Plankton
October 23, 2021, 10:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,197
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Poojah
Yeovil are deservedly getting credit for the part they played in today’s game; whilst not blessed with some of the firepower we have in our ranks I thought they looked very organised and tactically smart.

Their approach was different to anything I’ve seen against us at BP so far this season. They lined up with a front three, which I think is a different system to what they usually play, and pressed us high up the pitch whilst keeping their midfield and defensive line quite deep. It left us looking rushed playing out from the back at times, and then having played out through the press still found ourselves with another 8 men between the ball and their goal. I felt it frustrated and maybe even rattled us a little in the first half.

Ultimately though, if our effort and teamwork have been a feature of our season, I thought we were well matched in that department - it was individual quality that won us the game today. Not many teams in this league have players that could see let alone execute McAtee’s through ball to Bapaga, and few will have players with the pace to get on the end of it before the keeper.

It was a well taken penalty by Lennie, and it took some large testacles to step up after missing one last. I’ll offer a slightly different opinion on him, in so much that I don’t think the biggest issue with him today was his finishing. Regarding that miss, without having seen it back I felt McAtee should have shot, his ball to Lennie should have been better, Lennie should have anticipated it better and even allowing for the overhit pass should probably have scored. We should have finished that move off with a goal, but both players were equally at fault.

The bigger issue I saw with Lennie in relation to today’s game is that he plays with his back to goal. He holds the ball up well, and that will be a very useful quality in some matches this season, but it’s probably not how you want to set-up at home against a stubborn and hardworking side like Yeovil. I thought it cost us some fluidity and spontaneity in the attacking third, and I wonder if we might have played differently had Taylor been available. On the whole though, I thought he did well at what he does, it just wasn’t quite what we needed at time.

I thought Sousa looked excellent when he came on, and looked like a man desperate to win his shirt back. That, right now, is surely the major selection headache Hurst has - if there’s only room in the lineup for one of Sousa or Bapaga, who starts? Personally I think Sousa looks the more refined player and has lost that little bit of rawness he had in the first few games, but Bapaga’s return in terms of goals and assists (mostly by way of penalties won) is hard to argue with.

As much as today could have ended with a different outcome and Yeovil certainly made us sweat, there weren’t too many hearts in mouth moments and we probably just about deserved the three points. A neat goal from McAtee, not quite at his excellent best, put some gloss on the score line and made injury time a lot less stressful.

Overall, the pleasing thing is that we’re winning games in different ways. The last four Saturday’s we’ve alternated between spanking teams and then grinding out a result.

Notts County to get the spanking then…but we’ll need to be a bit better than we were today.

Grounded and well thought analysis. I disagree, as I had my heart in mouth far too much, but that is perhaps a reflex of previous renditions of Grimsby Town.

I think Sousa is the far more talented man, he did a wonderful technique to put the ball past a defender and only lost out because he ran out of room on the pitch, that technical play at this level is sublime and unheard of.

Agreed on the McAtee and LJL incident, McAtee should've shot, but he didn't and should've put a better ball in, LJL should've anticipated the ball, but didn't and we ended up what we saw.

Biggest but of buts, Champion winning sides win when they play poorly, as we did today. On the surface a 2-0 win looks simple, but we ground it out through the team and that's what winning sides do, they win. So let's keep winning and hopefully still be at this stage at the end of the season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
Poojah
October 23, 2021, 11:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Plankton

Grounded and well thought analysis. I disagree, as I had my heart in mouth far too much, but that is perhaps a reflex of previous renditions of Grimsby Town.

I think Sousa is the far more talented man, he did a wonderful technique to put the ball past a defender and only lost out because he ran out of room on the pitch, that technical play at this level is sublime and unheard of.

Agreed on the McAtee and LJL incident, McAtee should've shot, but he didn't and should've put a better ball in, LJL should've anticipated the ball, but didn't and we ended up what we saw.

Biggest but of buts, Champion winning sides win when they play poorly, as we did today. On the surface a 2-0 win looks simple, but we ground it out through the team and that's what winning sides do, they win. So let's keep winning and hopefully still be at this stage at the end of the season.

I think there are lots of signs exhibited by this side which are characteristic of title winning teams.

We’ve got the best GD in the division, with both joint best goals scored and against records. We’ve won 8 penalties and conceded 0. We’ve scored important goals in or approaching injury time in 5 out of 12 matches. We’ve kept clean sheets in half of our matches so far. If we can avoid conceding on Tuesday, we’ll have gone a month without conceding a goal with 11 men on the pitch. More goal scorers than any other side in the league.  

Add to all that, of course, that we are currently 4 points clear at the top. Long, long way to go yet but there are many positive signs.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
HertsGTFC
October 23, 2021, 11:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Poojah

I think there are lots of signs exhibited by this side which are characteristic of title winning teams.

We’ve got the best GD in the division, with both joint best goals scored and against records. We’ve won 8 penalties and conceded 0. We’ve scored important goals in or approaching injury time in 5 out of 12 matches. We’ve kept clean sheets in half of our matches so far. If we can avoid conceding on Tuesday, we’ll have gone a month without conceding a goal with 11 men on the pitch.

