7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
October 6, 2021, 8:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
10 games, and wondered which player has surprised you the most?

Waterfall & Clifton deserved to be mentioned.
Waterfall was 3rd choice IMO, Behind Longe-King & Pearson (Before Towler arrived)
Now he's first choice - Just shows what confidence can do! buzzing for him.

Mcatee is rightly being mentioned a lot, and he's great for this level!

But for me, Taylor has shocked me big time.
Expected LJL to be first choice, as in his own right, he's a good, solid non-league player.
Taylor could comfortably play league 2 still IMO.
He's always played league 1/2, and it shows.

Oh, and hes scored 5 in 9 starts, not bad for a 'target man'
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
October 6, 2021, 8:18am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,532
Gold Stars: 224
10 games in and we have two players on 5 goals each.

So at that rate we have two 20 goals a season strikers at the club already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
thefish
October 6, 2021, 8:23am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
McAtee for me... before the season started, we were informed that he is lazy.*

*Proof you should never trust anybody from Scunthorpe!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
supertown
October 6, 2021, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from thefish

That’s exactly what a scunny fan told me . Said he was garbage and lazy .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2021, 8:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,888
Gold Stars: 225
Waterfall, unrecognisable from the player he was under Runaway....... great to see and a testimony to his character as a person and a pro.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
RonMariner
October 6, 2021, 8:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,532
Gold Stars: 224
Waterfall.

Before the season started I would not have been sad to see him go.

Now the guy is an absolute colossus at the back  and a real goal threat from set pieces at the other end.

Very impressed with how he has turned it around.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 6, 2021, 10:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
I think the turnaround in fortunes for Waterfall needs acknowledging. Many of us thought Hurst got it wrong keeping him around and I don't think he was first choice coming into the season.

Longe-King got injured and Pearson had to go deliver a baby so he took his chance.

McAtee is an important player that makes us tick. It was noticeable how much we missed him when he was on the bench for the Eastleigh game.

Crookes has quietly gone about his business and I was very impressed with Sears on Saturday. Efete has looked good too.

Sousa has surprised me. Very direct and makes you wonder why he was playing for Tadcaster and Darlington a year ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
Kris2
October 6, 2021, 10:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Waterfall probably, had a bit of a shocker last season and most would have imagined he'd be gone by the start of this season. Heard he was good in the dressing room which is probably why he played regularly under Holloway and Hurst even when having several bad games. Has turned it around this season being a solid rock at the back and a threat from set pieces while being a leader on and off the pitch.

Seems to have benefitted from playing in a new look defence with different kinds of defenders. He was paired with Pollock several times last season and they seemed too similar with the same weaknesses.

McAtee I didn't expect to be as much of a key player as he's becoming to our attack, wasn't exactly getting rave reviews at Scunthorpe and didn't look a star player on paper but he's come in and played his socks off. Hurst, the team and the club just seem to be the perfect combination at the right time to bring out his best.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2021, 10:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think the turnaround in fortunes for Waterfall needs acknowledging. Many of us thought Hurst got it wrong keeping him around and I don't think he was first choice coming into the season.

Longe-King got injured and Pearson had to go deliver a baby so he took his chance.

McAtee is an important player that makes us tick. It was noticeable how much we missed him when he was on the bench for the Eastleigh game.

Crookes has quietly gone about his business and I was very impressed with Sears on Saturday. Efete has looked good too.

Sousa has surprised me. Very direct and makes you wonder why he was playing for Tadcaster and Darlington a year ago.

What’s surprised me about Soussa is his willingness to work really hard without the ball, something this side is beginning to do incredibly well.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
NorfolkImp
October 6, 2021, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -497
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Waterfall, unrecognisable from the player he was under Runaway....... great to see and a testimony to his character as a person and a pro.

I did say Waterfall would come good at this level, he was a superb leader throughout the season when we won it under the Cowley’s.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
October 6, 2021, 10:47am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from thefish

He's the absolute opposite of lazy! His movement, closing down and general work rate has been top notch.

