Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don’t forget!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 354 Guests

Don’t forget!

This thread currently has 6,064 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from lukeo
I Yes we all want promotion. Yes we all want success. But are you telling me you want him sacked if wee finish 2nd playing loverly football and lose in the play off final? (for example)

I presume this reply was aimed at me You didn't do a quote however I have read my post again and can't find any reference to Hurst being sacked

If you recall I opposed Hurst's re-appointment as I considered it a retrograde step and an opportunity missed for a completely fresh start to go with the fresh start of the new owners

I am enjoying the football at the moment as much as the next person, of course I am, but success and promotion back to the Football League is more important than anything, its all that matters in my view. Lovely (or loverly as you put it) football is of secondary importance. Scruffy 1-0 wins and lucky draws will do providing we go back up and losing in the playoff final is coming second and therefore failure in my opinion.

I don't necessarily want him sacked at all, if the new owners are not that ambitious and are satisfied with being near the top in non-league but playing attractive football then who am I to argue (it keps the money coming in)  but I will maintain that an opportunity was missed and appointing Hurst was a retrograde step.

Until then I am enjoying it as much as you are, currently I am being proved very wrong and I am pleased to be.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
buckstown
October 10, 2021, 10:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Think we have to bear in mind how tough this league is and success and failure are not black and white. Surely it's possible to be relatively successful and still be in this division next season
The club is rebuilding after a disastrous 20 year period and I had little hope of getting back in the league at the first attempt. If we're 10 points clear in April and don't do that would be relative failure mind you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Ipswin

I am very willing to concede that no problem as things stand right now it's fantastic and well done to Hurst. Not only have we got a superb footballing side but the fans are enjoying it which is what it is all about, its supposed to be an entertainment.

However I want to see where we are in May before I change my mind about his appointment, for me final league position is the most important factor every time. An entertaining defeat in the playoffs won't cut it for me

Absolutely ridiculous post.
I was in the same place at the start of the season I didn’t want Hurst back. I didn’t want to endure the negative tactics, the constant tinkering of players and formations, antagonism with sections of the fans and I honestly didn’t think we would be serious contenders this season.

Just like you Swim I got this completely wrong, 11 games in and Hurst and his management team have achieved so much more than I could of imagined. The football has been anything but negative, he has given us a team to be proud of again (t’s been a long time to say this) his rapport with the fans has been excellent and I know we are winning but even last season he seemed happy to be here, he has brought the fans together, I’ve never seen so many kids wearing their Town kits with pride around the local pitches! So for me even with promotion being the ultimate goal if it does go pear shaped (which it won’t) the new owners still made the right decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
fishboyUTM
October 10, 2021, 11:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from buckstown
Think we have to bear in mind how tough this league is and success and failure are not black and white. Surely it's possible to be relatively successful and still be in this division next season
The club is rebuilding after a disastrous 20 year period and I had little hope of getting back in the league at the first attempt. If we're 10 points clear in April and don't do that would be relative failure mind you

Grimsby Town in the National league is unacceptable. League two isn't acceptable either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

I was in the same place at the start of the season I didn’t want Hurst back. I didn’t want to endure the negative tactics, the constant tinkering of players and formations, antagonism with sections of the fans and I honestly didn’t think we would be serious contenders this season.

Just like you Swim I got this completely wrong, 11 games in and Hurst and his management team have achieved so much more than I could of imagined. The football has been anything but negative, he has given us a team to be proud of again (t’s been a long time to say this) his rapport with the fans has been excellent and I know we are winning but even last season he seemed happy to be here, he has brought the fans together, I’ve never seen so many kids wearing their Town kits with pride around the local pitches! So for me even with promotion being the ultimate goal if it does go pear shaped (which it won’t) the new owners still made the right decision.

It all depends on what you want I suppose

A team to be proud of, rapport with the fans, kids in Town shirts and non league football are not my priorities

Lets all hope that things carry on as they are now and everybody (even me) will be happy

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 11:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It all depends on what you want I suppose

A team to be proud of, rapport with the fans, kids in Town shirts and non league football are not my priorities

Lets all hope that things carry on as they are now and everybody (even me) will be happy

No Town wants to be in this league but many at the start of the season were  resigned to be down here for a good few years, was there another manager realistically then who you thought of that would of taken us straight back up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
Ipswin
October 10, 2021, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

No Town wants to be in this league but many at the start of the season were  resigned to be down here for a good few years, was there another manager realistically then who you thought of that would of taken us straight back up?

I've been asked that many times and I give the same reply - I don't know!

I don't know because the job was not advertised so we did not have the benefit of seeing who the applicants were. Had we had a list I would have given you my choice. My main point was that if the new owners has pushed the boat out salary wise who knows who might have applied?

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 11:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I've been asked that many times and I give the same reply - I don't know!

I don't know because the job was not advertised so we did not have the benefit of seeing who the applicants were. Had we had a list I would have given you my choice. My main point was that if the new owners has pushed the boat out salary wise who knows who might have applied?

No I didn’t think so 🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
October 10, 2021, 11:28am
Guest User
Quoted from DB
I seem to recall we had a manager, Mick  Lyons, who had the phrase " Grimsby Grit" which his teams never had. We now seem to have that!

Calling Mick Lyons a 'manager' is stretching things a bit.

A 'butcher' would be a better description, because that's what he did to the decent Town side we had then.
Reply: 18 - 46
KingstonMariner
October 10, 2021, 11:43am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Humbercod

Sit down for this.

I agree*. I wasn’t against Hurst coming back, FL survival is a different thing to NL promotion, but I was a big critic of Hurst Mk I got the same reasons as you. I’m chuffed to bits and a bit surprised with Hurst Mk II.

* Well apart from the opening sentence, I don’t agree with Swin but I don’t think it’s a ridiculous post. Just his opinion.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don’t forget!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.