White_shorts
October 15, 2021, 4:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from mariner91

As we all know they inherited BP in wonderful condition and it didn't need anything doing to it to bring it up to anything like an acceptable standard.

So it wasn't just to improve visibility, you're saying the railings were dangerously corroded and glass was cheaper than metal?

It would be great if people simply answered questions without sarcasm or insults.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
White_shorts
October 15, 2021, 5:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

There have been many times where they have been asked about a stadium and each time they've said it's not a priority now and they have many other things they're working on eg a new training facility, which they've said they will be making a decision on where that will be fairly soon, maybe 2 months.

More recently, with increased attendances, they've said a new stadium is still not a priority but they will keep monitoring the situation.

I'm well aware of the club's official line, but Stockwood and Pettit must have some personal thoughts on the matter. I just hope the apparent lack of urgency doesn't come back to haunt us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
Heswall Mariner
October 15, 2021, 5:08pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Keep up Shorty - they have made it abundantly clear that a new stadium is not currently on the agenda.
Hence improvements to BP are ongoing.
A training facility within the community is on the agenda & seems to be progressing.
JSF 'loans' are being repaid.
Most of us, I think, are more than happy (ecstatic) with the progress made to date both on & off the pitch.
Patience my son, you'll get your new stadium - but not for the best part of some time yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
TinklerMan
October 15, 2021, 5:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Couldn't they just rebuild parts of Blundell Park? Parking aside, I think its a really charming ground with a traditional feel to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
ska face
October 15, 2021, 5:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from White_shorts

What questions? Unnecessary expenditure when squad strengthening should be the priority? Safety i.e. shatter resistance?

It would be nice if the owners gave us a clue as to what is going on with regard to relocation. For example:

"We have thanked the Freemen for their enthusiasm and patience, but feel most fans would not want to park on the East Marsh."

or

"The old fish dock is our preferred site, and we continue to negotiate with ABP."

or

"We have informed the council that Grimsby West represents the best chance to deliver a new stadium."

or

"League One is our natural level, and so the existing 9,000 capacity is adequate."

It is nearly three years since the high rise flats were demolished. I hoped we would create a 'modern' Blundell Park at Freemo, close enough to Freshney Place for park and ride or park and walk. Alas, I get the impression most people would prefer a vast car park on the western outskirts of town.

Mr White Shorts losing the plot as he watches his potential windfall go up in smoke.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
DB
October 15, 2021, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
We appear to now have 2 threads about a new stadium, can we merge them?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
Heisenberg
October 15, 2021, 6:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,038
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from TinklerMan
Couldn't they just rebuild parts of Blundell Park? Parking aside, I think its a really charming ground with a traditional feel to it.

The Main Stand and Osmond are dilapidated fire hazards.

The Upper Findus is dangerous due to the inadequate ingress and egress.

The Pontoon is a bit small, but in no immediate need of upgrading.

Three corners are open. There’s not even any terracing on which to put any seats or rail seating.

BP would need a complete rebuild, it would cost a fortune and still be pretty naff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
crusty ole pie
October 15, 2021, 7:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Been told today that the land behind the market is being purchased by Aldi not sure how true
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
mariner91
October 15, 2021, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from White_shorts

So it wasn't just to improve visibility, you're saying the railings were dangerously corroded and glass was cheaper than metal?

It would be great if people simply answered questions without sarcasm or insults.

Who said anything was dangerous? Forgive me for being a bit la-di-da but I expect to be able to see the pitch if I go to a football match. And if replacing the metal railing has improved the visibility (which it has) for a large number of seats then it's worth the money. It shows the fans and their match day experience is actually valued by the current custodians.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
Posh Harry
October 15, 2021, 8:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,358
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Heisenberg

The Main Stand and Osmond are dilapidated fire hazards.

The Upper Findus is dangerous due to the inadequate ingress and egress.

The Pontoon is a bit small, but in no immediate need of upgrading.

Three corners are open. There’s not even any terracing on which to put any seats or rail seating.

BP would need a complete rebuild, it would cost a fortune and still be pretty naff.

But besides that, what exactly is the problem with the idea 🙂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.