This thread currently has 3,636 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 7, 2021, 9:14am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,045
Gold Stars: 197

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
October 7, 2021, 9:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Yes well they can crawl back to there mud huts , As soon as we start to get a good team together the vultures come circulating  over head trying to rip us apart . I know its all part of sucess but they can go away in jerky movements for me and leave us alone .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
quebec38
October 7, 2021, 9:57am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
That is a bad article. Realistically Hull are only going to be looking at Bapaga, Hunt or Towler and none of those belong to us so nothing to worry about really as what happens to them next is out of our hands.

Fingers crossed their parent clubs appreciate the work they are doing with Grimsby and would rather them be with us at the minute than at the basket case Hull City.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Rodley Mariner
October 7, 2021, 10:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Someone on Twitter posted a photo of a sheet of which journalists and which scouts were on the list to attend the match. Probably twenty scouts from all kinds of different levels and would guess some were specifically there to watch someone but would also assume scouts just go to matches to see if they spot anything. Hull were on it but I think so were Motherwell and TNS

That photo has basically been stretched into a newspaper article.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Withnail
October 7, 2021, 10:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
For the love of God don't let anyone tip them off about the exciting prospect that is Montel Gibson, or Danny Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
RichMariner
October 7, 2021, 11:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I think you get at least a dozen or so scouts going to any game as standard. There's big love for data at the moment but nothing beats scouting players in person.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
diehardmariner
October 7, 2021, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,542
Gold Stars: 537
In relation to scouts watching Town games, no surprise.  We're flying at the minute, playing great football and that naturally attracts interest.  

But as others have said, it's common part of the game.   I'd highly recommend Michael Calvin's book 'The Nowhere Men' if you want an insight into the world of scouting.  Scouts go to lots and lots of games, often with no real focus but just to extend their knowledge base or as a networking opportunity.

The location of the fixture on Tuesday will have been attractive to a lot of scouts.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2021, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Midweek when only non league fixtures are on. Maybe they get paid for every game they watch and Alty is quite accessible 😎
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 7, 2021, 12:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,262
Gold Stars: 295
I know of several examples of cheeky sods telling clubs that they're scouts just to get into the games for free! And they get a cup of tea at half time.

Apparently very few clubs check if you are a scout or not.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
acko338
October 7, 2021, 12:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
We will have done our checks on our loanees and new signings so it's fair play on both sides.

We just need to show that we are caring for loanees and helping them to progress in games that they would not be getting at their parent clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scouts watching Town players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.