Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…

This thread currently has 6,163 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
October 19, 2021, 4:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,132
Gold Stars: 265
pleasant surprise to read such a positive write up, instead of the usual stereotypical drivel

I notice the only negativity on the thread is from the Usual Suspects!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Fillipe Noche
October 19, 2021, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Hey, I don’t like Mablethorpe either in terms of the town  and facilities. But the beaches are amazing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
ginnywings
October 19, 2021, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Huttoft Bank is an amazing stretch of beach .

Sure is. We sometimes venture over that way with the pooch. The Seascape cafe and observatory at Chapel St Leonards is a great place to visit too, as is Anderby Creek where there is another nice eatery. Lot's of seaside sculptures and a look out tower have been placed along the coastal path. We have some great beaches along our coast.

The England coastal path is now open from Skegness to Mablethorpe and eventually will be extended to the Humber Bridge, passing through Meggies of course. The new cycleway from GY to Immingham will be part of it when all linked up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 7:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Sure is. We sometimes venture over that way with the pooch. The Seascape cafe and observatory at Chapel St Leonards is a great place to visit too, as is Anderby Creek where there is another nice eatery. Lot's of seaside sculptures and a look out tower have been placed along the coastal path. We have some great beaches along our coast.

The England coastal path is now open from Skegness to Mablethorpe and eventually will be extended to the Humber Bridge, passing through Meggies of course. The new cycleway from GY to Immingham will be part of it when all linked up.

Interesting. Am up for a long weekend. Might have a trip down there.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
ginnywings
October 19, 2021, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Interesting. Am up for a long weekend. Might have a trip down there.

It's worth a trip.

Bit of info on the area.

https://www.visitlincolnshire.com/things-to-do/north-sea-observatory/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
October 19, 2021, 8:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Stockport Mariner

If comments had been allowed on that piece in the Guardian it would be guaranteed to include such pearls as "Its Grim in Grimsby"  "I went to Grimsby once, it was a dump" "Stinks of fish" etc etc.

This is a great shame, because as the article points out it is a lovely part of the world, and we are lucky in so many ways. I always defend the Grimsby area in online message boards, but the old stereotypes are very hard to shift. Sad to say even on this site people have argued we are the last place players and/or managers would choose which clearly is not the case, obviously assuming the club is being well run, which is now being addressed.

I do hope this article is the start of better press for Grimsby. It would help if when we are on TV it would stop showing the a**e end of Freeman Street which is the archetypal secondary run-down shopping area seen in so many towns throughout the country.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
1mickylyons
October 19, 2021, 9:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
The people who slate Gy/Clee are often clueless a lot of former players stayed in the Town and made lives here . It’s not perfect by any means but it’s got some real plus points . I do miss those Lincoln @ home comments it was comedy gold every season with the excuses not to venture to Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Posh Harry
October 19, 2021, 9:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from ginnywings

Used to live on anderby road, about 400 yards from there. Was a wooden hut at the time 🤦‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
friskneymariner
October 19, 2021, 9:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

My neck of the woods.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
RichMariner
October 19, 2021, 10:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Born and grew up in Cleethorpes. Been living in West Yorkshire for the past 17 years.

Love coming back to see the folks, watch the football and enjoy the fish and chips (and the sea front). I took living on the coast for granted. Really miss it now, more than ever.

That was a great positive and uplifting piece. It makes you wonder how nicer the world would be if we were all as positive about other people and places as that article was about us.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.