AussieMariner
October 6, 2021, 5:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Hurst is noticeably different and I have a theory.

Different people want to be motivated by different things. Someone famously said that managers are always 6 games say from the sack. With that outlook coming from above, it's only ever going to cause pragmatism because building something creates short term risks for long-term gains.

If you are always 6 games from the sack and trying to have a career in football management, you are only ever going to play percentage football realistically.

This philosophy is widespread in football but I recall hearing Stockwood talking a few times about Paul Hursts' targets being about more than 3 points on a Saturday. Knowing that things can be done without having to worry about the next 6 games must actually be quite empowering.

Look at Wrexham. Spent a fortune, playing awful football and not the manager is under huge pressure it seems.

Hurst has had the shackles taken off, we are playing the best football we've played in years and sat top of the table after 10 games. Amazing isn't it?

When did not having to worry about getting 3 points on a Saturday get you 3 points on a Saturday? 🤔

Oh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
denni266
October 6, 2021, 5:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
One thing that has suprised me is the way he sems to  be more at one with the fans , Hardley an interview without him mentioning how good the fans are.  Its not us and them anymore  but us
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Bristol Mariner
October 6, 2021, 6:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
And how much better are the players with us lot behind them. They are in this with us….

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
lukeo
October 6, 2021, 6:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Biggest suprise is the whole thing combined. The start we've had, the team we have, the togetherness between players and fans alike, the smile on my face every day when I'm thinking of my home town club.. The list goes on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Mayaman
October 6, 2021, 6:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Don't forget our Harry.  He's always hard versatility and work rate.  Now, with the lads around him,  his endeavours are not going wasted.  The surprise for me is team spirit.  The reaction when they score a goal is amazing.  It's like they've all put the ball in the back of the next, yet are made up for the lad who actually did.  Also we don't get our head down like we used to either after going behind.  

Maybe the Iron calling McAtee lazy has galvanised him.  More fool them.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
EvilFish
October 6, 2021, 6:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from RobDef1
This is gonna sound harsh, and I apologise for that... But McAtee is the biggest surprise for me. The only reason I say that is because of the warnings, which turned out to be sour grapes, from scummy fans that he came with. Also he was the only signing we made that Hurst felt the need to pre-empt with that short video. All the other signings spoke for themselves with their reputation. Far-fetched I know and definitely (wrongly) reading between the lines. Just absolutely ecstatic with his performances and passion for the shirt.  

I read that differently though. I saw Hurst really excited about signing a particular player in the way he hadn't been before. So I was expecting McAtee to be a great player for us. And then, the first time I saw him play I understood why Hurst was so excited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
Son of Cod
October 6, 2021, 6:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from denni266
One thing that has suprised me is the way he sems to  be more at one with the fans , Hardley an interview without him mentioning how good the fans are.  Its not us and them anymore  but us

The first time round was, with all due respect to Boston and Ilkeston, Hurst's first time at a club with a sizeable support. Trigger warning, I'm gonna use that word...the atmosphere around the club during that first stint here was at times toxic. Despite us taking massive followings on several occasions there were still so many instances of fans getting on his back and him digging us out in post-match interviews. He was well aware of the benefit of our support when things were going well but I don't think he quite appreciated us, something that you could previously say about a vast amount of our supporters feelings regarding him too. I think he's had time to reflect on how good our support is, something which has perhaps been highlighted during the jobs he took after he left us. Being back now with the bumper crowds both home and away for our level and with the positive forward motion at the club now, will be much closer to what he wanted in his first spell with us. It's been commented several times how relaxed and at ease he seems nowadays. It's something we rarely ever saw. I can't remember if I've said this on another thread or not but it used to be a bit creepy when he smiled and joked as it was so out of the ordinary but now I'm fully used to it and long may it continue.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
SouthLakesMariner
October 6, 2021, 6:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +934
Gold Stars: 21
That third goal last night (haven’t stopped thinking about it all day) epitomises what Paul Hurst has assembled, a team of talented footballers that play as a real team, the team spirit shines through. Every great team needs leaders and we have a few.

Luke Waterfall’s renaissance has been important in that, but John McAtee is something else. He’s got attitude, a swagger and his influence is almost Cantonesque.

So the biggest surprise for me is that GTFC has a player like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2021, 6:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mayaman
Don't forget our Harry.  He's always hard versatility and work rate.  Now, with the lads around him,  his endeavours are not going wasted.  The surprise for me is team spirit.  The reaction when they score a goal is amazing.  It's like they've all put the ball in the back of the next, yet are made up for the lad who actually did.  Also we don't get our head down like we used to either after going behind.  

Maybe the Iron calling McAtee lazy has galvanised him.  More fool them.

UTM!

I see what you did there 😁

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Barrattstander
October 6, 2021, 6:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Whats the best site to get an up to date list of our goalscorers?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/league-table

Click on the Town badge for club stats. Scorers are on the 'more' tab.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest surprise so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.