October 31, 2021, 4:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,651
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from mimma
Is he back up or first team player?

He's better at defending but not as good at going forwards at pace.

Is their pace that is the deciding factor or their defending?

With Crookes being a more defensive fullback, I would prefer to see Efete on the other side, who gives us more going forwards. Sears has done nothing wrong, but think Efete gives us more impetus and puts us on the front foot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 4:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from blundellpork

With Crookes being a more defensive fullback, I would prefer to see Efete on the other side, who gives us more going forwards. Sears has done nothing wrong, but think Efete gives us more impetus and puts us on the front foot.

I really like all 3 of them to be honest, Crookes just gets on with it and does the basics well, Sears is a good defender and a unit and Efete has lots to offer going forward and can bring Sousa into the game really well. As you would expect Hurst definitely has an eye for a full back.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 7:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think it's horses for courses. Sears is a typical old fashioned full back who will defend first and attack second. Efete is more of a modern full back who will attack at any given opportunity, but that can leave you a bit more vulnerable.

Suppose it depends on who you are playing as to their effectiveness. If you are playing someone less able to capitalise on spaces, Efete is your man, but I have been quietly impressed by Sears. Doesn't look the type to run 50 yards with the ball and score a goal like Efete did though.

Crookes is Mr Steady. 7/10 every game

Have we got a back up left back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Maringer
October 31, 2021, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Revan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
MuddyWaters
October 31, 2021, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer
Revan.

Well he certainly isn’t a backup right back.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 7:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
Revan.

Of course.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 31, 2021, 9:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,649
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well he certainly isn’t a backup right back.

I fully expected Harry to be moved there with Bopaga being brought on rather than have a predominately left footed player at right back. Revan was though involved in the exchange just before half-time which resulted in a over head kick and a mad scramble at the far post. County saw the substitution as a chance to exploit that side of the field and the first ten minutes of the second half proved more than a bit challenging on that side of the defence and Waterfall again showed he’s quality at this level. In truth after that period I thought Revan adapted and coped ok with the threat and ultimately the goal came as space on the other side of the field.

He was unable to get forwards much in the second half and whilst he would not be my first or second choice for right back I thought given his age and experience he did an ok job.

Frustrating day but hopefully the next close match will see us getting that late winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
mimma
October 31, 2021, 9:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Their sub that came on at half time had some pace. Revan had to hold back a little and not give him a run down the wing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
diehardmariner
November 1, 2021, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,413
Gold Stars: 532
I thought Revan did really well against their sub, especially on his unnatural side.

I'm in agreement regards playing both Crookes and Sears though, both very steady and dependable but it limits our attacking outlet.  You probably want one steady-eddie type in the fullback roles but not both.  The beauty with Efete is that when he bombs forward, the rest of the back four shift along to become a back three and it creates less gaps to be exploited.

No doubt that Sears is a better defender than Efete, but the balance of the team feels better when it was Efete and Crookes.  I dare say if there's games when Revan plays instead of Crookes, we would be more balanced if Sears is on the other side.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
ex-merseymariner
November 1, 2021, 3:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought Revan did really well against their sub, especially on his unnatural side.

I'm in agreement regards playing both Crookes and Sears though, both very steady and dependable but it limits our attacking outlet.  You probably want one steady-eddie type in the fullback roles but not both.  The beauty with Efete is that when he bombs forward, the rest of the back four shift along to become a back three and it creates less gaps to be exploited.

No doubt that Sears is a better defender than Efete, but the balance of the team feels better when it was Efete and Crookes.  I dare say if there's games when Revan plays instead of Crookes, we would be more balanced if Sears is on the other side.

Agree, and for the balance reason i'd like us to try Efete on the right, Crookes on the left and Revan at left mid on Saturday, assuming Bapaga plays up front with LJL or Taylor.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sears & squad members

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.