Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best football since King Alan??
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 354 Guests

Best football since King Alan??

This thread currently has 5,223 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
coddy60
October 2, 2021, 6:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
I dont know, but, wow, some of the stuff we play is absolutely superb.

I do understand this was against Dover, bottom of the league and apparently struggling.

But their last 3 games indicated they are a decent team, lacking a goal threat.

Ryan Taylor was a beast today, ran the show, Mcatee has all the skills, and, contrary to most opinions of him pre this season, Waterfall is immense.

But, a deserved MOM has to go to Bapaga, terrified them at pace today, 2 pens won and a goal scored. Hope this gives him the confidence to improve, at a rate of knots, so we have a proper dual threat from the wings.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
BeijingMariner
October 2, 2021, 7:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from coddy60
I dont know, but, wow, some of the stuff we play is absolutely superb.

I do understand this was against Dover, bottom of the league and apparently struggling.

But their last 3 games indicated they are a decent team, lacking a goal threat.

Ryan Taylor was a beast today, ran the show, Mcatee has all the skills, and, contrary to most opinions of him pre this season, Waterfall is immense.

But, a deserved MOM has to go to Bapaga, terrified them at pace today, 2 pens won and a goal scored. Hope this gives him the confidence to improve, at a rate of knots, so we have a proper dual threat from the wings.
UTM

I am calling on the giver of the red cross to come out (!) and say why. Nonsense.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2021, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from BeijingMariner

I am calling on the giver of the red cross to come out (!) and say why. Nonsense.

I gave a red cross. No way was Bapaga MoM, lost possession on multiple occasions. He’s improving, yes, but MoM ahead of Taylor, Waterfall, Towler, McAtee or Hunt?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
October 2, 2021, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I gave a red cross. No way was Bapaga MoM, lost possession on multiple occasions. He’s improving, yes, but MoM ahead of Taylor, Waterfall, Towler, McAtee or Hunt?

I think the sponsors gave it to Bapaga, but Taylor for me who I thought was absolutely brilliant. Mind you, they all were with a special mention to Sears who slotted in at right-back very well.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
ginnywings
October 2, 2021, 7:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Towler was different gravy as my nephew keeps saying. Taylor and McAtee were great as a pair and Hunt also showed lots of class. Fox was really good too.

Bapaga was what he is- a young player learning his trade. Wasn't MOM for me, but he made some telling contributions, especially at the business end of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
BeijingMariner
October 2, 2021, 7:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

Towler was different gravy as my nephew keeps saying. Taylor and McAtee were great as a pair and Hunt also showed lots of class. Fox was really good too.

Bapaga was what he is- a young player learning his trade. Wasn't MOM for me, but he made some telling contributions, especially at the business end of the pitch.

"the business end of the pitch" indeed. It occurred to me quite a few times this match (and others, actually) that McAttee is the highest positioned defender in the league.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
acko338
October 2, 2021, 7:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
But he is improving, which will make him a bigger threat as the season progresses.

Only 19?, isn't he ? More game time, and concentration in training with what he is being told will pay dividends !

A rough diamond for Hurst and Doig to make more polished !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
coddy60
October 2, 2021, 7:25pm

Table Wine Drinker

I think the sponsors gave it to Bapaga, but Taylor for me who I thought was absolutely brilliant. Mind you, they all were with a special mention to Sears who slotted in at right-back very well.

