10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerDevil
October 4, 2021, 4:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Apologies if I've missed it, but hasn't Swann cleared their debt in exchange for the stadium?  So there's no imminent financial threat, other than Swann cutting and running?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 90
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
October 4, 2021, 4:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
I care as much for their plight as their fans would care for ours in a similar situation. Having had the misfortune of living there I know how much they HATE us. It’s all they’ve got, their pathological resentment of the ‘cod heads’.  Fucck em.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 90
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2021, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Apologies if I've missed it, but hasn't Swann cleared their debt in exchange for the stadium?  So there's no imminent financial threat, other than Swann cutting and running?  

In other words, the club is worth jack excrement.

His shareholding is £8 million.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 90
Poojah
October 4, 2021, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from MarinerDevil

They have zero assets and are spiralling down the leagues whilst remaining loss making. Swann’s response to that is to tighten the purse strings further, spiral some more and repeat the process again as crowd numbers and other incomes continue to dwindle - they are already getting lower crowds than the likes of Sutton United and less than half of what Town are currently pulling in with virtually no away followings at BP.

So Swann owns the ground and training facilities, and wants £8m+ in order to part company with those assets and the club itself. No one with the football club in mind is going to pay anything like that figure.

So Swann has a bit of a problem on his hands - he has assets that he values at north of £8m that are worth nothing like that in their current form, and by his own admission businesses in the hospitality industry which have been ‘battered’ by Covid. It’s been well publicised that the land Glanford Park sits on is quite valuable due to the surrounding retail environment that has built up around it. Probably less valuable now given the challenges bricks and mortar retail are having, but that chunk of land is worth significantly more as a prospective cinema (for example) than as the stadium of a struggling, skint football club.

Swann has no real connections with the football club or the town of Scunthorpe. He isn’t a fan of the club.

What he ultimately does will probably come down to a question of what he cares more about: Scunthorpe United or his £8m. If I were a Scunny fan, I would find that a deeply uncomfortable place to be.

My prediction: if they get relegated this season (and there’s a good chance they will), things will unravel very, very quickly.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 90
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2021, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Poojah

They have zero assets and are spiralling down the leagues whilst remaining loss making. Swann’s response to that is to tighten the purse strings further, spiral some more and repeat the process again as crowd numbers and other incomes continue to dwindle - they are already getting lower crowds than the likes of Sutton United and less than half of what Town are currently pulling in with virtually no away followings at BP.

So Swann owns the ground and training facilities, and wants £8m+ in order to part company with those assets and the club itself. No one with the football club in mind is going to pay anything like that figure.

So Swann has a bit of a problem on his hands - he has assets that he values at north of £8m that are worth nothing like that in their current form, and by his own admission businesses in the hospitality industry which have been ‘battered’ by Covid. It’s been well publicised that the land Glanford Park sits on is quite valuable due to the surrounding retail environment that has built up around it. Probably less valuable now given the challenges bricks and mortar retail are having, but that chunk of land is worth significantly more as a prospective cinema (for example) than as the stadium of a struggling, skint football club.

Swann has no real connections with the football club or the town of Scunthorpe. He isn’t a fan of the club.

What he ultimately does will probably come down to a question of what he cares more about: Scunthorpe United or his £8m. If I were a Scunny fan, I would find that a deeply uncomfortable place to be.

My prediction: if they get relegated this season (and there’s a good chance they will), things will unravel very, very quickly.

Exactly this. The Swanns invest heavily in horses and I'm pretty sure the family prefer the glory of Ascot & York to away days at Oldham and Newport. With a seemingly dwindling fanbase and a reluctant to invest owner, not to mention a clueless manager, things aren't looking great.

I don't expect him to admit but I suspect, despite his protestation to the contrary, he would rather be in our shoes at present. Sell out attendances, home and away, onfield success, positive cash vs budget, what's not to like?
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 90
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2021, 5:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
I listened to the bit where they referenced our attendances, he dodged that one didn’t he with a dig about non league, based on this season to date he better get the sat nav pre loaded for some of the places we’ll get to this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 90
MarinerDevil
October 4, 2021, 5:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Didn't know he owned the training ground as well.  Very worrying for them.  So realistically, they get bought out by someone with way more money than sense, or Swann gives up after a relegation to non-league, sells the assets and runs.  Best case scenario: they're ground sharing and relying on fans to prop up the club.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 90
Northbank Mariner
October 4, 2021, 5:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
After all the cr@p we've taken off them in recent years I have little to no sympathy.
Let's not forget all the gloating from their fanbase as they rose up the league's whilst we fell down like a pack of cards being blown over by a fish merchants farts...
Karma is a wonderful thing, what goes around comes around.
While Swann was bankrolling them they couldn't wait to jeer and take the p!ss out of our demise, well I truly hope Swanns reluctance to put anymore money in bites them squarely on the backside!..
Do I feel for their fans, not one iota!...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 90
blundellpork
October 4, 2021, 6:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Scunny fans seem to hate us, but I’m not particularly bothered about their club. I would prefer that they survive, and the natural order is restored once more, but after the sheer hatred and gloating they showed to us in 2010, my sympathies have definitely reduced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 90
It Bites
October 4, 2021, 6:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,182
Gold Stars: 259
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Didn't know he owned the training ground as well.  b.  

Have you seen the training ground ? It's a little grass field in between the ground and the motorway .
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our ‘friends’ up the 180

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.