DB
October 13, 2021, 6:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,952
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from chaos33
I always think Rotherham’s stadium is a really good example of what to go for.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blAa8nbSyXM

From Google maps it seems to be in a good location with car parks nearby and central to the town, something 1878 want. On a sad note, it's not far from Millmoor where they use to play.

£17 million is given as the cost and 2 years to build from 2010 - 2012. It's also worth mentioning that they did spend 4 years at the Don Valley stadium while they had to find a new home, at least we don't have that problem.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
GollyGTFC
October 13, 2021, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I wander how much FGR’s proposed stadium costs relative to its size. Is something a bit different to the usual breeze block that much more expensive? When you think how long the stadium is there is it a lot of money? Genuine question.

Anyone with any background in this field?

Dale Vince isn’t an idiot. He’s got a small football stadium sized plot of land in a prime residential development area which could accommodate around 200 units and he’s going to sell that off and build a stadium next to the M5 J13 where land is cheap. He might be a vegan but he has a good business brain. Building with treated would can’t be that cost inhibited as Tesco went through a phase of part building with wood before they stopped their expansion drive around 10 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 74
forza ivano
October 13, 2021, 9:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
the way things are going , we could make a real statement with the world's first 3d laser printed stadium

https://www.gcoportal.com/worl.....eks-of-construction/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
GollyGTFC
October 13, 2021, 9:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Good to see several people hitting the nail on the head…

BP puts potential fans off. It’s a dump. The casual fan can’t buy a decent ticket with a good view.

There’s no reason we couldn’t get regular 10k plus crowds if we had a nice new stadium with good views from every seat. Especially if we move through the divisions.

Jason & Andrew know this but they aren’t going to go down the Fenty route of promising the world and delivering nothing. When (not if) a new stadium is announced it will be when all pre-planning permission boxes have been ticked (location, funding & contractor).

I think we should be looking at a 13-14,000 seat stadium built with possible future expansion in mind. And built so that away allocations can easily be altered to accommodate more home fans easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 74
mike_d
October 13, 2021, 10:24am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Would the cladding have the patched holes that used to be used for carrier pigeon transmission of the score for the Saturday late papers? (or am I being misled as to what the current patches were for?)

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
lew chaterleys lover
October 13, 2021, 10:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,645
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Good to see several people hitting the nail on the head…

BP puts potential fans off. It’s a dump. The casual fan can’t buy a decent ticket with a good view.

There’s no reason we couldn’t get regular 10 figure crowds if we had a nice new stadium with good views from every seat. Especially if we move through the divisions.

Jason & Andrew know this but they aren’t going to go down the Fenty route of promising the world and delivering nothing. When (not if) a new stadium is announced it will be when all pre-planning permission boxes have been ticked (location, funding & contractor).

I think we should be looking at a 13-14,000 seat stadium built with possible future expansion in mind. And built so that away allocations can easily be altered to accommodate more home fans easily.

10 figure crowds. Wow! We really are going places!!
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
RonMariner
October 13, 2021, 10:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,533
Gold Stars: 224

10 figure crowds. Wow! We really are going places!!

Indeed. A stadium that holds a billion fans would be quite something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 13, 2021, 11:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,789
Gold Stars: 178
It’s not just the potential of home fans though. Away fans quite possibly wouldn’t want to travel. Say, for example, town were to play a team that’s a mid distance away, such as Oxford, Walsall, Wycombe etc and it’s a mid table clash, how many supporters would be thinking:  nah it’s not for me, am not spending a day travelling to sit in ‘that sh1thole’. Am sure many of us have had similar thoughts:

Why are we only looking at football grounds for inspiration? These are some really good (IMO)  looking non football stadia:

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2014/02/nomination_stade_jean_bouin

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wik....._pano_Ellis_Park.jpg

https://travelwithdrone.com/basaksehir-fatih-terim-stadium/

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
Maringer
October 13, 2021, 11:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,379
Gold Stars: 184
When it comes to watching GTFC away from home, the shittier the better as far as I'm concerned!

A much better time going to games at Welling and Boreham Wood than Donny and not just because of the results!

I've seen us play at plenty of big, fancy stadiums with nothing to differentiate themselves from most of the others so smaller ones with a bit of quirk are more interesting to me. That said, I've not had the chance to go to an away game for quite a few years now. Hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to visit a couple next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2021, 11:59am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Too much pop or men in white coats?

One thing leads to the other 😃

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.