3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_501
October 18, 2021, 10:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Won’t know for sure until the end of the season but I’m pretty confident this is the best team we have had in 15 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
MuddyWaters
October 18, 2021, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Is there any need to compare?

As others have said, two key components of this season’s side are loanees who might not be here much longer.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Hagrid
October 18, 2021, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,385
Gold Stars: 528
i wish we had Jon Nolan now though. he really was excellent for us in those 6 months
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Abdul19
October 18, 2021, 10:23am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
I think this team is much better - if we finish 21 points behind top spot this season I'll shove a hot dog etc etc.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Poojah
October 18, 2021, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
The reality is that it’s not as simple as looking at the component parts in terms of players - there’s a lot more to it than that.

On the one hand we have the same manager, yet at the same time also a very different one. For me, Hurst mark one teams were characterised by pragmatism but also predictability - rigid formations, typically 442, that were not systematically creative and reliant on individual flair to open teams up.

The system we are playing now is very different. Much more fluid and capable of hurting teams in different ways. You can’t thwart this Town side simply by sitting deep or marking individuals out of the game - we’ve just got too much for that.

So all that said, it’s difficult to compare. There are some great players in that 15/16 side, not least Amond with his 30+ goals that season. Whether he’d fit into today’s system is questionable though, and you can apply the same to others.

It’s also a little unfair to compare a team over a full season to one that’s so far only played 11 league games. However, the team six years ago did only scrape into the play-offs, and then only just managed to overcome Braintree in the play-offs over two legs.

It’s early days, but I think what we have right now as a complete package is the best of our non-league days. Time will tell though.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
IlkleyMariner
October 18, 2021, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,979
Gold Stars: 69
I’m just enjoying this season. Let’s hope it continues for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
RichMariner
October 18, 2021, 12:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I think I'll enjoy each of those teams independently and not worry too much about which is best.

Hopefully they have something in common by the season's end!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Poojah
October 18, 2021, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from RichMariner
I think I'll enjoy each of those teams independently and not worry too much about which is best.

Hopefully they have something in common by the season's end!

That they're all playing for Hartlepool?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Ipswin
October 18, 2021, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Difficult ever to compare but I don't think any of the promotion side were loanees. The current squad excellent as it is, has on loan players in a number of the outstanding spots so I'll go for the earlier team

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
chaos33
October 18, 2021, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Poojah
The reality is that it’s not as simple as looking at the component parts in terms of players - there’s a lot more to it than that.

On the one hand we have the same manager, yet at the same time also a very different one. For me, Hurst mark one teams were characterised by pragmatism but also predictability - rigid formations, typically 442, that were not systematically creative and reliant on individual flair to open teams up.

The system we are playing now is very different. Much more fluid and capable of hurting teams in different ways. You can’t thwart this Town side simply by sitting deep or marking individuals out of the game - we’ve just got too much for that.

So all that said, it’s difficult to compare. There are some great players in that 15/16 side, not least Amond with his 30+ goals that season. Whether he’d fit into today’s system is questionable though, and you can apply the same to others.

It’s also a little unfair to compare a team over a full season to one that’s so far only played 11 league games. However, the team six years ago did only scrape into the play-offs, and then only just managed to overcome Braintree in the play-offs over two legs.

It’s early days, but I think what we have right now as a complete package is the best of our non-league days. Time will tell though.

Agree fully. Good post.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hypothetical question

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.