Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don’t forget!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

Don’t forget!

This thread currently has 6,059 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2021, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Woking and Alty were two of the league’s in form teams going into this week. The six points are a massive statement.
Private Message
ginnywings
October 9, 2021, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
We used to lose to teams in poor form who everybody else was beating.

Now we are beating teams in form on their own patch. What a transformation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 46
toontown
October 9, 2021, 7:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
We used to lose to teams in poor form who everybody else was beating.

Now we are beating teams in form on their own patch. What a transformation.

This.

Every time a team came to BP on a dreadful run of form they would get something out of it. Now we fear nobody and are showing why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 46
DB
October 10, 2021, 12:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
I seem to recall we had a manager, Mick  Lyons, who had the phrase " Grimsby Grit" which his teams never had. We now seem to have that!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 46
aldi_01
October 10, 2021, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Hurst has done it again, and even his biggest critics need to acknowledge that. He’s assembled a side that’s hard working and everyone pulls in the same direction.

Naturally, nobody is expecting us to stay at the summit from now until May, we will have a excrement run, we will lose games but I think we’ve a squad that will dig in and fight…something we’ve lacked since probably the last time he was here.

Fans need to enjoy this, all the cry arsing about needing a striker desperately, a worried about Waterfall and Macca etc…just get on the bandwagon, enjoy it and remember…Fenty’s gone, the future looks much brighter and it’s a joy to watch us at the minute…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 8:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from aldi_01
Hurst has done it again, and even his biggest critics need to acknowledge that. He’s assembled a side that’s hard working and everyone pulls in the same direction.

I am very willing to concede that no problem as things stand right now it's fantastic and well done to Hurst. Not only have we got a superb footballing side but the fans are enjoying it which is what it is all about, its supposed to be an entertainment.

However I want to see where we are in May before I change my mind about his appointment, for me final league position is the most important factor every time. An entertaining defeat in the playoffs won't cut it for me

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 46
buckstown
October 10, 2021, 9:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
I don't think there was ever any doubt that PH would assemble a team that "works hard and pulls together".
The difference this time is that he's also assembled a team with flair, skill and the ability to score great goals. This run may not last forever, but man I'm enjoying the ride!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 46
lukeo
October 10, 2021, 9:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,317
Gold Stars: 140
I'm sorry I had to give my first red cross in a long time for you. Seriously, we're not man united.. We're not the 'biggest' team in this division. I can name at least 8 teams who are aiming for promotion. 8 doesn't go into 2 sadly. Yes we all want promotion. Yes we all want success. But are you telling me you want him sacked if wee finish 2nd playing loverly football and lose in the play off final? (for example)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 46
realist
October 10, 2021, 10:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Even I am starting to come round to the GTFC revolution. Might even catch a game or two. Things are looking really good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 46
Oly1987
October 10, 2021, 10:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Swin are you seriously suggesting Hursty is a failure if he fails to take us back up first time round? I mean even if you disregard the fact we all know how difficult this league is (took us 6 years last time) did you really lookat us at the start of the season and go "yup definitely champions this year". I doubt it and if you did you'd have been fairly called out for being bonkers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
I Yes we all want promotion. Yes we all want success. But are you telling me you want him sacked if wee finish 2nd playing loverly football and lose in the play off final? (for example)

I presume this reply was aimed at me You didn't do a quote however I have read my post again and can't find any reference to Hurst being sacked

If you recall I opposed Hurst's re-appointment as I considered it a retrograde step and an opportunity missed for a completely fresh start to go with the fresh start of the new owners

I am enjoying the football at the moment as much as the next person, of course I am, but success and promotion back to the Football League is more important than anything, its all that matters in my view. Lovely (or loverly as you put it) football is of secondary importance. Scruffy 1-0 wins and lucky draws will do providing we go back up and losing in the playoff final is coming second and therefore failure in my opinion.

I don't necessarily want him sacked at all, if the new owners are not that ambitious and are satisfied with being near the top in non-league but playing attractive football then who am I to argue (it keps the money coming in)  but I will maintain that an opportunity was missed and appointing Hurst was a retrograde step.

Until then I am enjoying it as much as you are, currently I am being proved very wrong and I am pleased to be.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
buckstown
October 10, 2021, 10:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Think we have to bear in mind how tough this league is and success and failure are not black and white. Surely it's possible to be relatively successful and still be in this division next season
The club is rebuilding after a disastrous 20 year period and I had little hope of getting back in the league at the first attempt. If we're 10 points clear in April and don't do that would be relative failure mind you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Ipswin

I am very willing to concede that no problem as things stand right now it's fantastic and well done to Hurst. Not only have we got a superb footballing side but the fans are enjoying it which is what it is all about, its supposed to be an entertainment.

