3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
October 7, 2021, 11:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Fantastic result at Altrincham on Tuesday, given how they'd beaten Dagenham at the weekend and had games in hand to go top if they won them.

I listened to Hurst's post-match interview - he knew their style of play and from listening to the commentary we were in their faces from the off. Clearly, given the way the game was going up until the red card, the tactic paid off... but I'm just wondering, at what cost?

Playing like we did, getting in their faces, doubling up, pressing, winning the ball back and keeping it up for as long as we did (and then being stretched and having to work even harder when down to 10 men) is certainly going to take a lot out of us - particularly as this is the second consecutive week we've played midweek.

I appreciate our energy levels are good and this isn't a criticism of that, but despite the result and performance I'd expect Hurst to shuffle his pack against Woking. They're in some great form themselves and, as the home team, I expect them to be on the front foot.

This isn't a criticism in any way - I hope we go their with the same mentality that helped us win at Alty, but you could tell we put a lot into that Alty game and I wonder if we can sustain that level of performance. I guess this is the perfect test - get a result at Woking and I think we'll sustain our promotion bid.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
diehardmariner
October 7, 2021, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I think Hurst has shuffled his pack quite well so far, some deliberate and some enforced.  

Most, if not all, have had a rest at some point.  Only McKeown and Crookes have played every minute so far, Clifton, Waterfall and McAtee just behind.  But all have had some sort of rest.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/grimsby-town/leistungsdaten/verein/1034

Waterfall is, arguably, in that position where you wouldn't want to make changes based on turnover of games nor is it as demanding as say the role that McAtee does.  Clifton has energy to burn but has played 90 minutes for 7 consecutive games now, with two consecutive weeks of Sat-Tues games and the midweek games both seeing Town go down to 10 men I wonder if he might be due a rest.

Towler, Hunt and Bapaga are all young lads who've come, largely, from development squads so may at some point need a break.  Hunt has had one but I think he's one we need to keep tip-top, Bapaga was in and out early on and has now got an enforced break.  I suppose for Towler you could also read Waterfall too.  Sousa is the one who's stepped up a level but his knocks have seen him get a bit of a break.

The one that still slightly concerns me is McAtee just because of how high intensity he is.  I'm not sure if we'll see wholesale changes for this weekend but I fully expect it'll be fringe players coming in for the cup tie with Bromsgrove, including the likes of Scannell getting game time.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
Heswall Mariner
October 7, 2021, 11:57am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Don't believe the Woking game is the right time to shuffle the pack & possibly loose momentum.
Next week is free & we have the Bomsgrove game coming up to perhaps rest some players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
KingstonMariner
October 7, 2021, 12:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good comments all.

Be interesting to see how Hurst calls it on Saturday.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 7, 2021, 12:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,989
Gold Stars: 285
Didn't we take on a conditioning coach in the summer?

If Hurst planned for us to play a high intensity pressing game that required extra fitness it's now obvious why we needed a conditioning coach.

I'm beginning to think Hurst Mk2 might be a man teetering on genius.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Ipswin
October 7, 2021, 12:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I'd like to see Crocombe given a run out in the cup not because Macca should be dropped or anything but the lad has been patient and needs a game in case Macca gets injured at some stage and as Hurst never puts a keeper on the bench he's totally out of things match preparation wise

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
lukeo
October 7, 2021, 12:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Maybe I'm looking at it totally differently and from an amateur coach/managers point of view (10+ years coaching) but the managers will obviously drop the work load of training to make sure players are rested enough. So at a total guess, this week it'll be / have been..
Monday - light training
Tuesday - travel + game
Wednesday off
Thursday normal training + tactics
Friday - travel and light training
Saturday - game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
pontoonlew
October 7, 2021, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
If they’re fit enough and the schedule is as professional as every other part of the club is (can’t believe I’ve just typed that) then we won’t have a problem doing it.

I’m sure players won’t be running through walls on Saturdays without there being some logic behind it and sufficient rest in between.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 7, 2021, 1:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,989
Gold Stars: 285
Brian Clough used to say that if you were playing 2 games a week you didn't really need to train.

And that was with the 'refuelling' approaches of characters like Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns and John Robertson.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Mariner_09
October 7, 2021, 1:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I just trust Hursty's judgment, I don't expect wholesale changes against Woking, although against Bromsgrove Sporting, I expect we'll see players like Revan, Pearson and Lenny given a run out. I certainly can't see McAtee, Taylor and Clifton play that game. We should have enough even with a half reserves side to get passed them. So, in other words, he'll go all guns blazing, run themselves into the ground and then given lots of players the best part of a fortnight off.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Recovery time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.