Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don’t forget!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 341 Guests

Don’t forget!

This thread currently has 6,063 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRealJohnLewis
October 10, 2021, 12:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I'm still reserved about the appointment as last season was terrible and Hurst was lucky to keep the job. Even though everything seems to be going really well and the moment with an exciting looking team. We are only 11 games into the season and this might just be a freakishly good start to a season and we fade away in the 2nd half of the season or we might go unbeaten for the rest.

I will judge when the season is over and whether I deem this season to be a success or not. I don't really know what my "success" looks like at present and where I think we should be finishing this season.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
ginnywings
October 10, 2021, 12:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,105
Gold Stars: 548
I thought bringing back Hurst last season was the right move and I wasn't one of his biggest fans in the past.

We needed someone to steady the ship and hopefully he could also save us as he saved the Shrews, but it wasn't to be. Even PH couldn't get a tune out of the dross he was left to work with.

Once relegation was confirmed, then yes, Hurst had to be left to the task of rebuilding us, given his excellent track record in non league. I went on record as saying that although I agreed with his appointment, a club of our size and following had to at least be top 7 for Hurst to be classed as a success and plenty of other managers had turned around poor teams in quick order given the right backing.

Didn't think he would turn us around as quickly as he has done and certainly not playing the football we have been. Thought it would be a steady start and build as the season went on, timing it to come good as the business end of the season approached, with us hopefully in the play off mix. Thought we would be resilient and tough to beat, with quite a few games decided by the odd goal.

I don't normally take much notice of positions and results until a dozen games have passed, roughly a quarter of the season. We have now played 11, which is a quarter in this truncated year and the progress has been phenomenal, on and off the pitch.

Excited and scared in equal measure. Will it all blow up, or will we carry on throughout the season as the pace setters?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
DB
October 10, 2021, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,999
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01
Hurst has done it again, and even his biggest critics need to acknowledge that. He’s assembled a side that’s hard working and everyone pulls in the same direction.

Naturally, nobody is expecting us to stay at the summit from now until May, we will have a excrement run, we will lose games but I think we’ve a squad that will dig in and fight…something we’ve lacked since probably the last time he was here.

Fans need to enjoy this, all the cry arsing about needing a striker desperately, a worried about Waterfall and Macca etc…just get on the bandwagon, enjoy it and remember…Fenty’s gone, the future looks much brighter and it’s a joy to watch us at the minute…

I am. That's the point of being a fan, you want your team at the top all the time.

I expect that they will not win all their games, but it doesn't mean not being top as this position depends on the results of others. 1/4 of the season is gone and we're top. How many in August would have taken a top 7 place, never mind being top?

Hurst has put a squad together that are not firing on 4 cylinders, because they are better than that and are firing on 6 cylinders. Being positive and optimistic is the way to be this season and forget the negativity. Many said Altrincham and Woking were going to be testing games, and the team passed the test.

11games played, won 8, drawn 2, and lost1; on a plastic pitch in atrocious conditions. I'm happy about that.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
toontown
October 10, 2021, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,268
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from DB

11games played, won 8, drawn 2, and lost1; on a plastic pitch in atrocious conditions. I'm happy about that.

With only 10 men as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
Davec
October 10, 2021, 2:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Humbercod

No I didn’t think so 🙄

That's rich coming from you, I seem to remember you was against Hurst coming back, or are you now claiming you was all for it because we are doing well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
coddy60
October 10, 2021, 2:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I'm still reserved about the appointment as last season was terrible and Hurst was lucky to keep the job. Even though everything seems to be going really well and the moment with an exciting looking team. We are only 11 games into the season and this might just be a freakishly good start to a season and we fade away in the 2nd half of the season or we might go unbeaten for the rest.

I will judge when the season is over and whether I deem this season to be a success or not. I don't really know what my "success" looks like at present and where I think we should be finishing this season.

😳🤦🏻‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
marinernige
October 10, 2021, 2:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

You've clearly not had your happy pills this weekend.
Why don't you just sit back and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 3:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Davec

That's rich coming from you, I seem to remember you was against Hurst coming back, or are you now claiming you was all for it because we are doing well?

Slow brain day? Try reading the thread again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
October 10, 2021, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Hurst and co doing an amazing job, let's enjoy making hay while the sun is shining.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
TheRealJohnLewis
October 10, 2021, 4:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from marinernige

You've clearly not had your happy pills this weekend.
Why don't you just sit back and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us utm

I'm loving life at the moment, I'm just not getting carried away after only 11 games and sitting back and seeing where it takes us before judging the season.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don’t forget!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.