Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest Town away followings (League)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 405 Guests

Biggest Town away followings (League)

This thread currently has 6,611 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
immariner
October 21, 2021, 3:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
The most Notts have given us in the last 10 years is about 2.5k which we sold. Bradford was 2.5k. Our first away game back in the league at Chesterfield was 2.7k sold out. Alfreton wae about 2.5k. Only one 3k+ following was Donny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Gaffer58
October 21, 2021, 4:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
By the time Humberside police have “liaised” with their colleagues in West Yorkshire” the kickoff time will be 11 am with an away allocation of   1000 max.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 21, 2021, 4:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,263
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from Gaffer58
By the time Humberside police have “liaised” with their colleagues in West Yorkshire” the kickoff time will be 11 am with an away allocation of   1000 max.

And played at Pittodrie.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Poojah
October 21, 2021, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from immariner
The most Notts have given us in the last 10 years is about 2.5k which we sold. Bradford was 2.5k. Our first away game back in the league at Chesterfield was 2.7k sold out. Alfreton wae about 2.5k. Only one 3k+ following was Donny.

Wasn’t Chesterfield the Dembele game under Slade? Chesterfield had come down from League One with an expensively assembled team (including Kristian Dennis) and after beating them 3-1 on their own patch I remember thinking “fúcking hell, we’re gonna do well this season”.

Don’t judge a book by its first page, I suppose.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
oochiad
October 21, 2021, 4:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
Ha ha yes I thought that too, what a game with Dembele unplayable! Now we have so many players that are unplayable and we are the real deal! Still pinching myself daily! UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
immariner
October 21, 2021, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Poojah

Wasn’t Chesterfield the Dembele game under Slade? Chesterfield had come down from League One with an expensively assembled team (including Kristian Dennis) and after beating them 3-1 on their own patch I remember thinking “fúcking hell, we’re gonna do well this season”.

Don’t judge a book by its first page, I suppose.

Yes of course it was mate. I knew it was the first away game of a season. How could I forget Dembele was a Slade masterstroke and was on fire that day. I can't remember anything about the season in League 1 we must have had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
Grim up north
October 21, 2021, 11:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Halifax was one of many mad away days of that era. Remember a fair few just climbing over the turnstile to get in so I suspect it may well of had a modernisation since. The burger van incident and a walk back into the Town centre with a police car steaming past with a traffic cone hanging out the back window if I remember right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Limerick Mariner
October 22, 2021, 12:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Biggest away league following in the last 50 years was surely Hull - 2-2 draw in 1980 (7k claimed in the programme for the next home game) or Donny in 72, lost 2-1, was too young for that (Dad didn't do away games), but remember the cars blocking the A18 ouside our house in Wrawby. A few other 4/5k followings in the league that 79/80 season  - Chesterfield, Rotherham and Mansfield and then an impressive 3k at Reading (the special flights from Kirmington game).

Biggest away league following that never was - Sheffield Wednesday the following season, postponed on the Saturday morning - two special trains sold out and the police put a sign on the motorway at Barnetby to warn people game was off apparently - we didn't see it - were still in the pub in Brigg and just getting ready to set off and the shopkeeper from next door came in and told us - didn't believe her at first...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
dapperz fun pub
October 22, 2021, 7:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82

And played at Pittodrie.

Hurst getting us into Europe would be good going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Theimperialcoroner
October 22, 2021, 7:46am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Biggest away league following in the last 50 years was surely Hull - 2-2 draw in 1980 (7k claimed in the programme for the next home game) or Donny in 72, lost 2-1, was too young for that (Dad didn't do away games), but remember the cars blocking the A18 ouside our house in Wrawby. A few other 4/5k followings in the league that 79/80 season  - Chesterfield, Rotherham and Mansfield and then an impressive 3k at Reading (the special flights from Kirmington game).

Biggest away league following that never was - Sheffield Wednesday the following season, postponed on the Saturday morning - two special trains sold out and the police put a sign on the motorway at Barnetby to warn people game was off apparently - we didn't see it - were still in the pub in Brigg and just getting ready to set off and the shopkeeper from next door came in and told us - didn't believe her at first...

We’d take huge followings to S Yorkshire back then.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest Town away followings (League)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.