Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
October 30, 2021, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Very measured and spot on. Sometimes there are games like this but some of our build up play was sublime and we really have got a decent team.

Just need to regroup and make a forward signing and get back on track.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Vance Warner
October 30, 2021, 7:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Always feel better after listening to Paul Hurst. It’s the perfect antidote to some of the nonsense from attention seeking idiots on social media. Easy to forget that he’s put a new squad together and is still learning about them all the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Roast Em Bobby
October 30, 2021, 9:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I also thought his assessment was pretty spot on. Some of the drivel on the "just back" thread is laughable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
fishcake63
October 30, 2021, 9:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Fair comments & i have to say i enjoy going to blundell park again , some of our build up play today was excellant just a pity we didn't work their keeper enough , but we're not far off if notts fancy themselves because & it not sour grapes they was bang average all over the park
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 30, 2021, 10:03pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from fishcake63
Fair comments & i have to say i enjoy going to blundell park again , some of our build up play today was excellant just a pity we didn't work their keeper enough , but we're not far off if notts fancy themselves because & it not sour grapes they was bang average all over the park

I agree with that we have our strongest 11 we win that comfortable today imo, still played the better but we lost. Roll on next week get a good win in the Cup then the 2 Southern teams were we could do with at least 4 points

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2021, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I thought he was really disappointed with this week but I think overall he set the team up right today and had as you’d expect thought a lot about the game.

He knows when we have the better players available that we’re a force in this league.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
arryarryarry
October 30, 2021, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I thought he was really disappointed with this week but I think overall he set the team up right today and had as you’d expect thought a lot about the game.

He knows when we have the better players available that we’re a force in this league.

Set the team up right?

Not sure how you can say that when in nearly 100 minutes we couldn't make their keeper have to save anything.

I wasn't impressed with County especially first half but their manager knew that and made two changes at half time. I thought Hurst waited far too long to make the change and I know I'm not a huge LJL fan but I was surprised he took him off and continued with a lone striker.  

One of our most dangerous players in recent games was left on the bench far too long, bringing on Bapaga with a couple of minutes to go was pointless.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
moosey_club
October 31, 2021, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from arryarryarry

Set the team up right?

Not sure how you can say that when in nearly 100 minutes we couldn't make their keeper have to save anything.

I wasn't impressed with County especially first half but their manager knew that and made two changes at half time. I thought Hurst waited far too long to make the change and I know I'm not a huge LJL fan but I was surprised he took him off and continued with a lone striker.  

One of our most dangerous players in recent games was left on the bench far too long, bringing on Bapaga with a couple of minutes to go was pointless.

Agree with this, one of those games that we used to see in his previous spell, dominating, comfortable at the back but not really creating any glorious chances....but whilst it is like that he seems reluctant to change it up to go win the game.  A like for like sub doesn't really switch anything up too much or give the opposition a great deal to think about.
The bench didn't have a lot of options really to offer a great deal of change but that has needed attention for a while now.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 9:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from arryarryarry

Set the team up right?

I didn't put across what I meant very well when I said "set the team up right" it was in refence to stopping them having the ball for long periods of time which I understand is their style.

Agree about Bapaga I mentioned on the Just Back thread that he should have featured earlier if not from the start he runs the channels and that would have added something that was missing rather than hitting it to a forward who's back is always to goal.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
arryarryarry
October 31, 2021, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I didn't put across what I meant very well when I said "set the team up right" it was in refence to stopping them having the ball for long periods of time which I understand is their style.

Agree about Bapaga I mentioned on the Just Back thread that he should have featured earlier if not from the start he runs the channels and that would have added something that was missing rather than hitting it to a forward who's back is always to goal.

I understand that, and I don't know if it was down to that or the fact that Notts County weren't that good but the way we set up nullified our threat as well. Sadly something that Hurst has done many times, worry too much about the opposition, a trait that considering some of our games this season I thought  he had got away from.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Limerick Mariner
October 31, 2021, 2:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from arryarryarry

I understand that, and I don't know if it was down to that or the fact that Notts County weren't that good but the way we set up nullified our threat as well. Sadly something that Hurst has done many times, worry too much about the opposition, a trait that considering some of our games this season I thought  he had got away from.

That could also be described as doing your research and analysing their strengths and weaknesses. Of course, we've had some experiences of managers totally ignoring the opposition, fielding a load of inadequate players who didn't know their job or their positions on the pitch and that didn't work either...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
arryarryarry
October 31, 2021, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

That could also be described as doing your research and analysing their strengths and weaknesses. Of course, we've had some experiences of managers totally ignoring the opposition, fielding a load of inadequate players who didn't know their job or their positions on the pitch and that didn't work either...

Whatever he did it failed, why is that so hard for some to understand?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 6:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
We are talking division 5 here. Notts were as decent a side as you will get at this level and better than many we saw last season in League 2.

I thought we got the tactics right but were obviously short up top. Both our top scorers missing and a striker who has has had no pre season and little game time to date.

They got lucky with a classic smash and grab. Our performance was good, the result not so. It happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Post Match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.