I have been surprised by how well the team has gelled. Their general work ethic, their quality and how they clearly enjoy playing for each other and Hursty. Long may it continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 6, 2021, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,127
Gold Stars: 289
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I did say Waterfall would come good at this level, he was a superb leader throughout the season when we won it under the Cowley’s.

So, if we get promoted back to the EFL (and that's a long way off just yet) do you think he can cut it at that level? I don't think it's fair on him to rate that based on his performances last season as we were garbage and the defence was in a constant state of repelling the indians at The Alamo.

But he looks a different player this season and (in my opinion) one who wouldn't struggle in Div 2.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
ClarkyGTFC
October 6, 2021, 11:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
I think the biggest surprise of the season is how quickly a whole new squad of players have gelled it’s not just one person’s performance but the whole team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
Kris2
October 6, 2021, 11:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC
I think the biggest surprise of the season is how quickly a whole new squad of players have gelled it’s not just one person’s performance but the whole team

Coaches have really put together a team by bringing in the right combination and getting them together. There is just something about the squad and how well they work together. During the matchday moments against Dover in the tunnel you see a very laid back Dover team joking around and when Town come out the dressing room they look ready for war, that's what winners look like before a game. The only talking is psyching each other up, you can see it almost unnerves Dover a bit when they stand besides them and you start winning the game from there.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 6, 2021, 11:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,127
Gold Stars: 289

He's the absolute opposite of lazy! His movement, closing down and general work rate has been top notch.

I have been surprised by how well the team has gelled. Their general work ethic, their quality and how they clearly enjoy playing for each other and Hursty. Long may it continue.

It hasn't been a particular player for me (although McAtee, Waterfall, Sousa and Bapaga all deserve honourable mentions) but how we have gone about things as a team, the belief and the style of football we've played.

The positive changes off the pitch could well have been irrelevant to the performances on it (this is Grimsby after all) but they haven't been! The enthusiasm, belief and positivity is clear to see in the team. They all seem to get on with each other and enjoy playing together and none of the guys not getting a game seem to be sulking about it.

I am Grimsby born and bred and have the genetic leaning to pessimism but this lot are really making me begin to think that something special is happening at Blundell Park.

This really hit me last night when I looked at the league table and thought 'how are Wrexham and Stockport doing?' and then I realised Wrexham and Stockport are irrelevant to us right now. We need to think about Dag and Chesterfield, Boreham Wood and Halifax because they are with us at the business end.

See you at Woking. UTFM.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
Maringer
October 6, 2021, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,369
Gold Stars: 183
Waterfall has been surprisingly good and the goals he has scored make him doubly valuable. As long as Hunt is still with us and we keep up the excellent deliveries, defenders are going to be watching our for Waterfall's runs from corners and this will leave space for other players - we saw this with Efete's headed goal the other week as they followed Waterfall to the near post and left the space in the centre.

I've also been surprised by how well Taylor is doing scoring-wise. His hold up and link play has been great, but he's also been getting into the positions to score some good goals, which isn't always easy for a 'target man'. It obviously helps that we're playing some really dynamic football and creating lots of attacking opportunities in most games, but still very good in comparison to what I was expecting.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
Macca_D
October 6, 2021, 11:13am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -59
Gold Stars: 3
What's not a surprised this season is the fans! I've been on here under muiltple names in the last 10-14 years and was always a huge fenty out merchant! Always said he's holding our fan base back massively. Holding our fan base back mentally. The man was and is a cancer, so glad that man will never have anything to do will GTFC ever again. Things are really looking up more than I ever could of imagined and that's all down to hard work and grit at our ORGANISATION
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
Yossarian
October 6, 2021, 11:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
Sousa ... he's given us a real zip down that wing....

In fact the interplay/movement down both wings has been superb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,825
Gold Stars: 42
Waterfall.  And he his scorIng goals.  He has had a long time being mediocre at best.  Great credit both to him and Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
cmackenzie4
October 6, 2021, 11:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RonMariner
Waterfall.

