1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
DB
October 24, 2021, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
Champions elect someone said, so have we got a winning mentality. 12 games in and we have won 9 and what I found interesting was that we scored 5 goals in 5 games in the last 90 mins., also we scored 5 goals in 5 games between the 70 & 75 minutes. Not forgetting 12 different scorers.

At a time when others want to see a game out we still want goals, killer goals at that. It's as if the team has been energised to play for the full game, not 90 mins. but play till the final whistle. What we are witnessing is not a revival but a new renaissance of a Town team; something akin to "Fergy Time" in the old Man Utd era.

Long may it continue until we become Champions.

Optimistic and positive, as always.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Davec
October 24, 2021, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Grimsby scoring late goals? But I thought according to people on here a Hurst team always resorts to frantic last ditch defending as they desperately try to see a game out as 1-0 is his favourite scoreline?😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
Kris2
October 24, 2021, 6:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
I think people forgot what it was like to be backing a team full of players with that mentality. Losing and the losing mentality that comes with it has been a curse for too long. I think this team is much better than the last team that got us promoted out this league and probably a good thing as I think teams in general are better than last time we were here.

We never looked settled in L2 after Hurst went to Shrews and went through a bunch of managers and their teams progressively going downhill. The difference on last season is staggering even on players who were first teamers last season, until the very end of the season no fight was installed in the team and nobody wanted the responsibility of making things happen. Watching how Dover went down against us reminded me of us so much last season. We have a team where players all want to play and they do everything they can to show what they can do. It's great seeing everyone want the ball and taking chances plus all the movement. Far cry from a player looking up and nobody is moving, nobody wants the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
HertsGTFC
October 24, 2021, 6:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from DB
Champions elect someone said, so have we got a winning mentality. 12 games in and we have won 9 and what I found interesting was that we scored 5 goals in 5 games in the last 90 mins., also we scored 5 goals in 5 games between the 70 & 75 minutes. Not forgetting 12 different scorers.

At a time when others want to see a game out we still want goals, killer goals at that. It's as if the team has been energised to play for the full game, not 90 mins. but play till the final whistle. What we are witnessing is not a revival but a new renaissance of a Town team; something akin to "Fergy Time" in the old Man Utd era.

Long may it continue until we become Champions.

Optimistic and positive, as always.

I think the mentality is one that's set the bar high and backed it up with some evident resilience to a degree.

Bigger tests await though for sure.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
toontown
October 24, 2021, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Kris2
I think people forgot what it was like to be backing a team full of players with that mentality. Losing and the losing mentality that comes with it has been a curse for too long. I think this team is much better than the last team that got us promoted out this league and probably a good thing as I think teams in general are better than last time we were here.

We never looked settled in L2 after Hurst went to Shrews and went through a bunch of managers and their teams progressively going downhill. The difference on last season is staggering even on players who were first teamers last season, until the very end of the season no fight was installed in the team and nobody wanted the responsibility of making things happen. Watching how Dover went down against us reminded me of us so much last season. We have a team where players all want to play and they do everything they can to show what they can do. It's great seeing everyone want the ball and taking chances plus all the movement. Far cry from a player looking up and nobody is moving, nobody wants the ball.

Yeah after the match yesterday we talked about our chronic lack of movement up top that we had for years,  and how different it is now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
Poojah
October 24, 2021, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think the mentality is one that's set the bar high and backed it up with some evident resilience to a degree.

Bigger tests await though for sure.  

They definitely do. This isn't intended as a killjoy post as I genuinely think we're fúcking brilliant, especially under the circumstances, but after twelve games we have in fact only played one of the current top eight. That was Bromley, who we lost to.

Worth keeping an eye on Bromley, by the way. They've won six in a row, including their win against us, and would be second based on PPG. The last two seasons have taught us that a plastic pitch is an advantage, what with Harrogate and Sutton going up, so they absolutely shouldn't be ignored.

I think we'll have a much better idea of Town's true credentials early in the new year.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Winning Mentality

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.