However I want to see where we are in May before I change my mind about his appointment, for me final league position is the most important factor every time. An entertaining defeat in the playoffs won't cut it for me

Absolutely ridiculous post.
I was in the same place at the start of the season I didn’t want Hurst back. I didn’t want to endure the negative tactics, the constant tinkering of players and formations, antagonism with sections of the fans and I honestly didn’t think we would be serious contenders this season.

Just like you Swim I got this completely wrong, 11 games in and Hurst and his management team have achieved so much more than I could of imagined. The football has been anything but negative, he has given us a team to be proud of again (t’s been a long time to say this) his rapport with the fans has been excellent and I know we are winning but even last season he seemed happy to be here, he has brought the fans together, I’ve never seen so many kids wearing their Town kits with pride around the local pitches! So for me even with promotion being the ultimate goal if it does go pear shaped (which it won’t) the new owners still made the right decision.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
fishboyUTM
October 10, 2021, 11:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from buckstown
Think we have to bear in mind how tough this league is and success and failure are not black and white. Surely it's possible to be relatively successful and still be in this division next season
The club is rebuilding after a disastrous 20 year period and I had little hope of getting back in the league at the first attempt. If we're 10 points clear in April and don't do that would be relative failure mind you

Grimsby Town in the National league is unacceptable. League two isn't acceptable either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

I was in the same place at the start of the season I didn’t want Hurst back. I didn’t want to endure the negative tactics, the constant tinkering of players and formations, antagonism with sections of the fans and I honestly didn’t think we would be serious contenders this season.

Just like you Swim I got this completely wrong, 11 games in and Hurst and his management team have achieved so much more than I could of imagined. The football has been anything but negative, he has given us a team to be proud of again (t’s been a long time to say this) his rapport with the fans has been excellent and I know we are winning but even last season he seemed happy to be here, he has brought the fans together, I’ve never seen so many kids wearing their Town kits with pride around the local pitches! So for me even with promotion being the ultimate goal if it does go pear shaped (which it won’t) the new owners still made the right decision.

It all depends on what you want I suppose

A team to be proud of, rapport with the fans, kids in Town shirts and non league football are not my priorities

Lets all hope that things carry on as they are now and everybody (even me) will be happy

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 11:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It all depends on what you want I suppose

A team to be proud of, rapport with the fans, kids in Town shirts and non league football are not my priorities

Lets all hope that things carry on as they are now and everybody (even me) will be happy

No Town wants to be in this league but many at the start of the season were  resigned to be down here for a good few years, was there another manager realistically then who you thought of that would of taken us straight back up?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

No Town wants to be in this league but many at the start of the season were  resigned to be down here for a good few years, was there another manager realistically then who you thought of that would of taken us straight back up?

I've been asked that many times and I give the same reply - I don't know!

I don't know because the job was not advertised so we did not have the benefit of seeing who the applicants were. Had we had a list I would have given you my choice. My main point was that if the new owners has pushed the boat out salary wise who knows who might have applied?

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 11:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't know because the job was not advertised so we did not have the benefit of seeing who the applicants were. Had we had a list I would have given you my choice. My main point was that if the new owners has pushed the boat out salary wise who knows who might have applied?

No I didn’t think so 🙄
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
October 10, 2021, 11:28am
Guest User
Quoted from DB
I seem to recall we had a manager, Mick  Lyons, who had the phrase " Grimsby Grit" which his teams never had. We now seem to have that!

Calling Mick Lyons a 'manager' is stretching things a bit.

A 'butcher' would be a better description, because that's what he did to the decent Town side we had then.
Reply: 18 - 46
KingstonMariner
October 10, 2021, 11:43am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Humbercod

Sit down for this.

I agree*. I wasn’t against Hurst coming back, FL survival is a different thing to NL promotion, but I was a big critic of Hurst Mk I got the same reasons as you. I’m chuffed to bits and a bit surprised with Hurst Mk II.

* Well apart from the opening sentence, I don’t agree with Swin but I don’t think it’s a ridiculous post. Just his opinion.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
TheRealJohnLewis
October 10, 2021, 12:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I'm still reserved about the appointment as last season was terrible and Hurst was lucky to keep the job. Even though everything seems to be going really well and the moment with an exciting looking team. We are only 11 games into the season and this might just be a freakishly good start to a season and we fade away in the 2nd half of the season or we might go unbeaten for the rest.

