Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 267 Guests

If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…

This thread currently has 6,213 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Stockport Mariner
October 19, 2021, 8:10am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Logged Offline
Private Message
Yossarian
October 19, 2021, 8:20am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
The line...'I’ve never visited before, even when I lived across the water in Hull, and find myself wandering open-mouthed....'   could be construed either way.

Intetesting article though.  Love going back in autumn.... the coast is best when wrapped up warm with the promise of a decent ale after a bracing walk
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
golfer
October 19, 2021, 8:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
Think I'll go there on my holidays - any interesting sporting events this weekend ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
Fillipe Noche
October 19, 2021, 8:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Are we even a seaside resort? I’ve always thought of us as a riverside resort.

I’ve never thought our beach is appealing. Looks shockingly muddy when the tide goes out, and the only real nice sandy bits are let’s face it, just a slither.

Travel South towards Mablethorpe, and then yes you get to some amazing wide, golden sandy beaches. Quality beaches down there, and some fab nature conservation areas too that surround the beaches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
DB
October 19, 2021, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

I’ve never thought our beach is appealing. Looks shockingly muddy when the tide goes out, and the only real nice sandy bits are let’s face it, just a slither.

Travel South towards Mablethorpe, and then yes you get to some amazing wide, golden sandy beaches. Quality beaches down there, and some fab nature conservation areas too that surround the beaches.

I don't think your post will make you popular with the local tourist board, our hospitality business's nor local trades people. It's nice to have an article in the national press hyping up the area instead of knocking it to pieces. I did like the description of Papa's as the world's largest fish and chip shop.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
wuffing
October 19, 2021, 9:03am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 38
Wow, what a brilliantly-written article, well done Phoebe. It makes me want to go myself..... and I live here!  

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
promotion plaice
October 19, 2021, 9:32am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

As I have said many times to people, I can think of a lot worse places to live than Cleethorpes and I'm not originally from here.

We've had some fantastic holidays away over the years but it's always great to come back to Cleethorpes.  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
diehardmariner
October 19, 2021, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,532
Gold Stars: 536
That's a brilliant article.  

Upon reading the headline I was expecting the rest of it to be a bit of a cliché filled kicking of our town.   Well written and definitely highlights some of what Cleethorpes and the surrounding areas have to offer.

Like everywhere, there's good and bad in this area.  I just happen to think our good is bloody brilliant!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 9:46am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The Guardian loves us. Every other year there’s similar article. After one a few years ago it half expected to see trainloads of “It’s Grim up North London” types pouring out of the station.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
October 19, 2021, 9:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59

Mablethorpe is a shithole. The beach at Cleethorpes towards Humberston is wide and would rival Mablethorpe if you didn't have to wade through a mile of mud to get to the water be that river or sea. As for the actual resorts, there is no comparison. Cleethorpes is trying, quite successfully IMHO, to refine itself, less Blackpool more Brighton. Mablethorpe is like Blackpools runty little brother but with a nice beach.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
Poojah
October 19, 2021, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,469
Gold Stars: 1,500
I lived the first 18 years of my life in Cleethorpes, and having never lived anywhere else at the time it was hard to view it objectively. It was just ‘Meggies’ to me.

Having lived away for the past 18 years, and having had chance to live and visit a lot more places in this country, you realise what an underrated place it really is - both as a resort and a place to live.

There are more famous seaside resorts in the north, like Scarborough and Blackpool. And yeah, the beach and sea might be a little nicer in Scarborough, and Blackpool has more attractions, but as a place to visit Cleethorpes wins hands down. It’s certainly a lot less ‘tacky’ than both of those places, both of which are very run down.

I’ve never felt prouder of the place than on Armed Forces weekend a couple of years ago. The sun shining, the place buzzing. Great to see.

I’ve often thought there’s an innate pessimism built into people from this part of the world (myself included), even when trying to be positive. “I can think of worse places”. Let’s not do that, it’s a great place in its own right.

If you’ve never lived away from Grimsby / Cleethorpes, you won’t fully appreciate it, but it’s a fantastic thing to have the sea on your doorstep (I’m not going to enter the debate as to whether it’s an estuary). And it is a beautiful seafront, whether you can find fault in it or not.

I always love coming back. It’s a place deserving of a much better reputation than it gets in my opinion.

It will always be home to me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
Ipswin
October 19, 2021, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from wuffing
Wow, what a brilliantly-written article, well done Phoebe. It makes me want to go myself..... and I live here!  

