This thread currently has 3,757 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
October 25, 2021, 10:03am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 16

The current team (owners, manager and players) have given me back pride in my home town club and football identity.

This is not a Fenty bashing post, although let us be clear, he IS the reason our club dwindled as did my subsequent interest, this is a PRO Current set up thread.

Over the last twenty or so years my interest in Town had diminished to the point of, at times, not even looking at their results. This was hard to do but I surmised was the best method to maintain my sanity.

Although an exile, I had previously had an ST and been to lots of games as we all have, but it had got so bad I just wanted to forget about Town, they brought me so much pain, false hope and embarrassment. When asked who I supported I either didn’t own up to following Town or kind of made an awkward joke out of it. But not now. I feel re-born! I am so PROUD of the club and so excited about everything they do. I’ve joined the 1878 and the Trust and if I still lived in NE Lincs I’d have bought a ST.

Obviously ultimately this season may not be successful and I’m (very) used to disappointment as my first regular season was the Mick Lyons era but everything feels so positive and cheery at the present time it’s impossible not to be expectant and happy - to walk into work on a Monday morning with a massive beam and cannot wait for the next game. It’s like being a teenager again during the Buckley Mark I years.

It’s been such a long time since I’ve felt this way and I’m sure lots of us feel the same. I just wanted to say a massive thanks to the club to giving me my GTFC pride back.

UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
jamesgtfc
October 25, 2021, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I've never been ashamed and always been keen to know how we've done but often got in there first that we are poor before anyone else can.

Now it feels great not to get in there first and fight back with all the positivity.

Averaging 1000 away fans each game.
Getting over 6000 at home regularly.
Goals from all over the park.
Playing with a high intensity.
Owners actioning fan feedback.

All in non-league!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
October 25, 2021, 1:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,448
Gold Stars: 15

The current team (owners, manager and players) have given me back pride in my home town club and football identity.

This is not a Fenty bashing post, although let us be clear, he IS the reason our club dwindled as did my subsequent interest, this is a PRO Current set up thread.

Over the last twenty or so years my interest in Town had diminished to the point of, at times, not even looking at their results. This was hard to do but I surmised was the best method to maintain my sanity.

Although an exile, I had previously had an ST and been to lots of games as we all have, but it had got so bad I just wanted to forget about Town, they brought me so much pain, false hope and embarrassment. When asked who I supported I either didn’t own up to following Town or kind of made an awkward joke out of it. But not now. I feel re-born! I am so PROUD of the club and so excited about everything they do. I’ve joined the 1878 and the Trust and if I still lived in NE Lincs I’d have bought a ST.

Obviously ultimately this season may not be successful and I’m (very) used to disappointment as my first regular season was the Mick Lyons era but everything feels so positive and cheery at the present time it’s impossible not to be expectant and happy - to walk into work on a Monday morning with a massive beam and cannot wait for the next game. It’s like being a teenager again during the Buckley Mark I years.

It’s been such a long time since I’ve felt this way and I’m sure lots of us feel the same. I just wanted to say a massive thanks to the club to giving me my GTFC pride back.

UTM

Glad you’re back on board but I’m sure most of us could never imagine denying we were Town fans - no matter how garbage we may have been at times. As for not looking for the results, impossible! I’ve had the GTFC bug since I first went to Blundell Park in 1975. We weren’t very good then either… but once a fan that’s it. It’s not a question of choice, that’s just the way it is. Makes the good times just that bit better when you’ve sat through so much of the bad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
grimps
October 25, 2021, 1:40pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46

Glad you’re back on board but I’m sure most of us could never imagine denying we were Town fans - no matter how garbage we may have been at times. As for not looking for the results, impossible! I’ve had the GTFC bug since I first went to Blundell Park in 1975. We weren’t very good then either… but once a fan that’s it. It’s not a question of choice, that’s just the way it is. Makes the good times just that bit better when you’ve sat through so much of the bad!