I will judge when the season is over and whether I deem this season to be a success or not. I don't really know what my "success" looks like at present and where I think we should be finishing this season.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
ginnywings
October 10, 2021, 12:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I thought bringing back Hurst last season was the right move and I wasn't one of his biggest fans in the past.

We needed someone to steady the ship and hopefully he could also save us as he saved the Shrews, but it wasn't to be. Even PH couldn't get a tune out of the dross he was left to work with.

Once relegation was confirmed, then yes, Hurst had to be left to the task of rebuilding us, given his excellent track record in non league. I went on record as saying that although I agreed with his appointment, a club of our size and following had to at least be top 7 for Hurst to be classed as a success and plenty of other managers had turned around poor teams in quick order given the right backing.

Didn't think he would turn us around as quickly as he has done and certainly not playing the football we have been. Thought it would be a steady start and build as the season went on, timing it to come good as the business end of the season approached, with us hopefully in the play off mix. Thought we would be resilient and tough to beat, with quite a few games decided by the odd goal.

I don't normally take much notice of positions and results until a dozen games have passed, roughly a quarter of the season. We have now played 11, which is a quarter in this truncated year and the progress has been phenomenal, on and off the pitch.

Excited and scared in equal measure. Will it all blow up, or will we carry on throughout the season as the pace setters?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
DB
October 10, 2021, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Naturally, nobody is expecting us to stay at the summit from now until May, we will have a excrement run, we will lose games but I think we’ve a squad that will dig in and fight…something we’ve lacked since probably the last time he was here.

Fans need to enjoy this, all the cry arsing about needing a striker desperately, a worried about Waterfall and Macca etc…just get on the bandwagon, enjoy it and remember…Fenty’s gone, the future looks much brighter and it’s a joy to watch us at the minute…

I am. That's the point of being a fan, you want your team at the top all the time.

I expect that they will not win all their games, but it doesn't mean not being top as this position depends on the results of others. 1/4 of the season is gone and we're top. How many in August would have taken a top 7 place, never mind being top?

Hurst has put a squad together that are not firing on 4 cylinders, because they are better than that and are firing on 6 cylinders. Being positive and optimistic is the way to be this season and forget the negativity. Many said Altrincham and Woking were going to be testing games, and the team passed the test.

11games played, won 8, drawn 2, and lost1; on a plastic pitch in atrocious conditions. I'm happy about that.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
toontown
October 10, 2021, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from DB

11games played, won 8, drawn 2, and lost1; on a plastic pitch in atrocious conditions. I'm happy about that.

With only 10 men as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
Davec
October 10, 2021, 2:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Humbercod

No I didn’t think so 🙄

That's rich coming from you, I seem to remember you was against Hurst coming back, or are you now claiming you was all for it because we are doing well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
coddy60
October 10, 2021, 2:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I'm still reserved about the appointment as last season was terrible and Hurst was lucky to keep the job. Even though everything seems to be going really well and the moment with an exciting looking team. We are only 11 games into the season and this might just be a freakishly good start to a season and we fade away in the 2nd half of the season or we might go unbeaten for the rest.

I will judge when the season is over and whether I deem this season to be a success or not. I don't really know what my "success" looks like at present and where I think we should be finishing this season.

😳🤦🏻‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
marinernige
October 10, 2021, 2:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

You've clearly not had your happy pills this weekend.
Why don't you just sit back and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 3:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Davec

That's rich coming from you, I seem to remember you was against Hurst coming back, or are you now claiming you was all for it because we are doing well?

Slow brain day? Try reading the thread again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
October 10, 2021, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Hurst and co doing an amazing job, let's enjoy making hay while the sun is shining.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
TheRealJohnLewis
October 10, 2021, 4:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from marinernige

You've clearly not had your happy pills this weekend.
Why don't you just sit back and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us utm

I'm loving life at the moment, I'm just not getting carried away after only 11 games and sitting back and seeing where it takes us before judging the season.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
rancido
October 10, 2021, 4:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from buckstown
I don't think there was ever any doubt that PH would assemble a team that "works hard and pulls together".
The difference this time is that he's also assembled a team with flair, skill and the ability to score great goals. This run may not last forever, but man I'm enjoying the ride!

