Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 250 Guests

If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…

This thread currently has 6,211 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Stockport Mariner
October 19, 2021, 8:10am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Logged Offline
Private Message
Yossarian
October 19, 2021, 8:20am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,076
Gold Stars: 18
The line...'I’ve never visited before, even when I lived across the water in Hull, and find myself wandering open-mouthed....'   could be construed either way.

Intetesting article though.  Love going back in autumn.... the coast is best when wrapped up warm with the promise of a decent ale after a bracing walk
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
golfer
October 19, 2021, 8:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Think I'll go there on my holidays - any interesting sporting events this weekend ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
Fillipe Noche
October 19, 2021, 8:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Are we even a seaside resort? I’ve always thought of us as a riverside resort.

I’ve never thought our beach is appealing. Looks shockingly muddy when the tide goes out, and the only real nice sandy bits are let’s face it, just a slither.

Travel South towards Mablethorpe, and then yes you get to some amazing wide, golden sandy beaches. Quality beaches down there, and some fab nature conservation areas too that surround the beaches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
DB
October 19, 2021, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

I’ve never thought our beach is appealing. Looks shockingly muddy when the tide goes out, and the only real nice sandy bits are let’s face it, just a slither.

Travel South towards Mablethorpe, and then yes you get to some amazing wide, golden sandy beaches. Quality beaches down there, and some fab nature conservation areas too that surround the beaches.

I don't think your post will make you popular with the local tourist board, our hospitality business's nor local trades people. It's nice to have an article in the national press hyping up the area instead of knocking it to pieces. I did like the description of Papa's as the world's largest fish and chip shop.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
wuffing
October 19, 2021, 9:03am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +824
Gold Stars: 38
Wow, what a brilliantly-written article, well done Phoebe. It makes me want to go myself..... and I live here!  

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
promotion plaice
October 19, 2021, 9:32am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

As I have said many times to people, I can think of a lot worse places to live than Cleethorpes and I'm not originally from here.

We've had some fantastic holidays away over the years but it's always great to come back to Cleethorpes.  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
diehardmariner
October 19, 2021, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
That's a brilliant article.  

Upon reading the headline I was expecting the rest of it to be a bit of a cliché filled kicking of our town.   Well written and definitely highlights some of what Cleethorpes and the surrounding areas have to offer.

Like everywhere, there's good and bad in this area.  I just happen to think our good is bloody brilliant!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 9:46am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The Guardian loves us. Every other year there’s similar article. After one a few years ago it half expected to see trainloads of “It’s Grim up North London” types pouring out of the station.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
October 19, 2021, 9:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Mablethorpe is a shithole. The beach at Cleethorpes towards Humberston is wide and would rival Mablethorpe if you didn't have to wade through a mile of mud to get to the water be that river or sea. As for the actual resorts, there is no comparison. Cleethorpes is trying, quite successfully IMHO, to refine itself, less Blackpool more Brighton. Mablethorpe is like Blackpools runty little brother but with a nice beach.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If this doesn’t get away fans flocking here…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.