acko338
October 20, 2021, 10:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from buckstown
The comparisons between us last year and Scunny this are valid in my opinion, although for different reasons
They do seem to be in that downward spiral that's tough to escape. The manager is clearly not up to the job and the supporters appear to have given up looking at the numbers. If the owner was showing the slightest interest in their plight they could hold some hope, but he seems to have gone awol and they appear to be drifting to the cliff edge collectively
I honestly don't know if I feel sorry for them or I'm deliriously happy at their situation but probably erring towards sympathy. All in all it makes NE Lincs look like a joke and a hopeless backwater and as a proud Grimbarian that's not good

SCUNTHORPE IS IN NORTH LINCS, not N E LINCS !!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 107
buckstown
October 20, 2021, 11:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,122
Gold Stars: 77
Quoted from acko338

SCUNTHORPE IS IN NORTH LINCS, not N E LINCS !!!

Ah, that's ok then, let the ba$tards sink without trace!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 107
RonMariner
October 20, 2021, 12:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
I can't help thinking though, that if Swann wants out, the Scunts are are far more attractive proposition to a potential buyer with their league status than without. So it would make sense for him to try and keep them up. But a club with no assets and a poor squad is highly unlikely to appeal to many. I can't see Swann getting anything like the £19 million he had sunk into the club back. He'd be doing well to get 10% of that back I imagine.

Bradford were able to but their way to safety last January, sadly we didn't. However, if the transfer embargo remains in place in January, they will have to make do with their existing squad which will be difficult. Maybe a new manager will be able to get more out of them?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 107
DB
October 20, 2021, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from RonMariner
I can't help thinking though, that if Swann wants out, the Scunts are are far more attractive proposition to a potential buyer with their league status than without. So it would make sense for him to try and keep them up. But a club with no assets and a poor squad is highly unlikely to appeal to many. I can't see Swann getting anything like the £19 million he had sunk into the club back. He'd be doing well to get 10% of that back I imagine.

Bradford were able to but their way to safety last January, sadly we didn't. However, if the transfer embargo remains in place in January, they will have to make do with their existing squad which will be difficult. Maybe a new manager will be able to get more out of them?

The term 'Flogging a dead horse comes to mind'. Transfer embargo problems, an owner that doesn't want to invest anymore, and 8 goals in 13 games. It's not impossible to stay up but more than likely it's relegation.

The sad thing is we won't have a local Derby as we'll be promoted.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 107
BeijingMariner
October 20, 2021, 4:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

Maybe Carlisle had all the possession because Newport had two players sent off

haha, sorry, I meant Barrow
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 84 - 107
moosey_club
October 20, 2021, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from BeijingMariner

haha, sorry, I meant Barrow

I tuned in to Humberside to listen last night, Scunny's keeper saved a penalty, made 3 or 4 "worldie" saves and pretty much from the point of  Scunny scoring they parked the bus.
An equaliser was inevitable, and lucky to hold on to the single point overall.

A point may boost their confidence a little but the quality sounded very thin

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 107
rancido
October 20, 2021, 5:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from moosey_club

I tuned in to Humberside to listen last night, Scunny's keeper saved a penalty, made 3 or 4 "worldie" saves and pretty much from the point of  Scunny scoring they parked the bus.

I think quality in Scunthorpe, in general, is pretty thin!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 107
KingstonMariner
October 20, 2021, 7:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

But it’s a start isn’t it. I wouldn’t rule them out.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 107
immariner
October 20, 2021, 7:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
I don't wanna see them relegated, I wanna see Town beat them twice in League 2 next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 107
rancido
October 20, 2021, 8:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from immariner
I don't wanna see them relegated, I wanna see Town beat them twice in League 2 next season.

No, I want their fans to experience the pain and humiliation of relegation into non-league.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.