I didn't realise taking acid was still so popular

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
ginnywings
October 19, 2021, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
It's currently wet and windy, but I am about to set off for a stroll along the prom all the way to the yacht club. I never get bored of it.

Meggies is really rather nice and getting better each year. There are lots of new cafes and businesses opening and much renovation work going on. It's also getting more popular, which may be down to lockdown, but it's rare to go along the seafront at any time, in any weather and not see quite a lot of people around. In the summer months, it was positively heaving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
Abdul19
October 19, 2021, 11:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,546
Gold Stars: 215
I really hope the bloke from Cloves B&B says 'don't have nightmares' as he hands guests their key.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
mimma
October 19, 2021, 11:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Just to be pedantic,  there is no RIVER Humber, it is just an estuary.  The Humber was formed when two rivers, the Ouse and Trent met and flowed towards the sea to form the Humber Estuary. Since it hasn't got a source of it's own it cannot be called a river.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
Oly1987
October 19, 2021, 12:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Me the wife and the little one went down to the seafront yesterday and spent some time in the arcades before having a lovely meal out at Valentino's. In recent years we've come to appreciate Cleethorpes a lot more for what it offers instead of taking it for granted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 19, 2021, 12:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from mimma
Just to be pedantic,  there is no RIVER Humber, it is just an estuary.  The Humber was formed when two rivers, the Ouse and Trent met and flowed towards the sea to form the Humber Estuary. Since it hasn't got a source of it's own it cannot be called a river.

Congratulations on the confluence of my two great loves, fluvial nomenclature and pedantry.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
lukeo
October 19, 2021, 12:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I miss cleethorpes so much!!
I always take my son down and around every single time I come back home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
MuddyWaters
October 19, 2021, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Oly1987
Me the wife and the little one went down to the seafront yesterday and spent some time in the arcades before having a lovely meal out at Valentino's. In recent years we've come to appreciate Cleethorpes a lot more for what it offers instead of taking it for granted.

It was nice of Hursty to join you.  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
GYinScuntland
October 19, 2021, 1:00pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from mimma

Absolutely correct but let's keep it to ourselves as since it's tidal all the way to Gainsborough we don't want the mudrats changing their name to Hull on sea do we? 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
Humbercod
October 19, 2021, 1:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Have to say well written and she certainly got about makes you realise we are lucky to live here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
scrumble
October 19, 2021, 1:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10

Well hull is listed as a seaside town, but that was so they could get away with dumping sewage in to the river....sorry, sea

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
louth_in_the_south
October 19, 2021, 1:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Huttoft Bank is an amazing stretch of beach .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
buckstown
October 19, 2021, 1:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
My grandsons who were both born and raised down south absolutely love Cleethorpes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
It Bites
October 19, 2021, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,175
Gold Stars: 259

First things first ... Fenty 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Secondly , the coast line extends farther in land than you think . Keadby the other side of Scunny is technically on the coast .

Thirdly , Cleethorpes is on the Humber Estuary or Mouth of the Humber .
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
golfer
October 19, 2021, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115

Congratulations on the confluence of my two great loves, fluvial nomenclature and pedantry.  

Paddy Dictionary - "nomenclature "   ==  "females who do not like anything about the opposite gender "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
bedders78
October 19, 2021, 2:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12

I love it when you talk dirty to me

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
FishOutOfWater
October 19, 2021, 2:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from bedders78

I love it when you talk dirty to me

Made me think of something my dad used to say about the sun in the sky reflecting on the sea

All bright and shiny

Until you venture in and then it becomes

All sh1te and briny  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 44
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 3:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Absolutely correct but let's keep it to ourselves as since it's tidal all the way to Gainsborough we don't want the mudrats changing their name to Hull on sea do we? 😉

Technically it’d be ‘Kingston-upon-Sea’. Or if they shorten the name like they did with Kingston-upon-Hull it’d just be ‘Sea’ 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Yossarian
October 19, 2021, 4:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from mimma

If you were a true pedant you would have said "....it hasn't got a source of ITS own....."

Its is the possessive of "it"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
forza ivano
October 19, 2021, 4:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
pleasant surprise to read such a positive write up, instead of the usual stereotypical drivel

I notice the only negativity on the thread is from the Usual Suspects!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Fillipe Noche
October 19, 2021, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Hey, I don’t like Mablethorpe either in terms of the town  and facilities. But the beaches are amazing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
ginnywings
October 19, 2021, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Huttoft Bank is an amazing stretch of beach .

