Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 276 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,954 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2021, 10:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
On the train to Blackfriars. Good night for the Daggers I reckon.

I thought we got into the pace of the game well in the first half and clearly looked happy to play on what is a zippy surface. Soussa and Effete looked like a real handful on the right and Fox, Coke and Clifton well set up across the middle. We finished what was a pretty even first half well and was rewarded with the lead at half time.

For me the turning point was when Soussa went off they saw an opportunity as he’d probably been our best player. The heavens opened and the ball moved even quicker which as you’d imagine the home side took full advantage of.

We plugged away but in reality the sending off was the nail in the coffin. They scored 3 goals from 3 decent strikes, should they have been given a sight or should Macca have done better, not sure it’s not worth over analysing. We did some really good things in the game and what appeared to be some sloppy ones when behind.

Anyway if you’d have offered me 3rd at the end of September I’d have took it and just to underline what a rollercoaster of a league this will be I see Chesterfield ended on the same reverse as Town.

Bromley seemed a friendly club but their players and bench’s reaction to their goals was completely classless IMHO, the ref who was weak all game failed to deal with that.

Bad night at the office? Yes but not the first and no doubt not the last but I’m convinced we’ll be contenders in some way shape or form.

Support needs massive credit in those conditions, immense again.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
barralad
September 28, 2021, 10:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
P*ss wet through. Never, ever watched football with Town in those conditions.
We were comfortable in the first half and missed a couple of decent chances before Mcatee's scrambled effort. Within a minute Bapaba (spelling) missed a good one on one.
Second half coincided with the biblical flood and Town just couldnt cope with the zipping ball off a wet surface.
They did a number on Souza who frightened them to death. The lad who did him should have walked. Their three goals looked pretty identical...cut in and shot. The equaliser took a bit of a deflection, the second was a Macca member-up messing about at the back and the third was unstoppable.
None of what went on excuses Efetes lack of self control. Surely will get a three match ban. He'll be missed.
Their players celebrated in front of an increasingly wet and angry away following an event which will surely find its way into the referees report.
No-one really stood out for Town although Clifton's performances are showing real consistency and as already said they couldn't handle Souza at all.
We had to lose sometime. This was always going to be difficult.
We go again Saturday.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2021, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad
P*ss wet through. Never, ever watched football with Town in those conditions.
We were comfortable in the first half and missed a couple of decent chances before Mcatee's scrambled effort. Within a minute Bapaba (spelling) missed a good one on one.
Second half coincided with the biblical flood and Town just couldnt cope with the zipping ball off a wet surface.
They did a number on Souza who frightened them to death. The lad who did him should have walked. Their three goals looked pretty identical...cut in and shot. The equaliser took a bit of a deflection, the second was a Macca member-up messing about at the back and the third was unstoppable.
None of what went on excuses Efetes lack of self control. Surely will get a three match ban. He'll be missed.
Their players celebrated in front of an increasingly wet and angry away following an event which will surely find its way into the referees report.
No-one really stood out for Town although Clifton's performances are showing real consistency and as already said they couldn't handle Souza at all.
We had to lose sometime. This was always going to be difficult.
We go again Saturday.

Ha ha ha...... it’s your turn to merge with mine I reckon Ian 😉

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 68
barralad
September 28, 2021, 10:24pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Dunno how to mate!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2021, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Dunno how to mate!

I’ll do it, if I delete mine and C&P it that works.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 68
promotion plaice
September 28, 2021, 10:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Done  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2021, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Done  

In super quick time 🙌🙌🙌

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 68
Hagrid
September 28, 2021, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,377
Gold Stars: 532
Seems to be a lot of anger towards the conduct of the Bromley players and bench. Hurst didnt sound impressed on Humberside
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 68
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2021, 10:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bromley we’re all big fornicators but half decent skill wise. They didn’t half squeal when tackled though.
Wind and driving rain against us second half. Their first was lucky. Maybe offside for 2 and 3. Can’t fault the effort from Town.

The ref was pïss weak. Agree with comments above about provocative goal celebrations. People shouldn’t respond as badly but it was totally uncalled for by the Bromley players. Unless the Shît Justin Bieber is their after match plaything.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 68
barralad
September 28, 2021, 10:29pm
Mariners Trust
To top off a spiffing night we are now stuck in a huge petrol queue cos the stupid Southern twonks are blocking the road

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 68
barralad
September 28, 2021, 10:30pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bromley we’re all big fornicators but half decent skill wise. They didn’t half squeal when tackled though.
Wind and driving rain against us second half. Their first was lucky. Maybe offside for 2 and 3. Can’t fault the effort from Town.

The ref was pïss weak. Agree with comments above about provocative goal celebrations. People shouldn’t respond as badly but it was totally uncalled for by the Bromley players. Unless the Shît Justin Bieber is their after match plaything.

Amusing song!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2021, 10:30pm
Meths Drinker
Oh and I thought the Old Bill and stewards were friendly and welcoming. Must be drafted in from Kent Police rather than the Met 😉.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
Davec
September 28, 2021, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
That is the wettest I have ever got, I actually thought I was about to drown, cba to write a match report apart from the rain helped them on their plastic pitch. And the Bromley coaching staff and players were a disgrace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2021, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I’m not sure it helped when their manager got up and gave it the big un to the Town support.

