macca should have done better with it but he seems to get the blame for basically every goal as most keepers do. The armchair coaches seem to enjoy targeting him the most, not sure if it's the fact some were an apprentice in the 60's or 70's that never made it that does it, maybe the jealousy of the goalkeeper who never made it but thinks they could do better I dunno.  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
LondonMariner43
November 1, 2021, 2:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
After seeing this, I am mystified why LJL seems to take the blame for this defeat.  He had the best chance when he hit the bar with a great piece of individual play.  Sousa had the best chance to score and the other chances were just a case of the ball not falling for us.  Yes LJL skewed a shot wide but so did Taylor and some others.  Their goal was a clear error from Macca - that doesn't make him a bad keeper - but it was his mistake.  Anyway, looks like we could have won comfortably on another day.  No need to start pointless 'bubble burst' threads.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
DB
November 1, 2021, 3:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,878
Gold Stars: 383
Looking at the vid, it appears that while Macca pushes the ball away into the centre of the box Hunt failed to mark the goalscorer and let him get to the ball first. One lapse by both of them cost us the game, the margin in this match was that fine.

Another day with a full first team we would have won. Victories at Kiddy, Aldershot and home against Southend will put us back on track.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
ex-merseymariner
November 1, 2021, 3:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ska face
We will not finish first with him in goal, there’s a reason Hurst put a relatively untested youngster in goal as soon as he had the chance last season. He’s only getting bench time at Portsmouth, I wouldn’t mind seeing us go back in for Eastwood if Crocombe can’t dislodge McKeown.

Hmm, i  thought Eastwood went on a emergency 7 day loan to Portsmouth earlier in the season; has he gone back there since?
Assumed he'd been back bench sitting/reserves at Sheffield United?

Either way, maybe we get to see Crocombe again on Saturday?  Hopefully this time he doesn't wear a similar kit to the opposition though......

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
quebec38
November 1, 2021, 4:13pm
Snakebite drinker
The “cross” from their wide player was awkward imo. It was smashed near post at the keeper so I don’t really know what else he could have done other than divert it away from the goal. If a defender had got under the ball and headed it away then you’d have to say Macca had done well. It also wasn’t a tap in either for Rodrigues ha ha.

Chris Blor - Towns no 1!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
lukeo
November 1, 2021, 5:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Mckeown mistake. More noticable as hes the last line of defence. If he didn't make mistakes he'd play in the Premiership. I'm sure he'll review it, recognise the mistake and try to amend it next time.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
arryarryarry
November 1, 2021, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113

Not sure about the rules in the National League but in the EFL Covid rules there had to be a red area where only certain personnel could go such as players and coaching staff. Even some club staff are not allowed in there.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
joe56
November 1, 2021, 5:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43
After seeing this, I am mystified why LJL seems to take the blame for this defeat.  He had the best chance when he hit the bar with a great piece of individual play.  Sousa had the best chance to score and the other chances were just a case of the ball not falling for us.  Yes LJL skewed a shot wide but so did Taylor and some others.  Their goal was a clear error from Macca - that doesn't make him a bad keeper - but it was his mistake.  Anyway, looks like we could have won comfortably on another day.  No need to start pointless 'bubble burst' threads.

Maybe we need to see the other 84 minutes to reach a valid conclusion. That’s the trouble with highlights.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
quebec38
November 1, 2021, 5:45pm
Snakebite drinker
I feel bad for LJL because I don’t think people consider his game when they knock him for things he doesn’t get right. On Saturday though I don’t think he even nailed his own game. His link-up overall was sloppy. He doesn’t deserve abuse though - none of the players do.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.