Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The down Side of Town doing well
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 223 Guests

The down Side of Town doing well

This thread currently has 4,847 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
October 24, 2021, 11:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,369
Gold Stars: 824
I think it’s hard to get a decent atmosphere going when there’s an expectation of winning. We had that in 15/16, and went through a stretch of games where we scored early and it was completely flat afterwards. We always seem to need some adversity or injustice just to get us going, like against Barnet or after the non-red V Dover. I fancy us more against the big clubs where’s there’s a bit of needle & tension.

For me as an exile, I hate it when I can’t get to a match and have to physically stop myself from listening to the radio or refreshing the Twitter feed as that just seems to make it worse. I’ll be anxious all day and will end up driving or doing something to take my mind off the match. Like someone said above, it was fine when you can detach yourself from it and not really care, but every match is torture this season when I’m not there.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
Humbercod
October 24, 2021, 6:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
Not a genuine downside but found myself having to join a rather long queue because of the increased crowd at the local chippy! I can’t recall the name (just not the Marriner one) anyway it was a good 10 mins before I got served but regardless of the queuing time I felt pleased for the business, it was a super friendly service once served and they had a match day special fish chips and peas for £4:95 and it was very nice  to be honest, they even had a little bench outside to sit and eat on. The woman even sold me her 2 double deckers that I’d clocked in the fridge not knowing they were her lunch🙈

One thing to note was the people that I spoke to who commented on the food prices at the ground “£6 for a pie!” Was heard more than once! And again being honest this was the reason I decided to go to this chippy instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
October 25, 2021, 4:35am
Guest User
Picking 'Player of the Season' is going to give me some headaches the way things are going.
Reply: 22 - 38
ivanosandwich
October 25, 2021, 8:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from LH

Not me! Decent walk in and met the mrs and the dog at Weelsby Woods on the way home. Saw loads of bits of Town that I miss normally driving. Great day with the result to go with it. I did think on the way there that it’d be good if we could do a green home game and try and get as many people as possible walking, cycling and using public transport in for one game in the spring when the weather picks up again.

It would be great to cycle in, no problem in having a few pints, bit of exercise and no car parking issues. The only thing stopping me is where to leave the bike. If there was a secure area to leave bikes, I think a lot would take up this mode of transport. I appreciate it's not a revenue stream, the fanzone etc is more important but it would be great to be able to lock up your bike somewhere and it still be there at the end of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
aldi_01
October 25, 2021, 9:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ivanosandwich

It would be great to cycle in, no problem in having a few pints, bit of exercise and no car parking issues. The only thing stopping me is where to leave the bike. If there was a secure area to leave bikes, I think a lot would take up this mode of transport. I appreciate it's not a revenue stream, the fanzone etc is more important but it would be great to be able to lock up your bike somewhere and it still be there at the end of the game.

If you have several ales and ride a bike, if you have a licence can they not take it off you should you appear ‘over the limit’? Genuine question…

I think it would be great if they encouraged folk to cycle etc…I love the Italian method when every man and his dog turns up on a scooter…

I don’t mind a walk but it’s a fair old trek from Laceby…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
mariner83
October 25, 2021, 10:06am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Humbercod

One thing to note was the people that I spoke to who commented on the food prices at the ground “£6 for a pie!” Was heard more than once! And again being honest this was the reason I decided to go to this chippy instead.

The pies are actually pretty decent value, and far better than what was being served up in previous seasons.   If you compare our food prices to other places with "captive audiences" I don't think they're particularly steep.  

Quoted from ivanosandwich

I'm sure there is a bike rack at BP, possibly near the fan zone.  *edit* ah seems it was removed to make way for the fanzone
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
gtfckyle
October 25, 2021, 10:24am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +25
People moaning about the attendance vs tickets issued.

Long may it continue!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Humbercod
October 25, 2021, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mariner83

The pies are actually pretty decent value, and far better than what was being served up in previous seasons.   If you compare our food prices to other places with "captive audiences" I don't think they're particularly steep.  
(

Guy I spoke to said he went to Altringham away one of the best pies in football £3!

I don’t have a problem if people want to spend £6 on an overpriced pie but at least offer the cheaper alternative, don’t mind paying £3 for a Pucka. I go in the pontoon and the only option is this Gourmet stuff, don’t get me wrong I’ve tried it all and it’s decent grub, but for me and many others it seems the novelty is wearing off hence why the chippys are rammed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
MarinerWY
October 25, 2021, 12:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,946
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

If you have several ales and ride a bike, if you have a licence can they not take it off you should you appear ‘over the limit’? Genuine question…

No, it's not a motor vehicle. The offence for riding a bike when pished up is completely different and isn't about legal alcohol limits, it's about how in control you are (or not as the case may be)

For example, you could have four pints and bike home pretty steadily and you would be fine, but if you necked 10 pints and were riding all over the road, police can stop you and fine you:

"“It is illegal to ride your bike under the influence of drink or drugs, and you would be guilty of this if you were unfit to ride to such an extent as you are incapable of having proper control of the bicycle.

The potential cause of harm of you riding a bike after 4 pints is to yourself, as opposed to a 2 tonne metal box able to travel at 60mph, so imo its incomparable in terms of ethics - and is legally very different too.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
Ipswin
October 25, 2021, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from mariner83

I'm sure there is a bike rack at BP, possibly near the fan zone.  *edit* ah seems it was removed to make way for the fanzone

I remember the many 100s in the late 1950s and through the 1960s who arrived by bike and left them in the back gardens of the houses on Imperial and Constitutional Ave for 3d. There was literally a wall of men on bikes all arriving at once when they knocked off work at lunchtime, most used the Barratt stand if I recall. Goodness knows how they all got their bikes out of the narrow passages between the houses at full time.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The down Side of Town doing well

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.