7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
October 18, 2021, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Hurst is at a key juncture in his management career. He left here on an upward trajectory but since leaving Shrewsbury, it's been a slippery slope down that ended in a relegation out of the EFL on his CV.

As much as we know the contributing factors to that, relegation to non-league was under his management and not he who managed before him.

It's going very well right now but if he was to leave this season and fail elsewhere, I think that would pretty much be curtains. He's got it nice here, he's been able to bin off any players he doesn't want, nobody else is naming the team or signing players he doesn't want.

I would imagine he's done alright financially from his time at Ipswich and Scunthorpe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 67
SuperJoeyWaters
October 18, 2021, 9:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +45
I believe he would only leave us if the chance came to manage his hometown club Rotherham

I know some Rotherham fans who tell me he is still highly thought of my many fans there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 67
MuddyWaters
October 18, 2021, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
I suspect PH wouldn’t have put a squad together in the way Wrexham have. It all looks a bit like non league Dream Team whereas we have put together a team with very decent deputies in all positions.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 67
Heswall Mariner
October 18, 2021, 9:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
No way would PH have come back here to work under JSF.
He saw the vision of our new owners & saw the potential.
I believe he will stay to see the project through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 67
GhostDan
October 18, 2021, 10:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
I don’t think there’s any immediate danger of PH being lured away at the moment, other than Rotherham coming in for him at some point, but hopefully by then he’s got us out of this league.

Wasn’t the rumour that he got 750k payout or something from Ipswich? I’d have to go back and find the article!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 67
fishboyUTM
October 18, 2021, 10:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

At no point in the history of the Football League could Rotherham be described as a bigger club than Grimsby Town, until they opened the New York Stadium that is. The same could be said of Doncaster and the Keepmoat. Wrexham are potentially a bigger club, the town is smaller than Gy and Clee but the whole of North Wales is their catchment area and they would draw support from it if doing well - a bit like Norwich - smaller place than Hull but the whole of Norfolk is their catcment area.

Completely agree. And I did say Rotherham are probably a bigger club than we are now. Divisional status, recent history, new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 67
Davec
October 18, 2021, 10:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I can't see Rotherham coming in for Hurst anytime soon if at all, Hurst is back managing in the national League again, (hopefully only one season as we get promoted), the only time he was in the championship he managed 1 win in 15 games, and he didn't do all that great at Scunthorpe, I do appreciate that Ipswich do seem to be an impossible club to manage and Scunthorpe is well Scunthorpe, but I do think that has reduced Hurst's stock quite dramatically, which Is good news for us!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 67
Stew0_0
October 18, 2021, 11:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Wrexham could do with a high profile manager next to really take them places. I here ian holloway is available
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 67
MarinerDevil
October 19, 2021, 12:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
I do wonder what Hurst's career plans are now.  He still very much needs to rebuild his reputation with EFL clubs after unsuccessful stints at Ipswich and Scunny, and of course a relegation on his CV.  We've provided him with the ideal platform to do that and it's currently going very well.  

So which club could he move to when the time comes?  When he left for Shrewsbury, it was regarded as a bit of a sideways move at the time, but he saw a setup that could give him what he needed to succeed.  Something that we definitely could not.  And I think that's what motivates him the most: having the ideal environment where has the resources and, crucially, autonomy to build teams that he enjoys being a part of.

We're currently the best and possibly only place that can offer that right now.  I think he will regret walking into the Ipswich and Scunny jobs where he didn't have full control of his personnel and will be wary of similar structures at other clubs.

He will of course leave when someone else offers him an environment that is better than ours.  I don't think that club will be Wrexham or anyone else in this league right now.  Also, we aren't small fry in this league or the one above; we can offer competitive contracts to people whom our management value.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 67
October 19, 2021, 3:29am
Guest User
Quoted from psgmariner
Money talks.

If they offered to double his salary do you think he would stay?

I'm as certain as I can be that he would stay if JS&AP matched (or bettered) the offer.

And I suspect that's what would happen. Jason & Andrew are no mugs.

So yes, money talks...and it can also talk back!
Reply: 29 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deluded Wrexham Fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.