Add to that, of course, that we are currently 4 points clear at the top. Long, long way to go yet but there are many positive signs.

I’d also add confidence, belief, unity, resilience, desire, work ethic and something about engaging with the support in a positive way.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
Limerick Mariner
October 23, 2021, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from aldi_01

This is my take on it, we’ve improved beyond what anyone would’ve imagined and anyone that thought we’d be too at this current stage is a liar…

We look a decent side, perhaps not our best performance today but we won and good sides find a way of winning…I reckon, with the exception of possibly Chesterfield, every single team would happily swap and be us at this moment in time…
Fans of teams around the top would’ve been looking at phones with 5 to go, seeing Yeovil in the ascendancy and hoping they nicked something…then we scored…remember how many times we left BP and then ducking Barnet scored or Fleetwood nicked one etc…

May be we’ve become that team finally…

I keep saying it, but today really is a prime example so I'll say it again, look at the way Lincoln won the title. Ruthless against the lower level teams in terms of wins - and how many involved AkindePen plus late goal?

I'm also thinking about what Martin Johnson (Leicester / England rugby captain) used to say - make sure you are in the game with 10 minutes left even if you are not ahead, the last 10 is when it hurts and when pressure leads to most mistakes - the number of times I saw Leicester turn the screw in the last 10 to turn a small deficit into a win through exemplary fitness and pressure.

But I think this also applies to the whole season, even if we are not top with 10 games to go we need to be in the race, something we never achieved last time we were down here - we were never still in the race for the title. Look at our last 10 games - two away games against current 2nd and 3rd and apart from that it doesn't look like a difficult run-in at all (although things may change alot granted). Every win, whilst not playing at our best is still a step to being in the race with 10 to go

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
Plankton
October 23, 2021, 11:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’d also add confidence, belief, unity, resilience, desire, work ethic and something about engaging with the support in a positive way.

The team has been clearly told to engage with the fans. At the end of every home game, they come around and clap with the fans, which is lovely to see.

Today Harry Clifton when he was subbed took himself at the other end of the pitch and received a glorious response from every end of the ground.

I think Hurst is nous to player and fan interaction, which is great to see, they see that they love our support and it's returned in kind.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
TownSNAFU5
October 24, 2021, 12:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Bar one team we have a GD of at least 5 better than every other team. At least after a quick check.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
grimsby pete
October 24, 2021, 12:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Just back to Suffolk after a wonderful day with my girls

Had the pleasure of sitting next to golfer who I find has a sense of humour the same as mine.

Also met Kingston and fish fanny  for the first time so all in all a great day.

We played not at our best and Yeovil were a decent side but we still won 2-0 so that tells me we have a good squad .

It's ours to win guys and I believe we will finish as champions if we get that extra striker and manage to keep the loan players until the end of the season

Fantastic crowd making a lot of noise but it baffled me how we can issue over 7000 tickets but only 6400 turn up well I could not see that many empty seats so I think the club should explain the difference.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
Plankton
October 24, 2021, 12:48am

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

We’ve got the best GD in the division, with both joint best goals scored and against records. We’ve won 8 penalties and conceded 0. We’ve scored important goals in or approaching injury time in 5 out of 12 matches. We’ve kept clean sheets in half of our matches so far. If we can avoid conceding on Tuesday, we’ll have gone a month without conceding a goal with 11 men on the pitch. More goal scorers than any other side in the league.  

Add to all that, of course, that we are currently 4 points clear at the top. Long, long way to go yet but there are many positive signs.

If you look at the stats of champion winning sides, we're doing exactly what they did. We did as you said, won penalties, conceded little. We're scoring early in a game, but more importantly, scoring mostly in the second half, we're doing exactly what successful teams do, we score and kill a game. Yeovil were pressing and pressing today, and I think in fairness could've nicked one but we did what winning sides do and took a second on the stroke of injury time to kill it. We took away their desire to get a point, that's what winning teams do. Impressive, even if it leaves a little bit to be desired in performance.

I'll take it over and again above what we've been served before at BP.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
Plankton
October 24, 2021, 12:54am

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just back to Suffolk after a wonderful day with my girls

Had the pleasure of sitting next to golfer who I find has a sense of humour the same as mine.

Also met Kingston and fish fanny  for the first time so all in all a great day.

We played not at our best and Yeovil were a decent side but we still won 2-0 so that tells me we have a good squad .

It's ours to win guys and I believe we will finish as champions if we get that extra striker and manage to keep the loan players until the end of the season

Fantastic crowd making a lot of noise but it baffled me how we can issue over 7000 tickets but only 6400 turn up well I could not see that many empty seats so I think the club should explain the difference.

Glad you enjoyed your visit Pete and that's a nicety to meet some of us on the forum! I would like to meet some of the fellow Fishy folk if I could, I'm less southern-based these days, so it's certainly something I'd enjoy.

The tickets is a weird one, I've done some maths on another thread and it doesn't work out, but we will see what we get back. UTM.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
SheepGTFC
October 24, 2021, 3:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 6
Playing poorly but winning is a sign of a title winning team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.