Before the season started I would not have been sad to see him go.

Now the guy is an absolute colossus at the back  and a real goal threat from set pieces at the other end.

Very impressed with how he has turned it around.  

The players we’ve had over the years who had a very good reputation at other clubs only to not fit in at Town (for some strange reason) 🤔

It now shows the way the club is being run that players are so much happier and playing to their full potential whilst with us, it’s been a long time coming hasn’t it!

I’m very optimistic about the future of GTFC now  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
Mariner Timsky
October 6, 2021, 11:45am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Whats the best site to get an up to date list of our goalscorers?

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2021, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
It's all good, isn't it. When one player drops out, the replacement is of a similar level and they're all playing for each other and, via Twitter, you know they appreciate the support.

The surprise for me is Hurst and his staff. They're positive, generally happy and working in a way that we've not seen for a long time at GTFC. Whether that's coming from them or the owners, who knows and, frankly, who cares. You just want it to last because it must be giving the players that extra 5-10%
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
Stuart Discotheque
October 6, 2021, 11:53am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +73
One who has maybe slipped under the radar a bit, but I've been particularly impressed with Adam Crookes. Very solid, unassuming player who doesn't get caught out much and generally has good decision making. Good traits for a young player

Definitely not our flashiest signing, but the sort of player every good side needs

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
acko338
October 6, 2021, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

One of the posters on here updates the scorers after every game on his footer space - when does McKeown get a chance ?? 😁 penno on the last day of the season maybe??

Opponents - who do we mark?

Answer - all of them, they all score, .. well, nearly all !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
GhostDan
October 6, 2021, 12:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
I think like most have said - Player wise Waterfall and Clifton have been incredible.  I've never really been the biggest Clifton fan but he's been outstanding this season in an  largely unfamiliar role, his work rate is infectious.

Taylor, Sousa, Hunt, Fox, Efete, Towler, Crookes all look brilliant & McAtee is halfway to cult status already.

I think the biggest shock for me is the way we are ruthlessly brushing teams away, I appreciate it's early days and i'm not saying we will win the League or anything but I just can't help but feel if we can reach those levels regularly, we will be too much for most.

Doing what we did to Dover at home is one thing, but last night for 70 minutes  & especially just after the break we were breathtakingly good - to the point it looked like men against a youth team, the way we pressed, hassled and just generally made life hell for them was brilliant to see - and then with the ball,  we've got the quality all across the pitch to make them pay.  Against an Altrincham team who are right up there, in great form and been beating good teams in this league.

Long may it continue.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
October 6, 2021, 12:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 16
The ignorant twits at the BBC obviously see an improvement in Waterfall's skill level as I see they had him down for right wing again last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
acko338
October 6, 2021, 12:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
From the commentary last night, it seemed that the benefit of harrassing high up the pitch was enhanced by our midfielders contesting and winning most of the loose clearances made.

It sounded very much like their keeper was really unsure where to go or who to try to find when clearing. This only changed when we were down to 10 and McAtee was tiring.

Whoever described him at Scunthorpe as lazy must have been blind or stupid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
moss_side_mariner
October 6, 2021, 12:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Stuart Discotheque
One who has maybe slipped under the radar a bit, but I've been particularly impressed with Adam Crookes. Very solid, unassuming player who doesn't get caught out much and generally has good decision making. Good traits for a young player

Definitely not our flashiest signing, but the sort of player every good side needs

Said the same thing last night. Never going to be one of the players that grabs the headlines, but is a consistent part of this defensive unit.