Sure is. We sometimes venture over that way with the pooch. The Seascape cafe and observatory at Chapel St Leonards is a great place to visit too, as is Anderby Creek where there is another nice eatery. Lot's of seaside sculptures and a look out tower have been placed along the coastal path. We have some great beaches along our coast.

The England coastal path is now open from Skegness to Mablethorpe and eventually will be extended to the Humber Bridge, passing through Meggies of course. The new cycleway from GY to Immingham will be part of it when all linked up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 7:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Sure is. We sometimes venture over that way with the pooch. The Seascape cafe and observatory at Chapel St Leonards is a great place to visit too, as is Anderby Creek where there is another nice eatery. Lot's of seaside sculptures and a look out tower have been placed along the coastal path. We have some great beaches along our coast.

The England coastal path is now open from Skegness to Mablethorpe and eventually will be extended to the Humber Bridge, passing through Meggies of course. The new cycleway from GY to Immingham will be part of it when all linked up.

Interesting. Am up for a long weekend. Might have a trip down there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
ginnywings
October 19, 2021, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Interesting. Am up for a long weekend. Might have a trip down there.

It's worth a trip.

Bit of info on the area.

https://www.visitlincolnshire.com/things-to-do/north-sea-observatory/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
October 19, 2021, 8:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stockport Mariner

If comments had been allowed on that piece in the Guardian it would be guaranteed to include such pearls as "Its Grim in Grimsby"  "I went to Grimsby once, it was a dump" "Stinks of fish" etc etc.

This is a great shame, because as the article points out it is a lovely part of the world, and we are lucky in so many ways. I always defend the Grimsby area in online message boards, but the old stereotypes are very hard to shift. Sad to say even on this site people have argued we are the last place players and/or managers would choose which clearly is not the case, obviously assuming the club is being well run, which is now being addressed.

I do hope this article is the start of better press for Grimsby. It would help if when we are on TV it would stop showing the a**e end of Freeman Street which is the archetypal secondary run-down shopping area seen in so many towns throughout the country.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
1mickylyons
October 19, 2021, 9:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
The people who slate Gy/Clee are often clueless a lot of former players stayed in the Town and made lives here . It’s not perfect by any means but it’s got some real plus points . I do miss those Lincoln @ home comments it was comedy gold every season with the excuses not to venture to Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Posh Harry
October 19, 2021, 9:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ginnywings

Used to live on anderby road, about 400 yards from there. Was a wooden hut at the time 🤦‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
friskneymariner
October 19, 2021, 9:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

My neck of the woods.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
RichMariner
October 19, 2021, 10:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Born and grew up in Cleethorpes. Been living in West Yorkshire for the past 17 years.

Love coming back to see the folks, watch the football and enjoy the fish and chips (and the sea front). I took living on the coast for granted. Really miss it now, more than ever.

That was a great positive and uplifting piece. It makes you wonder how nicer the world would be if we were all as positive about other people and places as that article was about us.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Cheers Ginny. The missus would really like that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
aldi_01
October 20, 2021, 5:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Great article…always boggle my head when folk who have only ever lived around here slag the place off but then do nothing about changing it or moving away.

The amount of times suggestions and ideas are put forward for change and people just moan or make wild statements that have little substance.

I love it round here and the place has a lot to offer, I hate the fact I work in a school out of town but at any chance myself and the family head in to meggies and use local businesses and the likes…

From a football perspective there’s an element of truth in the difficulties to recruit given our location but with new owners, even if it is a challenge, we won’t be seeing them coming out and using that as an excuse for lack of ambition and justification for being shite unlike the previous regime…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 20, 2021, 8:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,244
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from Oly1987

I don't go anywhere without my little one.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
DB
October 20, 2021, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
For many years I had clients in Skeggy and Mablethorpe areas, I also had to work out of an office in Hessle where met colleagues from the Hull area. They ALL said one thing in common, 'Why can't our place be more like Cleethorpes. it's lovely there'.

Sometimes we don't realise what we have and take it for granted.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
rancido
October 20, 2021, 4:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mimma

According to the latest OS Explorer Map #284 covering Grimsby, Cleethorpes & Immingham, the area of water opposite to. where Grimsby Docks lock gates are is clearly marked  RIVER HUMBER.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.