I absolutely influenced the sponsors to give it to Bapaga, could have give it to 3 or 4 others, but, for the squads sake for the season we need that boy flying, and hes looked a bit shy so far....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
fishcake63
October 2, 2021, 7:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Could have gone to a few but for me taylors been unplayable today, mcatee waterfall towler hunt also excellant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
friskneymariner
October 2, 2021, 7:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Not just about the individual skills of Taylor and McAtee but the understanding they have developed of each others positions

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
friskneymariner

Champagne Drinker
Not just about the individual skills of Taylor and McAtee but the understanding they have developed of each others positions

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
friskneymariner

Champagne Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
friskneymariner

Champagne Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
friskneymariner

Champagne Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
coddy60
October 2, 2021, 8:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
What's that you say Friskney....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
WesternMariner
October 2, 2021, 8:04pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from friskneymariner

If it’s worth saying once……

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
headingly_mariner
October 2, 2021, 8:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quite a few could have got it today. All those mentioned and add Fox who was good. Clifton and Crookes were also excellent down the left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
jamesgtfc
October 2, 2021, 8:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I thought we would struggle today without Sousa but Bapaga grew into the game and looked a lot more confident.

At the beginning of the game Bapaga looked to get out-muscled but then he started using his body well. For me, Taylor was my man of the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Numanoid
October 2, 2021, 8:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
Lets face it good players working as a TEAM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Brazilnut
October 2, 2021, 8:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Took 2 Leeds fans today (workmates) and they both said Taylor was star player

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
GrimRob
October 2, 2021, 8:53pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The best thing is this side is newly assembled. Buckley had the luxury of working in an era when he only needed to change a few players a season, imagine what this group could achieve if they stuck together for 2-3 years and occasional new members were introduced. It's a very long time since BP has been rocking like it is now though.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 28
Hagrid
October 2, 2021, 9:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 508
Taylor for me

Excited to see what Scannell can bring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
acko338
October 2, 2021, 10:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
More happy with the word - team. And even more - SQUAD !

To make a raw new bunch of players with very limited funds, add in a few well researched loanees, have the pitch, training facilities and some back room staff improved.......and look what has happened !!

Add in the fans returning en mass, both home and away, and why do we need to pick out individual players.. ???

We still need the squad backing up as we will no doubt have injuries and suspensions along the way.

Bapaga showing new signs of getting into the way the team plays, and Sears being solid in his debut.

Others will have to step up and may earn that MOM in the future. They are still part of the team, so do we need to push one particular player when it takes all of them to achieve team spirit en mass, as seen in goal celebrations and applauding the loyal fans home and away ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2021, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,635
Gold Stars: 217
I can't remember us playing such attacking football for a long while, even when we where promoted in 2016 the squad had excellent unity and work ethic goals from Podge and Bogle and players like Nolan and Nathan comfortable on the ball but I can't remember that side passing the ball as we've seen this group do.      

Long may it continue, if the majority of the players stay fit I suspect it will.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
RonMariner
October 2, 2021, 11:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Hagrid
Taylor for me

Excited to see what Scannell can bring

Indeed, and Grant too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
Maringer
October 3, 2021, 12:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Taylor is the best 'target man' I've seen us have for many a year. Great touch, good positioning and has the knack of winning the ball (or at least influencing where it goes) when you don't think he's really got a chance. The fact that he's also sticking the ball into the net is a bonus.

Other key players include Towler, whose positioning has been so good that he's barely seen stretching into a challenge and Crookes who doesn't look particularly nimble but wins most of the ball and rarely wastes a pass. Fox was very strong in the middle today and can play a bit as well. Sears stepped in and did well.

Bapaga is making things happen and had an effective game today but seem to me a little hit and miss in the way things go for him. Great anticipation for the first penalty so credit there, second looked a little soft and he took his goal well. I still think there is more to come from him as he seems to be pretty slow to get moving when he first receives possession but can't complain when he helped us to such a resounding victory today.

Fantastic run from Sousa not long after he came on, but I just can't imagine why he took his shot so early? He'd skinned the opposition defence so should have kept going and would have had the chance to pick his spot against the keeper, if he had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
friskneymariner
December 24, 2021, 9:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

Posted 2 nd October.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
male private Nale
December 26, 2021, 9:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -806
Gold Stars: 131
That thread has aged well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
LondonMariner43
December 30, 2021, 11:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Where did it all go wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best football since King Alan??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.