grimps
October 19, 2021, 6:24am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
His league record isn’t all that to be fair .
He’s been on the merry go round and had his fingers burnt a few times .
Last time he was here for 5 years with little pressure other than comments on this site.
I suspect he’s under a lot less pressure now too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
DB
October 19, 2021, 6:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from grimps
His league record isn’t all that to be fair .
He’s been on the merry go round and had his fingers burnt a few times .
Last time he was here for 5 years with little pressure other than comments on this site.
I suspect he’s under a lot less pressure now too

Given the comments of some ex-players, I would have thought working for Fenty for 5 years would have put him under a lot of pressure.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
Fillipe Noche
October 19, 2021, 8:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Heart warming to see Paul being admired and discussed like this.

A great manager and I wish he hadn’t left first time around
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
pontoonlew
October 19, 2021, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
I’d always been fairly vocal in my worries about Hurst but I think the person that has returned this season is a world away from the one who arrived the first time.

He’s far more relaxed, he seems far more tactically astute and way more progressive on the pitch. Whether that’s what he’s learnt elsewhere or it’s the confidence the new owners have given him I don’t know but I really hope he stays for as long as he’s performing well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
lew chaterleys lover
October 19, 2021, 10:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Don't we all. I bet Hurst can't believe his luck - going from working under the old regime with its complete inability to see the bigger picture (that is being very polite) to working for astute owners who value everyone involved in GTFC and who will be working towards a series of achievements completely alien to the old board.

There is always a chance Hurst might be poached if we achieve the success we hope for, but we would be in an incredibly good place should it ever happen, in terms of attracting the best replacements. I think we all hope the manager stays for a long time as his transformation has been almost as good as the clubs.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
MuddyWaters
October 19, 2021, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

Perhaps if he’d been given the same level of back room staff that Slade was given then he would have stayed.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
ginnywings
October 19, 2021, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Maybe Hurst always was the manager we are now seeing, but he was doing his job here with one hand tied behind his back.

He worked incredibly hard to get us back into the EFL, but then got Fentied. He wasn't given the infrastructure he was promised and promptly left at the first opportunity. He almost performed a miracle at Shrewsbury, but just missed out and was head hunted by Ipswich. That turned into a disaster and his stock fell so low, he ended up at Scunny, who were in the same downward spiral as we have been over the seasons, with a manic chairman. He didn't last there very long and his departure was a bit odd.

He's now back here with the support he should have got first time around when he got us out of the National League. That season was going well despite the obvious lack of backing from the old board. A great opportunity was missed there by those who never learned from our past mistakes.

Now he has the backing and the off field facilities, he's showing that he's capable, given the resources, of putting together a strong, exciting, attacking team.

The only thing he hasn't achieved yet in his career, is a straight promotion without going through the play offs. Very difficult task in a league with only one automatic promotion spot, but he is giving it a good go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
October 19, 2021, 11:54am
Guest User

My memory is poor nowadays...but weren't you the guy who scoffed at the notion that Town would get thousands of extra fans once we got rid of sh1tbag Fenty?
Reply: 37 - 67
Mariner Timsky
October 19, 2021, 12:16pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
No way would PH have come back here to work under JSF.
He saw the vision of our new owners & saw the potential.
I believe he will stay to see the project through.

The project being to successfully reach the Premier League and Champions league please  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2021, 12:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 137

My memory is poor nowadays...but weren't you the guy who scoffed at the notion that Town would get thousands of extra fans once we got rid of sh1tbag Fenty?

No that was Pen Penfras

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deluded Wrexham Fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.