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
ginnywings
October 6, 2021, 12:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 547

A list of every scorer in the National League. It's a long list.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/national-league/top-goal-scorers.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
Mariner Timsky
October 6, 2021, 12:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Cheers Ginny

Bit of lunch time reading at work!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2021, 1:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Can’t pin down any individual player who has been a surprise. Nearly all of them have been better than I expected. So as a cop out, I’m going to say the squad.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
Northbank Mariner
October 6, 2021, 1:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
Hurst has surprised me most of all ...
His dress sense has improved massively!!...
On a serious note, he just seems relaxed, happy, chilled out and enjoying his work
And the way we are playing?...no more trying not to lose like we saw so many times in his last spell to putting out a team set up to win and win well with good, fast passing attractive football.  
The pragmatic approach he once had has given way to an approach of "up and at em son" attitude...loving it to be honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
DB
October 6, 2021, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,950
Gold Stars: 386
The biggest surprise for me is the speed at which things at the club have changed from the 5th May. The club has gone from a ragbag clapped out outfit to a Formula 1 outfit purring along.

The seeds set by JS and AP on the 5th May have matured nicely creating success on the pitch. May it continue and I look forward to Town being League 2 next season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 6, 2021, 2:35pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +828
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted Text
Whoever described him at Scunthorpe as lazy must have been blind or stupid.

Probably the Chairman then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
exiledmeggie
October 6, 2021, 2:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -221
Gold Stars: 18
I have to confess, PH was not my choice.

I now eat my words as the whole team and set up has gelled together.

Long may it continue!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
Saudimariner
October 6, 2021, 3:31pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9

So, if we get promoted back to the EFL (and that's a long way off just yet) do you think he can cut it at that level? I don't think it's fair on him to rate that based on his performances last season as we were garbage and the defence was in a constant state of repelling the indians at The Alamo.

But he looks a different player this season and (in my opinion) one who wouldn't struggle in Div 2.

Weren't they Mexicans?  Or did John Wayne go to the wrong place?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2021, 3:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Saudimariner

Weren't they Mexicans?  Or did John Wayne go to the wrong place?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 6, 2021, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Hurst is noticeably different and I have a theory.

Different people want to be motivated by different things. Someone famously said that managers are always 6 games say from the sack. With that outlook coming from above, it's only ever going to cause pragmatism because building something creates short term risks for long-term gains.

If you are always 6 games from the sack and trying to have a career in football management, you are only ever going to play percentage football realistically.

This philosophy is widespread in football but I recall hearing Stockwood talking a few times about Paul Hursts' targets being about more than 3 points on a Saturday. Knowing that things can be done without having to worry about the next 6 games must actually be quite empowering.

Look at Wrexham. Spent a fortune, playing awful football and not the manager is under huge pressure it seems.

Hurst has had the shackles taken off, we are playing the best football we've played in years and sat top of the table after 10 games. Amazing isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
RobDef1
October 6, 2021, 4:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
This is gonna sound harsh, and I apologise for that... But McAtee is the biggest surprise for me. The only reason I say that is because of the warnings, which turned out to be sour grapes, from scummy fans that he came with. Also he was the only signing we made that Hurst felt the need to pre-empt with that short video. All the other signings spoke for themselves with their reputation. Far-fetched I know and definitely (wrongly) reading between the lines. Just absolutely ecstatic with his performances and passion for the shirt.  

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
marinernige
October 6, 2021, 5:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
I think the main reason for Waterfall and McAtee improved form is quite simple , it's that along with the rest of the squad is that they're Happy ,playing a style off football that suits , the Club is now being run properly and on a professional footing, not forgetting they and the fans are all as one.Another thing is Paul Hurst believes in all of them .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
AussieMariner
October 6, 2021, 5:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Hurst is noticeably different and I have a theory.

Different people want to be motivated by different things. Someone famously said that managers are always 6 games say from the sack. With that outlook coming from above, it's only ever going to cause pragmatism because building something creates short term risks for long-term gains.

If you are always 6 games from the sack and trying to have a career in football management, you are only ever going to play percentage football realistically.

This philosophy is widespread in football but I recall hearing Stockwood talking a few times about Paul Hursts' targets being about more than 3 points on a Saturday. Knowing that things can be done without having to worry about the next 6 games must actually be quite empowering.

Look at Wrexham. Spent a fortune, playing awful football and not the manager is under huge pressure it seems.

