Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 132 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 9,063 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Stockport Mariner
October 9, 2021, 8:31pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Woking are a decent team with big men all over the pitch that made it difficult for us to get any football going .
Defence stood firm against set pieces brilliantly from start to finish and a big tricky guy up front who loved to run at our defence.
Taylor up front on his own had no look in against their monsters in a back 3 and we played in front of them for long periods especially in the second half .
Kept going and didn’t settle for a 0-0 which would’ve be enough an ok result leading to Cliftons smash into the bottom corner .
Well done lads . Keep it going and we’ll be right up there no doubts .

I think we will find it easier against sides like Altrincham who try to play football, as we can out-football them. Think we will find it harder against the more physical sides such as Woking and Bromley, so that was a great result today. Watched the Bromley v Torquay match on BT this afternoon, the Bromley players are all flipping massive!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Sussexmariner
October 9, 2021, 9:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Don’t know how the town fans sounded on the radio but I thought we were a bit muted for most of the game not until the goal anyway, I think  that was down to us being stretched the whole length of the pitch in a open terrace and also around the corner behind the goal.

As for the game, agree with most people on here, Woking centre half’s were man mountains, Taylor got nothing from them all game and for such a huge bloke their centre forward was quite skilful and a handful for Waterfall but once again he showed he’s the best centre half in this division (Towler a very close 2nd)

Woking were a well organised side and will be up there at the end of the season but Town now should fear no team in this division.

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
blundellpork
October 9, 2021, 9:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 32
Agree that Effiong looked a handful for Woking. Good on the ball for a big man and worked a few openings.

A reasonable number of half chances, but very few that needed saves from either keeper, Fox having the only saved strike that I can remember. A fairly even game which we perhaps edged as the second half passed by.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
moosey_club
October 9, 2021, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Just back in GY.
Tense game, rode our luck at times, played well at times, wasteful at times but again 100% effort throughout.

Woking a very big physical challenge, probably the first one this season, we stood up to it well and after a nervy start settled in and played the possession well.

Guilty of overplaying at times and when we did get in behind the pull backs and crossed just not quite hitting the targets.

Kept plugging away and became more dominant as the game went on but very few attempts at goal, Fox hitting a beauty that the keeper saved very well after a direct surging run.

Time running out and super sub max wright enters the fray, little bit more impetus from him, a great shout from Harry, a great pass from Max and boooooommmmm!!! Sweet as you like, great goal from 20-25 yds.

Just the 5 mins left to bring on Pearson and concede ground for the crosses to come but we survived.

Hard work this week against a stubborn Woking outfit but still 3 points in the bag.

M.o.m  Fox for me.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
GrimRob
October 9, 2021, 9:46pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Town just kept going and seemed confident that they would eventually break Woking down, provided they didn't concede. I don't think there are many Grimsby sides in the last 10 years that would have come here and got 3 points with scoring just one goal. The strike for our goal will get the headlines but the defending was exceptional and the clean sheet a fitting accolade.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 44
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 9, 2021, 9:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Surely this thread should be retitled ‘Woking From Home (WFH)’?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
ska face
October 9, 2021, 10:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
They were the biggest side I’ve ever seen, absolute freakshow, was like the team of monsters in Space Jam.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
forza ivano
October 10, 2021, 12:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from HertsGTFC
On the way from the car to the ground I was reflecting on the same game in 2013 when Dis scored a winner in the 90th minute, I thought to myself wouldn’t a winner at that point of the game be nice today, I can tell you now it was.

This was a really big result against a physically strong, well organised and in recent weeks free scoring Woking side. The players deserve lots of praise for their resilience and application as it didn’t quite click like it has done in the last 2 games, they where rewarded for this with a well worked and well finished goal.

All the players deserve praise but once again Waterfall and Towler stood out as part of the strong spine we currently have.

One thing to point out is that today we lost possession of the ball a lot, well more than normal, sometimes quite softly but the desire and application to tackle and win it back isn’t something I can say I’ve seen in the past, it gives me a really confident feeling that that attitude is spot on.

The players worked their socks off in what has been a busy schedule when you look at the away miles covered as well as the fixtures it wasn’t the prettiest for sure but a massive win today.

UTM!

thats an excellent summing up of our performance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
forza ivano
October 10, 2021, 12:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ska face
They were the biggest side I’ve ever seen, absolute freakshow, was like the team of monsters in Space Jam.

yes but they also had some pace, skill and technical ability. as P.H. said they will be top 5 this season - i was very impressed; one of the best non league sides ive seen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
toontown
October 10, 2021, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ska face

Haha. That made me laugh!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.