This.
The PH we have now is different because he is more experienced. He has managed at higher levels and seen the facilities at other clubs. He is more aware of what is out there and settled on a philosophy on how he wants his teams to play. It is the same with any craftsman or tradesman, you learn through time and experience.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Grimsby2012
October 10, 2021, 4:38pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

As apposed to having a manager relegate us?

I'd prefer to take a punt at the playoffs if you ask me.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
arryarryarry
October 10, 2021, 4:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Humbercod

Stop with the old chesnut of was there a better manager we will never know, the simple fact was that Paul Hurst replaced that useless twit Holloway, brought in 12 new players and still managed to end up with a worse record.

We are where we are and Paul Hurst is so far doing a great job but he hasn't yet "taken us straight back up" Let's see where we are come the end of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
acko338
October 10, 2021, 5:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
We have had years of let downs so some are wary of this sudden good form and feelgood factor.

Hurst says every week that it is one match at a time, and I think that is a good common sense way of keeping everyone grounded......and realistic expectations.

No right for automatic promotion - needs to be earnt right up to the season end.

January will mean changes if loanees have to return.. hope not... then replacements to be sought.

Will the elusive extra forward be found, hopefully no long term injuries to key players, etc, etc??

The league now know that we are a major player with strong intents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
DB
October 10, 2021, 5:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Stop with the old chesnut of was there a better manager we will never know, the simple fact was that Paul Hurst replaced that useless twit Holloway, brought in 12 new players and still managed to end up with a worse record.

We are where we are and Paul Hurst is so far doing a great job but he hasn't yet "taken us straight back up" Let's see where we are come the end of the season.

What you say is true but you have also forgotten to mention a few things. JF was still the owner when Hurst came back, and although Day said money is not a problem ( ) JF failed to splash the cash. As stated in previous threads players talk, and it would appear JF was not liked by some players, so they wouldn't come.

It has been suggested by many that if Hurst had been appointed earlier ( 2/3 weeks) then we might have avoided relegation. Finally, we have the take over dated, 5th May. Far too late for 1878 to have an impact on relegation.

While Hurst has shown what can be achieved without JF in charge, top of the NL, we came bottom of the EFL with JF pulling the strings.

4 people are involved in all of this. Hurst + JF relegation, Hurst + JS & AP top of the league.

Arry you were quite correct in what you posted, but there were extenuating circumstances.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Bristol Mariner
October 10, 2021, 5:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Quoted from Ipswin

Close to the number of red crosses Fenty gets

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
arryarryarry
October 10, 2021, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DB

What you say is true but you have also forgotten to mention a few things. JF was still the owner when Hurst came back, and although Day said money is not a problem ( ) JF failed to splash the cash. As stated in previous threads players talk, and it would appear JF was not liked by some players, so they wouldn't come.

It has been suggested by many that if Hurst had been appointed earlier ( 2/3 weeks) then we might have avoided relegation. Finally, we have the take over dated, 5th May. Far too late for 1878 to have an impact on relegation.

While Hurst has shown what can be achieved without JF in charge, top of the NL, we came bottom of the EFL with JF pulling the strings.

4 people are involved in all of this. Hurst + JF relegation, Hurst + JS & AP top of the league.

Arry you were quite correct in what you posted, but there were extenuating circumstances.

When PH joined hadn't the change of owner just about been completed as I am sure he mentioned he had spoken to the new owners?
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
It Bites
October 10, 2021, 6:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,173
Gold Stars: 259
Fenty 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
EvilFish
October 10, 2021, 7:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from Ipswin

We could get Robin "Lennie" Lawrence in again, eh Swin? Maybe your judgement is just a little off...

You keep this schtick going though, it's been your thing for two decades so why stop now?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from EvilFish

We could get Robin "Lennie" Lawrence in again, eh Swin? Maybe your judgement is just a little off...

Can't recall another manager beating Liverpool

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grimsby2012

As apposed to having a manager relegate us?

Hurst has already done that

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
EvilFish
October 10, 2021, 7:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from Ipswin

Slade beat Spurs. Is he your mate too?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
A Brace Of Tees
October 10, 2021, 7:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +692
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Ipswin

Didn't get us promoted though did it Swin, which I believe is your requirement for Hurst's continued employment.- in fact we only just staved off relegation during that hopeless league season during which Lawrence was sacked.

If your choice wasn't Hurst, then I'd be keen to know who you'd have preferred - whether they were on the short list or not. You must have had someone in mind? And whoever that person was, can you honestly hand on heart be quite sure they would have engineered the incredible performances we've seen so far?