Bromley could soon become our National Lesgue Stevenage after tonight.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2021, 10:54pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not sure it helped when their manager got up and gave it the big un to the Town support.

Bromley could soon become our National Lesgue Stevenage after tonight.

Bizarre behaviour. It’s not like they’re gonna get any advantage winding fans up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
Son of Cod
September 28, 2021, 11:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
I can take being piss wet through and freezing. I can take us losing the match and our unbeaten start. I can take the Bromley fans stepping out from their two rows of shelter to give it the big 'un when they've taken the lead...in fact enjoy it lads, I'd be doing the same. I can take the lino having a comically bad match and missing their second being well offside. I can take the fact that the elements and the pitch played a factor. But what has really rubbed me up the wrong way is the Bromley players scoring all three of their goals in front of their own fans and choosing to not celebrate with them but to rush over to us and goad us. What the fuck was that all about?! I'd get it if we were giving them loads of shit, but we really weren't. Completely unnecessary incitement. I didn't notice their bench really, what were they doing?

In terms of the match/result, that's just one that needs to be written off as those conditions were absolutely horrific. The last two matches have definitely indicated that the honeymoon period of this squad is over, time for them to show a bit of mettle and bounce back now.

Also, it's a relatively easy away day for a lot of Southern based Town fans but massive props to anyone that was there tonight who made it down from GY and surrounding areas. Hope you all get back safely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
Yossarian
September 29, 2021, 12:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Yup.   Big applause for all those who made it from grimsby.  It was crap enough getting back to greenwich tonight so ultra crap going back to GY.

Bromley really is a shitehole...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
buckstown
September 29, 2021, 12:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
Well that was bizarre, I've never been so wet at a football match. Just into the second half it was like a wall of water coming towards the town fans and genuinely felt like someone had turned a hose on us. Went from slightly moist to totally soaked in seconds!
First half thought we were the better team but it was clear from the off that Bromley were a cut above Maidenhead. Not sure how Mcatee's shot crept in but Bapaga should have scored a second two minutes later
First and third were excellent strikes from them and Efete was asking to be sent off. Thought we played ok with ten men but never really looked like scoring. Why on earth they chose to celebrate in front of us is one of life's great mysteries, especially as most of their fans were closer.
You find out a lot about a team after a defeat like that so a good chance to bounce back on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
forza ivano
September 29, 2021, 12:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,149
Gold Stars: 265
most things went against us - there was naff all wind in the first half,but second half they had advantage of a hoolie backed by a downpour of biblical proprortions

we played some good stuff in the first half, but not convinced the false 9 was a success - didn't give anything for the outstanding sousa to aim at.
mcatee was again frustrating with a series of misplaced passes ,but a couple of excellent shots and a goal.
Waterfall and Towler were very good again, although for some reason we suddenly decided to start playing out from the back Holloway style - which as usual ended in disaster, but why Waterfall suddenly went back to the bad old days is beyond me.Surely he learnt his lesson last season.
I thought Crookes was very good as Fox.
Not convinced by Bapaga who seems weak and offers too little in comparison to what I've seen from Wright and Sousa
Their subs certainly helped change the game , as did the Sousa injury
quite what we had done to wind them up i don't know but they were totally out of order and the ref who was as week as a can of Budweiser didn't help matters
for the second game on the trot i thought we missed that extra option up front.Felt like we have got away with it so far, but we now need to get someone in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
Caesar
September 29, 2021, 1:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Oh the need to be clinical. First half I thought we were decent and had a couple of chances. After the goal we had a golden chance to make it 2 (Bapaga?). Think we take that chance and we are likely taking home 3 points.

Alas we didn't and we reacted very poorly to their equaliser and eventually rolled over. No complaints in the end about the result or the red card.

Still confused by their players obsession with celebrating right in front of Town fans. And why one weapon came from the subs bench at the final whistle as we were applauding Town players to shout and taunt. Have they just never had a crowd before? I may of missed it but we didn't even give them any stick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
lukeo
September 29, 2021, 3:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
1. Massive respect and well done to all the town fans that went last night
2. Its a Breathe of fresh air reading your comments on the game that don't moan and slag people off after a lose.

We go again Saturday 👊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
fishcake63
September 29, 2021, 6:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
Very poor from their bench & players absolutly no need to come over to us after each goal these are the things that cause chaos at games , but there helmet manager does set a great example so what do we expect , hope town players got bromley at home written in there diaries , classless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
marinerdazza
September 29, 2021, 7:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,847
Gold Stars: 82
Apologies if this has been pointed out but their manager was in goal for a certain play off final in 1998….

A long time to hold a grudge.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
tashee69
September 29, 2021, 8:17am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23
Think their players celebrated in front of the town fans after it appeared that McAtee celebrated in front of theirs.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2021, 8:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from tashee69
Think their players celebrated in front of the town fans after it appeared that McAtee celebrated in front of theirs.

