October 5, 2021, 10:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
I see that our rivals up the road have started to see attendances fall

Still very decent, but by no means all of the excitement around Sincil Bank as there was.

They were 9,000 plus and pushing over 10,000.

But now they’ve become a bit mediocre in L1 I’ve noticed that they’ve dropped mostly into the 8000+ range

Long may the downward spiral continue

Still higher than when The Leech had any input or control of the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
KingstonMariner
October 5, 2021, 10:40am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Amazing 2 years ago most people on here were calling Lincoln enjoying when they lost saying they hope they fail and come straight back down again. But because a ttread is started by an unpopular poster with similar sentiments its red crosses galore and oh no we dont want them to come back down the leagues  (to their rightful level as many would say). It really is a p1ssar this forum at times.

You do realise this is a forum with several different people posting. People with different views. It’s not like we’re the Borg.

Some people wished Lincoln would fail. Others didn’t. Some might not have really meant it or changed their views.

A few people saying they wished Lincoln to fail is not ‘most’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
NorfolkImp
October 5, 2021, 10:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -497
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Good! GIMPS bubble has burst!

Maybe one step backwards this season, to take two forward next term?

The side has been absolutely ravaged with injuries in the early part of the season (we have 9 players out at present) but when you're up against squads with huge investment relatively speaking (Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan etc) most Imps fans will be happy with 20th position and a Cup run.

Its also a very young squad (bar Maguire & Bridcutt) that will continue to develop under Appleton's tenure. The re-development of the Stacey-West Stand taking the capacity to 12k will also keep momentum going in a positive direction.  

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
fishboyUTM
October 5, 2021, 10:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Good luck to them. Impressive attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
jamesgtfc
October 5, 2021, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from NorfolkImp

The side has been absolutely ravaged with injuries in the early part of the season (we have 9 players out at present) but when you're up against squads with huge investment relatively speaking (Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan etc) most Imps fans will be happy with 20th position and a Cup run.

Its also a very young squad (bar Maguire & Bridcutt) that will continue to develop under Appleton's tenure. The re-development of the Stacey-West Stand taking the capacity to 12k will also keep momentum going in a positive direction.  

Is that why attendances are 8K? Have you had to reduce capacity for the building work?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Gainsbro_Mariner
October 5, 2021, 12:41pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
8,000 is still decent.

Lincoln are a 2k to 5k team historically, they've had a huge upturn in interest over the past few years.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
diehardmariner
October 5, 2021, 1:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I have absolutely no ill feeling towards Lincoln.  I've said before, in my 30+ years supporting Town I've only really seen them as a rival for one season (05/06 when we were both promotion hunting).  The years that followed in League Two it was a faux rivalry and then even the 3 or 4 years in the Conference was more of adding a little needle to local fixtures than anything else.  It has been rare we've battled for the same goals.

I do think that this could be a tricky time for Lincoln though.  The quite frankly incredible increase in the number of Lincoln fans is impressive but based largely (from the outside looking in anyway) on winning most weeks and playing bigger teams.  From struggling to get 2500 a few years back, they've added 7000 fans based on continued success.  It started with the Cowley's first season which brought promotion and a huge cup run.  Since then they've gone from strength to strength, to the point where they were very close to reaching the Championship.    

That's 7000 fans that probably never really gave Lincoln City a second thought until 6 years ago and have only known success.  A lower mid-table finish this season, or even a relegation scrap, will be interesting to see what impact that has on season ticket sales next year.

Yes, I do appreciate the near irony when we're riding the crest of our own wave at the minute with increased gates.  Fully aware that our bubble could burst at any point too.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Bristol Mariner
October 5, 2021, 2:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
I see that our rivals up the road have started to see attendances fall

Still very decent, but by no means all of the excitement around Sincil Bank as there was.

They were 9,000 plus and pushing over 10,000.

But now they’ve become a bit mediocre in L1 I’ve noticed that they’ve dropped mostly into the 8000+ range

Long may the downward spiral continue

Like a bad smell, why not come on here and praise the board/players/etc

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 5, 2021, 2:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,606
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Accept that you have had injuries, most notably Bridcutt, that have affected you but much of the success achieved last season was reflective of the quality of your loan signings particularly Johnson and Rogers plus the sale of Grant. Personally I am not a big fan of clubs being allowed up to 7 loan players per season as it gives teams and fans a totally unrealistic picture of where their team are “at” and the level of achievement. Not solely picking on Lincoln here as all clubs can do it and we certainly had two cracking players in Benson and Glennon two years ago and similarly this year with Hunt and Towler.

A restriction of 4 loan players would I believe be a better option but this is unlikely to happen in a period where Premiership clubs have large numbers, Chelsea and Man City 30 players, out on loan plus their academy sides and this prevents more movement between clubs and probably discourages younger players from moving down a tier or two to play permanently for a lower league club.

Think your bubble is far from bursting, certainly in terms of attendances, but it may be some mid league mediocrity for a while but given your starting point when the Cowleys arrived think most fans will be happy with that.

Just praying we can enjoy a similar improvement in our achievements in the next few seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Imps Attendances Falling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.