toontown
November 1, 2021, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Agree, and for the balance reason i'd like us to try Efete on the right, Crookes on the left and Revan at left mid on Saturday, assuming Bapaga plays up front with LJL or Taylor.

And drop Harry? No I don't think so, his work rate is even more important without mcatee. I want to see bapaga in the mcatee role but with the reduction in work rate that would lead to it makes Harry's inclusion even more important.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
golfer
November 1, 2021, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,372
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from toontown

And drop Harry? No I don't think so, his work rate is even more important without mcatee. I want to see bapaga in the mcatee role but with the reduction in work rate that would lead to it makes Harry's inclusion even more important.

Drop Coke for Harry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
ex-merseymariner
November 1, 2021, 7:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from toontown

Maybe, for a cup game, worth taking a look at others and get them fitter.  Particularly interested in seeing revan play more that's all

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Maringer
November 1, 2021, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I seem to remember Revan being trailed as two-footed which would certainly seem to be the case from his goals the other week. I thought he did OK when he came on which is probably about the best you can hope for from a young player with less than a handful of first team games under his belt.

Clifton has done a Sterling job on the left but, with the best will in the world, he's not going to be as effective as a proper attacker, especially on his weaker foot. Would Revan be worth a try there with Clifton moving into the middle? Dunno, really. It depends on how much Revan is seen as a defender and how much as a midfielder. It's good being able to play both roles, but you don't get many players who are effective in those two positions. The balance between being too defensive and too attacking in either role is a very narrow one.

Crookes is actually quite reasonable when going forward as he's pretty tidy with the ball at his feet, but he's obviously not the quickest so is never going to be gung up and piling forward all the time. Not too many Danny Andrews out there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
lukeo
November 6, 2021, 5:17am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I love an attacking full back and although the full backs lately have done their defensive jobs well we've definitely missed Efetes attacking threat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
SouthLakesMariner
November 6, 2021, 8:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +921
Gold Stars: 21
Agree with this. As well as Sears has done, I can’t see him cutting in and scoring a goal like the one Efete scored earlier in the season ( v Torquay ?). Horses for courses, I think PH will use them both equally over the course of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
HertsGTFC
November 6, 2021, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from lukeo
I love an attacking full back and although the full backs lately have done their defensive jobs well we've definitely missed Efetes attacking threat

I think we’ve also missed Efete’s link up with Sousa down the right.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
TownSNAFU5
November 6, 2021, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Isn’t it good to have a sensible debate about the respective qualities of our fullbacks and what they bring to the team in their different ways?

No one would have thought this last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
rancido
November 6, 2021, 1:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
Agree with this. As well as Sears has done, I can’t see him cutting in and scoring a goal like the one Efete scored earlier in the season ( v Torquay ?). Horses for courses, I think PH will use them both equally over the course of the season.

It's good that we have full - backs that can effectively support the attack but I am a bit more in the camp of wanting them to be principally defenders. The centre backs know that they are supported on either side and not concerned that if one of the full-backs "bombs forward" then who will cover for them from mid-field? Just an individual preference from me, I know.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Maringer
November 6, 2021, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I don't disagree with you regarding full-backs when you're playing the better teams but if you're facing a 'Park the bus' team, having defenders who can get forward is also helpful.

Efete can get forward (though doesn't nearly enough as Hurst has alluded to in the past) and is also strong in the air so probably the better option to use against the really defensive teams.

It certainly is nice to have a couple of competent players to choose from, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sears & squad members

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.