Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest Town away followings (League)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 394 Guests

Biggest Town away followings (League)

This thread currently has 6,555 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Jackal
October 22, 2021, 8:05am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Biggest away league following in the last 50 years was surely Hull - 2-2 draw in 1980 (7k claimed in the programme for the next home game) or Donny in 72, lost 2-1, was too young for that (Dad didn't do away games), but remember the cars blocking the A18 ouside our house in Wrawby. A few other 4/5k followings in the league that 79/80 season  - Chesterfield, Rotherham and Mansfield and then an impressive 3k at Reading (the special flights from Kirmington game).

Biggest away league following that never was - Sheffield Wednesday the following season, postponed on the Saturday morning - two special trains sold out and the police put a sign on the motorway at Barnetby to warn people game was off apparently - we didn't see it - were still in the pub in Brigg and just getting ready to set off and the shopkeeper from next door came in and told us - didn't believe her at first...

I was at that Hull match and travelled on one of the special trains. We we were on our way to win the league and when that equaliser went in I’ve never heard town make so much noise away.
“ We’re gonna win the league” was belted out big time by every fan young and old. Just brilliant. Icing on the cake was taking a point at arch rivals Hull.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
dapperz fun pub
October 24, 2021, 3:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
So does anyone know what allocation Halifax will give us then ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
HerveJosse
October 24, 2021, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,123
Gold Stars: 134
Biggest away league following in the last 50 years was surely Hull - 2-2 draw in 1980 (7k claimed in the programme for the next home game) or Donny in 72, lost 2-1, was too young for that (Dad didn't do away games), but remember the cars blocking the A18 ouside our house in Wrawby. A few other 4/5k followings in the league that 79/80 season  - Chesterfield, Rotherham and Mansfield and then an impressive 3k at Reading (the special flights from Kirmington game).

Biggest away league following that never was - Sheffield Wednesday the following season, postponed on the Saturday morning - two special trains sold out and the police put a sign on the motorway at Barnetby to warn people game was off apparently - we didn't see it - were still in the pub in Brigg and just getting ready to set off and the shopkeeper from next door came in and told us - didn't believe her at first...

Easter Saturday of the 79/80 championship season Barnsley away .Looking at the books total crowd was 16500 probably half us. I also remember Lincoln away in the Mcmenemy championship year when they had the huge terrace down one side of pitch. Book says total attendance 15000 so again probably at least half us, not a happy day trounced 3-0 still queuing when first went in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
mimma
October 24, 2021, 9:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Barnsley away, Tuesday night game. We were both in the promotion race. We took about 7,000 in a gate of over 22,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
dapperz fun pub
October 24, 2021, 9:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from mimma
Barnsley away, Tuesday night game. We were both in the promotion race. We took about 7,000 in a gate of over 22,000.

One of my first away games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
Limerick Mariner
October 24, 2021, 9:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from mimma

We were already up that night - Barnsley weren’t.

We definitely didn’t have 8k at Barnsley the following year. More like 5k. Not sure about Lincoln in 71/72 either - Lincoln also doing well so would have expected a big turnout from them. Before my time for away games so perhaps one of the veterans on here that went will confirm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
SuperJoeyWaters
October 24, 2021, 9:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +45
I was at the Lincoln game in 71/2 . We had the side open terrace which is now the Co op stand. i believe Super Harry Wainman saved a penalty too if my memory is correct
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
mimma
October 24, 2021, 10:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78

We were already up that night - Barnsley weren’t.

We definitely didn’t have 8k at Barnsley the following year. More like 5k. Not sure about Lincoln in 71/72 either - Lincoln also doing well so would have expected a big turnout from them. Before my time for away games so perhaps one of the veterans on here that went will confirm.

As I recall, we filled all of the open terrace behind the goal, which held about 7 to 8K.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
grimps
October 24, 2021, 10:11pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from mimma

As I recall, we filled all of the open terrace behind the goal, which held about 7 to 8K.

They reckon the away end at Oakwell hold 6000 still now so I’d guess it held a lot more when it was standing .
Barnsley did a great job doing up their ground in the 90s
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
NorfolkImp
October 26, 2021, 12:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: -493
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 1mickylyons
In the last 10 years cup aside am I right in thinking Doncaster then Bradford would be the two largest and what where those numbers?
I am expecting if we get the allocation around 4K will travel to Halifax on Boxing Day.

How many did you take to either of the Sheffield clubs back in the 80/90's Micky?

Imps took 3,200 to Hillsborough (full allocation) with 100 or so young un's being kettled and sent back home on the train (with tickets) for singing too raucously in a town centre pub before kick-off. Only the upper seats of the Leppings Lane were used incidentally.  

I didn't attend due to continual ill-health, but a considerable increase on the 700 or so that went on our last visit in the FA Cup back in 1979.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest Town away followings (League)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.