In a remarkably short space of time, a group of players has been assembled which is producing some of the best football we've witnessed in 20 years. The signings he's made, including those players on loan (who barely anyone had even heard of) have proved to be inspirational.

So let's go back to the original question - who would have done better than this?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
marinerjase
October 10, 2021, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 147
There’s opinions - and there’s opinions. Would be a decent argument re PH not being right if not conveniently forgetting he left first time round as didn’t get the backing/improvements he wanted, could see the club was stagnating/going backwards and got frustrated. Then went on to prove himself at Shrewsbury, before it went sour at Ipswich, where..let’s be honest ..a fair few have. Maybe it came too soon? Spell out the game..did ok under the circumstances at Scunny, got sacked - maybe prematurely- and came back here, too a team/club that was up excrement creek. Yes- had time to keep us in league, didn’t- but it was a fair effort given what he inherited. Common knowledge he came back only because he knew the owner was going, and had spoken to the new ones.

Arguments about ‘who knows what manager we could have had’ because of no interviews can also be twisted to suit - in that it could be suggested they/he knew it was the right fit. He knew the club,area, players, non league etc etc - was open to the move even knowing we could well lose League status.

Once the season was completed, he’s ripped the squad apart, developed a new one, given opportunities to be proved wrong (Waterfall), been a major influence in improvements with regards to fitness/strength/conditioning/attitudes, developed a squad with the work ethic and unity his squad always has.

The start of the season has got a team playing with a positive approach, desire, commitment, and a willingness to get points in different ways. I think you’d agree the points/start has surpassed everyone’s expectations- and whilst acknowledging there’s 75% of season to go - based on the evidence thus far it is going to be a better season than most bargained for.

The stance of ‘going up - anything else is failure’ is fair enough - each to their own - but again, put in context where the club was on and off pitch a few months ago, I think most fans were realistic enough to accept a play off position, top half at worst - with room to kick on after.

It’s all too easy to put up a stance, then say ‘told you so’ - as has been seen before.

Why not, just acknowledge that PH and staff are doing a damned good job at present, and will continue too hopefully, whether we finish 1st, 5th, 10th or 15th..

The supporters are enjoying the club and football produced - in numbers - and as we all know they can be a hard lot to please at times. I think that in itself speaks volumes about the feeling towards the club, set up, manager and staff.

What will be - will be - but I don’t think PH has anything to prove to anyone else personally. I suspect the only one PH has to prove himself too is himself.

He’s a damned good manager, at the right club, at the right time. And partly responsible in the recovery of a club that was left in absolute shambolic state by the old regime.

UTM

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Mariner_09
October 10, 2021, 9:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I think it’s become clear that Hurst getting us promoted last time given the circumstances was actually quite some achievement, with proper backing and trust between himself and the boardroom he’s shown he can be even more effective. The limitations placed on him last time were no doubt extensive but we’re currently reaping the rewards of this. I just hope it continues indefinitely, we will have a crap run, we will get beat by someone crap at home, players will get injured and lose form. We’ll have to see how we cope when/if Towler and Hunt go back although I’d always back Hursty to find more than adequate replacements. It really does feel different this time, in 2010-16 we’d have taken 1 or 2 points from these last 2 games, we have 6 this time.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
DB
October 11, 2021, 4:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

When PH joined hadn't the change of owner just about been completed as I am sure he mentioned he had spoken to the new owners?

Hurst & Doig returned on the 30th December 2020. The change of ownership took was completed on the 5th May 2021, some 5 months later.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
aldi_01
October 11, 2021, 5:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from DB

Hurst & Doig returned on the 30th December 2020. The change of ownership took was completed on the 5th May 2021, some 5 months later.

It was very clear Hurst came back Becauee the deal was going through and the outgoing idiot had little to do with the appointment…I suspect it took that long to get over the line as the due diligence probably took longer than expected and Fenty was desperately clinging on, probably in the hope of more…instead creating a deal that still felicitations over the club he allegedly supports. He’s gone though and Hurst looks a different man, his time away has changed him for the better and with owners that give him autonomy and freedom I think we’re reaping the benefits of that.

The fact he gave us a chance of staying up is something, especially when you hear just how bad it was. The club was in a mess, a serious mess, that takes time to change.

If people’s honest belief was promotion is the minimum this year then that’s fine but in truth it’s unrealistic after the previous few years of decline and chaos…nobody predicted this start which is why people are enjoying it. As someone pointed out, even in the year we went up, I don’t think we’d have taken 6 points from those two away games…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don’t forget!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.