Hurst has had the shackles taken off, we are playing the best football we've played in years and sat top of the table after 10 games. Amazing isn't it?

When did not having to worry about getting 3 points on a Saturday get you 3 points on a Saturday? 🤔

Oh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
denni266
October 6, 2021, 5:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 131
One thing that has suprised me is the way he sems to  be more at one with the fans , Hardley an interview without him mentioning how good the fans are.  Its not us and them anymore  but us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Bristol Mariner
October 6, 2021, 6:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
And how much better are the players with us lot behind them. They are in this with us….

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
lukeo
October 6, 2021, 6:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,298
Gold Stars: 134
Biggest suprise is the whole thing combined. The start we've had, the team we have, the togetherness between players and fans alike, the smile on my face every day when I'm thinking of my home town club.. The list goes on
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Mayaman
October 6, 2021, 6:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,391
Gold Stars: 73
Don't forget our Harry.  He's always hard versatility and work rate.  Now, with the lads around him,  his endeavours are not going wasted.  The surprise for me is team spirit.  The reaction when they score a goal is amazing.  It's like they've all put the ball in the back of the next, yet are made up for the lad who actually did.  Also we don't get our head down like we used to either after going behind.  

Maybe the Iron calling McAtee lazy has galvanised him.  More fool them.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
EvilFish
October 6, 2021, 6:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from RobDef1
This is gonna sound harsh, and I apologise for that... But McAtee is the biggest surprise for me. The only reason I say that is because of the warnings, which turned out to be sour grapes, from scummy fans that he came with. Also he was the only signing we made that Hurst felt the need to pre-empt with that short video. All the other signings spoke for themselves with their reputation. Far-fetched I know and definitely (wrongly) reading between the lines. Just absolutely ecstatic with his performances and passion for the shirt.  

I read that differently though. I saw Hurst really excited about signing a particular player in the way he hadn't been before. So I was expecting McAtee to be a great player for us. And then, the first time I saw him play I understood why Hurst was so excited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
Son of Cod
October 6, 2021, 6:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from denni266
One thing that has suprised me is the way he sems to  be more at one with the fans , Hardley an interview without him mentioning how good the fans are.  Its not us and them anymore  but us

The first time round was, with all due respect to Boston and Ilkeston, Hurst's first time at a club with a sizeable support. Trigger warning, I'm gonna use that word...the atmosphere around the club during that first stint here was at times toxic. Despite us taking massive followings on several occasions there were still so many instances of fans getting on his back and him digging us out in post-match interviews. He was well aware of the benefit of our support when things were going well but I don't think he quite appreciated us, something that you could previously say about a vast amount of our supporters feelings regarding him too. I think he's had time to reflect on how good our support is, something which has perhaps been highlighted during the jobs he took after he left us. Being back now with the bumper crowds both home and away for our level and with the positive forward motion at the club now, will be much closer to what he wanted in his first spell with us. It's been commented several times how relaxed and at ease he seems nowadays. It's something we rarely ever saw. I can't remember if I've said this on another thread or not but it used to be a bit creepy when he smiled and joked as it was so out of the ordinary but now I'm fully used to it and long may it continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
SouthLakesMariner
October 6, 2021, 6:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Approval: +934
Gold Stars: 21
That third goal last night (haven’t stopped thinking about it all day) epitomises what Paul Hurst has assembled, a team of talented footballers that play as a real team, the team spirit shines through. Every great team needs leaders and we have a few.

Luke Waterfall’s renaissance has been important in that, but John McAtee is something else. He’s got attitude, a swagger and his influence is almost Cantonesque.

So the biggest surprise for me is that GTFC has a player like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2021, 6:56pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman
Don't forget our Harry.  He's always hard versatility and work rate.  Now, with the lads around him,  his endeavours are not going wasted.  The surprise for me is team spirit.  The reaction when they score a goal is amazing.  It's like they've all put the ball in the back of the next, yet are made up for the lad who actually did.  Also we don't get our head down like we used to either after going behind.  

