7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Posh Harry
October 19, 2021, 1:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
There is a lot of praise for Hurst, and rightly so because so far he has done a brilliant job, probably exceeding what most of us were expecting.

Just a shout out to the new owners. Hurst was given half a season and signed a lot of players  in order to save us from relegation and he failed. It would have been very, very easy for JS and AP to says thanks Paul but we want something different. Many owners would have done, and a number of fans wanted him gone, but they stood firm, gave him their backing and told him he is their man and we are reaping the rewards.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
1mickylyons
October 19, 2021, 2:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
It’s clear to see PH just had to much dross to work with thanks to Hollowhead and Fenty and wasn’t able to recruit what he wanted in  to save us. Proved a lot of us wrong in the Summer with his excellent recruitment and the football he is playing is a cut above anything I recall from his first spell here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
arryarryarry
October 19, 2021, 3:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from marinernige
Yes

Perhaps if you asked Shrewsbury fans you might change your mind as many thought he did a "Slade" before their play-off final.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
Poojah
October 19, 2021, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from arryarryarry

Perhaps if you asked Shrewsbury fans you might change your mind as many thought he did a "Slade" before their play-off final.

Who knows? Hurst strikes me as a man with more integrity than Slade, but there are certainly some uncanny similarities between the two scenarios. Hurst was appointed at Ipswich just three days after losing the play-off final, so it seems unlikely that he would have been unaware of their interest going into that game.

Ultimately, few people go about their career entirely selflessly (some even less so than others), so I think it becomes less a question of “would he go?” than “what would it take for him to go?”.

Money is going to be a big factor in that, of course it is, but Hurst has to think about his career longer-term. Let’s just lay it out as it is - he’s gone from managing in the Championship to the National League in the space of three years. That’s not a good career trajectory, and one of the reasons we were able to attract him at the foot of League Two was that his stock had dropped sufficiently.

He needs to tread carefully over the next couple of years in order to revive his career in the long-term. At the minute, he’s working for good, progressive owners who are backing him to the hilt, and knows he will get time should there ever be a rocky period. It’s currently going very well and he appears happy and relaxed in his work.

Wrexham on the other hand are a bit of a poisoned chalice. I’d argue the way they’ve gone about their business and the huge disparity they’ve created in their wage structure makes the job a lot more difficult than it looks from the outside in. Success will be expected quickly, and if it doesn’t arrive, I expect the manager will be dispatched in relative short order.

Even if it goes well, how much credit does the manager get? It was all because of the money, wasn’t it? I just don’t think Wrexham would represent a good career move right now. Parkinson will be on good money no doubt, but he’s on the old fabled “rolling contract”. Perform and he gets paid well, but there will be no golden goodbye if he doesn’t.

Back to my earlier point though, everyone has a price. But Wrexham would have to underwrite a huge amount of risk on Hurst’s part for him to leave, in my opinion. I think it would take a 4 or 5x multiple of his current package for him to consider taking it on, and I very much doubt that would be on the table.

Ultimately though I hope they don’t even make such an attempt as it would be disruptive. For that reason though, if they were to sack Parkinson, I would expect them to at least have a go - if it doesn’t come off at least it runs the risk of unsettling a rival.

One to watch, in my opinion.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
DB
October 19, 2021, 4:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,997
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from arryarryarry

Just read about a manager who joined a club in 1986, took him 7 years to win the league in1993. He must have had some offers on the way to winning the league, and according to some he was nearly sacked. So let hope Paul Hurst can emulate Sir Alex Ferguson.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
Poojah
October 19, 2021, 4:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Just read about a manager who joined a club in 1986, took him 7 years to win the league in1983. He must have had some offers on the way to winning the league, and according to some he was nearly sacked. So let hope Paul Hurst can emulate Sir Alex Ferguson.

That’s some pretty impressive time travelling, right there.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
DB
October 19, 2021, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,997
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Poojah

That’s some pretty impressive time travelling, right there.

Thank you my friend, amend. Unfortunately, I have a 'frozen shoulder' and it makes typing difficult at the moment.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
Poojah
October 19, 2021, 4:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Thank you my friend, amend. Unfortunately, I have a 'frozen shoulder' and it makes typing difficult at the moment.

Excuses. You should learn to poof read.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 19, 2021, 4:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
He did, 50% proof

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 19, 2021, 4:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,267
Gold Stars: 295
Interesting that posters above are suggesting that Stockwood and Petit 'stuck by' Hurst after last season.

It is conceivable that Hurst went on the front foot and did a 'this is what we need to do, this is what I need to be able to do it, we can be successful if we....'

And S+P thought that was the right message and attitude.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deluded Wrexham Fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.