I’ve always been a loud and proud Town fan .
There was times under the Woods relegation season when I was sat in the Main stand thinking “ what the hell am I doing here , this is bringing my nothing but misery “
There was times last season when I was paying a tenner to watch online and it was even worse .

I just hope that this feel good factor we seek to have again can last
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
It Bites
October 25, 2021, 1:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +5 / -8
Approval: +1,967
Gold Stars: 238
Once I realised that Fenty was denying any hope of moving forward my interest waned . A merry go round of average players and equally average managers doesn't help . For the first time in years I know every players name , their position on the pitch and most importantly I know they are fighting for the club .
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Kris2
October 25, 2021, 2:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
After the horrors of last season and seasons before it feels good to look forward to a matchday and have some pride in the team that actually shows the fight and effort we wanted. I actually feel down about it if I have to work and can't get to a home game, before it was kinda "oh well guess I'll save my money if we lose". Spent money on every game last season out of obligation because I could still stream it while working and it was depressing. Even when we concede first now it's never a feeling of "guess that's it" because you always feel like we can get back in it and win.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2021, 6:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Maybe ‘GY is not in Yorkshire will be our St Peter’, denying Christ 3 times before the member crowed.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
acko338
October 25, 2021, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I commend all of the massive away supporters, wherever they live and travel to see Grimsby play.

Every radio commentary gives back to those at home the noisy support given by this magnificent following.

Proud that these fans spend so much time and money to show our players that they are never alone in strange away grounds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2021, 7:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Our work rate and consistency are key to our success this season.  We never give up trying to score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
DB
October 25, 2021, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,871
Gold Stars: 383
I've been thinking about this topic for a while and googled it:-

a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.
"the team was bursting with pride after recording a sensational victory
"

Well, I'm not quite knackered but getting old, but pride is in me for Town. I've seen the ups and downs since the mid fifties, and pride always carried me through. I wouldn't say my interest drained but the Fenty years certainly put me to sleep. including the west countryman.

Late December last year I saw on Cod Almighty about a group called The Fishy, so I joined. Well, I wouldn't say my views pleased everybody but the threads and posts helped me restore my pride in Town. We're going places now thanks to 1878, the team, the fans and the positiveness of most on The Fishy.

Thank you all albeit we don't agree all of the time.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
ginnywings
October 25, 2021, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from DB
I've been thinking about this topic for a while and googled it:-

a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.
"the team was bursting with pride after recording a sensational victory
"

Well, I'm not quite knackered but getting old, but pride is in me for Town. I've seen the ups and downs since the mid fifties, and pride always carried me through. I wouldn't say my interest drained but the Fenty years certainly put me to sleep. including the west countryman.

Late December last year I saw on Cod Almighty about a group called The Fishy, so I joined. Well, I wouldn't say my views pleased everybody but the threads and posts helped me restore my pride in Town. We're going places now thanks to 1878, the team, the fans and the positiveness of most on The Fishy.

Thank you all albeit we don't agree all of the time.

Bit of a turnaround though DB. I see you are now in the green after being in the red since you joined.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
DB
October 25, 2021, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,871
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from ginnywings

Bit of a turnaround though DB. I see you are now in the green after being in the red since you joined.

Sch! it took a long time. Let the good times roll.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
golfer
November 1, 2021, 8:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,377
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Maybe ‘GY is not in Yorkshire will be our St Peter’, denying Christ 3 times before the member crowed.

I don't think we ought to be bringing religion into this Kingston, the reason we are having success is that my prayers are being answered for the first time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
KingstonMariner
November 1, 2021, 11:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

I don't think we ought to be bringing religion into this Kingston, the reason we are having success is that my prayers are being answered for the first time

Then I’d better not quote Christ calling on Peter, James, Andrew and the other one to “follow me and I will make you fishers of men”, because it’ll upset the Lower Findus homophobes. 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.