2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
September 30, 2021, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,471
Gold Stars: 1,500
Found myself glancing at the League One table earlier, and noticed a number of pretty ‘unfashionable’ teams amongst the top 16, in this order from 5 down:

Rotherham
Wycombe
Burton
Morecambe
Accrington
Wimbledon
Cambridge
Cheltenham

These clubs currently sit comfortably above much bigger clubs like Ipswich and Charlton, and with the exception of Rotherham (with their new stadium, and who have already hosted Wednesday and Donny), all have lower average crowds than Town so far this season. Realistically, only Wrexham have brought anything resembling an away following to BP thus far.

With it again looking as though we’re pushing towards another home sell out crowd, even after a couple of disappointing results, I just thought it was a mildly interesting reminder of this club’s potential.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
September 30, 2021, 10:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Underlining how low we have sunk … it’s heartbreaking how this proud old club as been treated in the last few years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
lew chaterleys lover
September 30, 2021, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah
Found myself glancing at the League One table earlier, and noticed a number of pretty ‘unfashionable’ teams amongst the top 16, in this order from 5 down:

Rotherham
Wycombe
Burton
Morecambe
Accrington
Wimbledon
Cambridge
Cheltenham

These clubs currently sit comfortably above much bigger clubs like Ipswich and Charlton, and with the exception of Rotherham (with their new stadium, and who have already hosted Wednesday and Donny), all have lower average crowds than Town so far this season. Realistically, only Wrexham have brought anything resembling an away following to BP thus far.

With it again looking as though we’re pushing towards another home sell out crowd, even after a couple of disappointing results, I just thought it was a mildly interesting reminder of this club’s potential.

For nearly two decades our reputation has been trashed. The realities of our low league or non-league position seemed to blind too many fans of our real potential.

History alone tells you we are much, much better than this, but 18 years in the wilderness is long enough for people to come to the fair conclusion that we have had it, nobody will want to come here, we are stuck out on the east coast, we will never be like (insert name of club) and those fans unlucky enough to see only dross whilst growing up will think it will always be like this - among the bottom feeders.

Football is normally cyclical, but when you have an owner as ill-equipped as the previous one then the trough usually lasts a lot longer, but 18 years is taking the mickey.

Even after all these terrible years, our all-time league standing is pretty reasonable, the last time I looked it was about the top half of league 1, but I think about 15 years ago it was in the Championship if I recall.

An awful lot of clubs would die for potential like ours; the next few years could be fantastic if we can continue to make progress and I have always said with you know who gone we would be re-born, but I did not expect such enthusiasm or really good attendances this early in the journey so credit to everyone for that.

It is difficult to say what our potential is as it depends on either a new stadium or a properly redeveloped BP but the population of NE Lincs could easily sustain a much higher place in the pyramid.

It is such a shame we had to start this journey from non-league, and it took some accepting but I hope it will make our progress all the sweeter, but this first step of getting back into the league is probably going to be the hardest but already it looks like we have a decent chance.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
buckstown
September 30, 2021, 11:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
I think you'll find we're very lucky to be where we are, we could be Macclesfield or Bury. And a very wise man said quite recently this is the best run club he's ever worked at
Unless of course he was a deluded mental case?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
TownSNAFU5
September 30, 2021, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I saw that Morecambe deservedly beat Lincoln this week. (That was from a Lincoln viewpoint).  
Morecambe have the top scorer this season to date.  Cole Stockton.  Who is unplayable at times.

This demonstrates what can be achieved with limited resources.   And what we can do with everyone pulling together.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
TownSNAFU5
September 30, 2021, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
.......,Also there is the win by Sheriff at Real Madrid in the CL.   Teams can thrive against bigger teams with more resources.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2021, 12:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
We’ve always had potential and in the 80’s and 90’s we fulfilled that when we where in what was effectively the 2nd Division, unbelievable really especially the 2nd stint under Buckley where the game was starting to be dominated by TV and finance.

As posted above football and in general professional sport works in cycles so under the new ownership and with the plan that’s beginning to be formed we can rightly have a mix of optimism and personally a bit of confidence.

Breaking the cycle will need a number of things to align which I think from a GTFC point of view they will. For me the biggest blocker is getting out of the National league as the 2 up 2 down system inhibits aspiration and ambition.

That’s the initial challenge, a considerable challenge that has been left to the current leadership by a narcissist with some money and a small band of sycophants  who’s string of cheap option managers was topped by engaging an even bigger narcissist who either lost touch with lower league football or probably never knew anything about it.

The history is there for all to see but it is indeed history and can’t be changed. As supporters though my belief is that we have a role to play and that role is to “support” the players and club even if things get tough or indeed if something is put in place that we may not completely agree with whether that’s a 60 minute substitute or the beer served in the bar.

My observation is that when clubs get promoted or have success it’s because they have a decent team that’s well supported on and off the pitch, seems to me “where on our way”......

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
ginnywings
September 30, 2021, 12:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
If only we hadn't had to start from this illegitimate of a league. Thanks John.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 30, 2021, 1:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,260
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
.......,Also there is the win by Sheriff at Real Madrid in the CL.   Teams can thrive against bigger teams with more resources.

Ha Ha, I've just got off a call with Spain. 3 guys in Barcelona and 1 in Madrid.

Suicidal.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
TownSNAFU5
September 30, 2021, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Even close to home we have so called smaller clubs who can go higher up the table than bigger clubs.

Woking, Bromley and Altrincham all have games in hand and can all go above Notts County, Wrexham and Stockport. Altrincham can even go above us on points.  

Bromley and Altrincham are already above Wrexham with 3 games in hand between them.  

An interesting season ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
jamesgtfc
October 1, 2021, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,953
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Rotherham
Wycombe
Burton
Morecambe
Accrington
Wimbledon
Cambridge
Cheltenham

We can always rely on our Poojah for some great insight and motivation.

I suspect the analysis isn't so great a level higher. I certainly think our aim should be to become an established League One side again, with the occasional Championship season or 2 thrown in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League One

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.