Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 6,609 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
October 26, 2021, 11:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Got what we deserved but what an arrogant, incompetent w@nker referee.

A bad day at the office all-round. Yet to be convinced by Bapaga to be honest. Think he highlighted what we missed due to Clifton’s absence.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
arryarryarry
October 26, 2021, 11:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Agree with the comments so far, a poor performance tonight. Never been that impressed by Coke especially last season too pedestrian for me and just didn't work with playing alongside Fox.

Hurst waited far too long to bring Hunt on and playing LJL as a lone striker never works.

Tonight summed it up for me, we need another striker in and possibly another midfielder as well.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Bigdog
October 27, 2021, 12:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Agree with most comments on here.

As solid as Crookes and Sears have been, these are the sort of games where we need the attacking abilities of Revan and Efete from full back to stretch a bank of five out wide. Towler and Fox were the only players that played anywhere near their best although the back four were generally solid against a powder puff attack. We looked a mess going forward, no cohesion or intelligent movement to stretch them and a lack of bodies getting into the box. Fox probed but there wasn't any forward passing with purpose until Hunt came on.

I agree with arryarryarry, definitely a forward needed, a back up for McAtee and another option in centre midfield. We lose three or four first choice players and we can look very average.

Don't care what anyone else says, we won't be winning promotion starting either Coke or LJL. Able late in the game substitutes maybe, but starters? Nah..

Wealdstone were ok. Best they've played all season apparently. An official of theirs told me they run on a playing budget of 8.5k per week but benefit from signing players who don't want to play full time because they have well paid jobs already. That sole advantage of being part time showed as I thought they had an excellent right back, two really good central defenders and a couple of decent midfielders too. That policy seems to work for them, although their left back was terrible and I couldn't believe we didn't have the nous to exploit that weakness. Didn't think much to them going forward either, but very very solid everywhere else, a bit like Maidenhead were. We have to work out ways to beat these sides.

Worst away facilities I've seen at this level, but hats off to the 800 or so that travelled, seemed a few more than that tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
exiledmeggie
October 27, 2021, 7:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -221
Gold Stars: 18
800 on the road for a Tuesday night!
7,000 at home on a Saturday!
Unbeaten at home!
Top of the League!

And we’re still not happy!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
pontoonlew
October 27, 2021, 8:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,834
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Unbeaten at home!
Top of the League!

As a team top of the table we’re able to hold ourselves to the highest of standards and if they’re not met people can voice their opinions.

I’ve hardly seen anybody moaning about it but all 800 of those are right to be unhappy, there are still some holes in this squad and injuries are starting to exploit them.

No doubt the team will get full backing on Saturday yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
buckstown
October 27, 2021, 8:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Unbeaten at home!
Top of the League!

Not really, this was a massive missed opportunity. We can blame the ref if we like but he was an average national league official and we need to get used to it and stop using them as an excuse. We should have dismantled Wealdstone last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
Jaws
October 27, 2021, 8:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Bad day at the office but always going to lose a few games here and there even if we finish the season top. Subs too late to make a difference. Couldn't really tell if we had a plan b or not.

Worried about Saturday without Mcatee and Taylor. Hoping for something unconventional maybe Sousa upfront with Max and Bapaga out wide. If Lennie gets 90 minutes we'll struggle.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
lukeo
October 27, 2021, 8:51am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Bad day at the office, feel for the fans who travelled. But we go again Saturday UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
Poojah
October 27, 2021, 8:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,424
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from buckstown

Not really, this was a massive missed opportunity. We can blame the ref if we like but he was an average national league official and we need to get used to it and stop using them as an excuse. We should have dismantled Wealdstone last night

I said before the game that with Wealdstone having their two key midfielders out this was the kind of game genuine title contenders should be expecting to win. I stand by that, however it’s possible that we’re starting to experience a bit of what Wrexham have faced all season in that we are a big, big scalp for some of the league’s smaller clubs.

I’m not suggesting we were complacent, but it sounds as if Wealdstone themselves were up for it, had a game plan and played well to a man. They deserve credit for that but it doesn’t sound like we matched them on all of those fronts last night, and that’s something we’ll need to look at.

All in all, these were the kind of nights I feared in coming down however I never in a million years dreamed we would start as well as we have or be top of the league at this stage. Time to dust ourselves down and prepare for a different kind of challenge in front of a packed a BP on Saturday.

If there was a sense of expectation and even complacency in the stands at the Yeovil game, I imagine last night’s result may add a bit of edginess to that. We’re not just gonna rock up every game and turn teams over for fun; they’re out there to beat us as much as we are them. A reminder of that might just have come at the right time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
Fillipe Noche
October 27, 2021, 8:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Enjoyed the trip but not the result.

McAtee struggled with an injury and had to come off. His lack of fitness was evident from the start, and was impacted further once he was clattered. We need a striker in urgently for Saturday.

Sounds like PH is looking at stop gap solution up top with existing players being out of their natural position. Hope that isn’t the case and fingers crossed for some news this week.

Coke wasn’t at it, and it’s interesting to read the comments of Gritton, who felt he can’t play alongside Fox.

Missed HC massively. Missed Hunt too in my opinion.

Wealdstone seemed to have done their homework. Very compact defence and midfield that didn’t let anything in behind them. When faced with this, we just seemed to be clueless on how to open that up.

It’s one to put down to experience and learn from, because there will be other teams that realise that this is how to stop Town playing. Nothing to get too down about though.

If we are going to be champions then we will know how to put this aside and start again. Better still, If we lose back to back games on Saturday for the first time ever this season, then that will be a real test of our championship title credentials, to see how we can climb back to the top again.

The real nitty gritty of the season might just be around the corner and I’d urge any of those that are quick to moan, to stay positive and back the manager and the players like you do when things are going well. A bit of adversity and nip and tuck in a season is what makes football great
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.