Maybe the Iron calling McAtee lazy has galvanised him.  More fool them.

UTM!

I see what you did there 😁

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Barrattstander

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/league-table

Click on the Town badge for club stats. Scorers are on the 'more' tab.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
SouthLakesMariner
Lager Top Drinker
Approval: +934
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

A list of every scorer in the National League. It's a long list.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/national-league/top-goal-scorers.html

An alternative is the National League section of the BBC website. If you select the league table then click on town and select Topscorers, it lists all of Towns scorers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
ginnywings
October 6, 2021, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

An alternative is the National League section of the BBC website. If you select the league table then click on town and select Topscorers, it lists all of Towns scorers.

The BBC coverage of the National League is annoying. The scorers table is fine until you get to the total shots, goal conversion and shot accuracy sections.

They also have no idea on formations and player positions.

No big deal in all honesty but it irks me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
AdamHaddock
October 6, 2021, 7:50pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,795
Gold Stars: 25
If anyone is tempted, McAtee is 33/1 to be national league top scorer

https://sports.williamhill.com.....65498/Top-Goalscorer

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2021, 7:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Apologies this could already have been mentioned but maybe the biggest surprise is the amount of goals we’ve scored without a recognised number 9.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
Abdul19
October 6, 2021, 11:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,501
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from AdamHaddock
If anyone is tempted, McAtee is 33/1 to be national league top scorer

https://sports.williamhill.com.....65498/Top-Goalscorer

Vic have got him at 100s  

https://www.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/240/meetings/110375010/events/1532016000/market_group/3538

(and their e/w pays 4 places, instead of Hills' 3)

Taylor 40s at both.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
BrMarin
October 7, 2021, 8:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +100
Gold Stars: 8

[url][/https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8503861]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
Posh Harry
October 7, 2021, 8:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,338
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Apologies this could already have been mentioned but maybe the biggest surprise is the amount of goals we’ve scored without a recognised number 9.

But harsh. Surely Taylor is a recognised number 9? Even if he doesn’t wear the shirt I would say he’s a number 9 all day long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
Swansea_Mariner
October 7, 2021, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Posh Harry

But harsh. Surely Taylor is a recognised number 9? Even if he doesn’t wear the shirt I would say he’s a number 9 all day long.

He's definitely, undoubtedly a 9 in my eyes. Target man, who holds the ball up and brings others into play - check, or does a number 9 mean something else these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 7, 2021, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

He's definitely, undoubtedly a 9 in my eyes. Target man, who holds the ball up and brings others into play - check, or does a number 9 mean something else these days.

In the eyes of some, a number 9 must wear number 9.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 7, 2021, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,825
Gold Stars: 42
Re the earlier comments about John Wayne going to fight at the Alamo - or not.  When it was the Mexicans.

John Harry Clifton Wayne would have gone anywhere to fight the opposition.  He always gave 100% and was very versatile.  😉😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
pontoonlew
October 7, 2021, 8:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 167
To be honest I felt with Waterfalls experience at this level that he’d be a decent player, although not quite to the level he’s been. Taylor as well seemed like exactly the type of striker who thrives at this level.

I’ll go slightly out there and say Efete, I was really concerned with his reviews from other sides but he’s been very very good, so powerful going forward and seems very steady defensively. Saying that, Sears has been a very ready and able replacement, though not quite at his level going forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
Mariner_501
October 7, 2021, 9:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Crookes for me. Especially as I didn’t expect absolutely anything. Underwhelmed when he signed and then thought he would bench warm for Revan. One of our most consistent players and the most underrated in our team.

Could be about 10 of them though. All better than I expected.

Least surprising for me is Clifton. Thought he played really well in a shiit team so expected him to do well a level down in a better team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 7, 2021, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’ll rephrase “the much referenced striker” that we’ve been on the hunt for.

Personally I’m pretty happy with who we’ve got up front at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest surprise so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.