Doesn’t explain their bench’s behaviour. Then again dogs look like their owners and teams look like their managers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 29, 2021, 9:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,248
Gold Stars: 295
I listened on the radio. Not a word said about manager or player reactions and where they celebrated their goals.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
Hagrid
September 29, 2021, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,377
Gold Stars: 532
I listened on the radio. Not a word said about manager or player reactions and where they celebrated their goals.

yeah well the bloke last night couldnt even say McKeown's name could he!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
Yossarian
September 29, 2021, 9:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Digesting the game this morning (after drying out) I thought Town looked good in 1st half but allowed themselves to be bullied in the 2nd half.

I thought Bromley were very poor 1st half - long aimless balls, 2nd ball kind of approach.  2nd half Town lost their cool and were closed down much more.

3 excellent finishes to be fair from Bromley - the 3rd was an excellent finish.

As Hurst says, this should be a learning experience - there are traps aplenty waiting in this League.

Took a couple of friends to the game - they said "bloody hell, all these fans from Grimsby".  Amazing away support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
gobby
September 29, 2021, 9:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
The weather beat us along with a side that knew how to play on a plastic pitch in those conditions and 2 good strikes,  and a knobbling of our best player on the pitch in the 1st half, 2nd goal was offside as we all could see but the Lino in front of us couldn’t! Excellent turnout, unsure what the bald headed steward did or said but was a little saddened to see some Town fan’s reaction to this. Soaked and Sad but we go again Saturday with lessons learnt hopefully.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 68
Mariner Ronnie
September 29, 2021, 9:41am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
To be honest I thought it was a good laugh last night, their gaffer was enjoying the abuse, for me what ruined it was the complete pillock pretty boy off their bench at the end giving it the big un to our fans and walking away, hurst had a word.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
darren9
September 29, 2021, 9:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from tashee69

Their fans are saying on Twitter that McAtee cupped his ears at some sort of youth team when he scored his goal.

Now, I was initially thinking that it was a massive over-reaction but then I remembered how angry some of our fans got when Hurst cupped his ear so it must be a fairly upsetting thing to happen to you.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
Bigdog
September 29, 2021, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
In those conditions second half, a loss can be taken on the chin, but losing Efete for three games and maybe Sousa for a few too, last night ended up being a bit of a disaster.

Thought we played really well first half, defence composed, full backs solid and getting forward, midfield winning most second balls and moving the ball around well, and the front three looking a handful every time they got the ball. Sousa and Bapaga in particular could beat their full back for fun. Hurst had set the team up well for the game, the pitch and the opposition. We had one hooked off the line, several half chances and the lightweight but excellent Bapaga should have put us two up after McAtee scored. I don't think 2-0 would have flattered us too much at half time.

You could tell at half time the Bromley team had been instructed to be far more physical and they were. Again second half, first ten minutes we were in control, much more than at Maidenhead, then came the biblical wind and rain and the horrific challenge on Sousa. VAR and in the Premier League, or just having a decent ref, Bromley would have been down to ten men. Thought Hurst might have brought Revan on in a like for like substitution, to keep the balance of the team the same, but opted for Taylor and moved McAtee wide on the right. Maybe more to do with the conditions, but we never looked the same again. After that, everything went for Bromley, not fair to pick the bones out of it. What I would say though is the tackle on Efete was as equally horrendous as the one on Sousa. No excuse for him sticking the nut in, but the weak as urine ref didn't even give a free kick.

Some really good performances out there for the first hour, but as the season goes on, we're going to get more teams trying to kick us off the pitch, and hopefully last night was a rapid learning experience.

My admiration for the Town fans in the open terrace knows no bounds. Absolutely incredible, every single one of you. Hope you all had a safe journey back in very tricky conditions..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
Son of Cod
September 29, 2021, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
In those conditions second half, a loss can be taken on the chin, but losing Efete for three games and maybe Sousa for a few too, last night ended up being a bit of a disaster.

Thought we played really well first half, defence composed, full backs solid and getting forward, midfield winning most second balls and moving the ball around well, and the front three looking a handful every time they got the ball. Sousa and Bapaga in particular could beat their full back for fun. Hurst had set the team up well for the game, the pitch and the opposition. We had one hooked off the line, several half chances and the lightweight but excellent Bapaga should have put us two up after McAtee scored. I don't think 2-0 would have flattered us too much at half time.

You could tell at half time the Bromley team had been instructed to be far more physical and they were. Again second half, first ten minutes we were in control, much more than at Maidenhead, then came the biblical wind and rain and the horrific challenge on Sousa. VAR and in the Premier League, or just having a decent ref, Bromley would have been down to ten men. Thought Hurst might have brought Revan on in a like for like substitution, to keep the balance of the team the same, but opted for Taylor and moved McAtee wide on the right. Maybe more to do with the conditions, but we never looked the same again. After that, everything went for Bromley, not fair to pick the bones out of it. What I would say though is the tackle on Efete was as equally horrendous as the one on Sousa. No excuse for him sticking the nut in, but the weak as urine ref didn't even give a free kick.

Some really good performances out there for the first hour, but as the season goes on, we're going to get more teams trying to kick us off the pitch, and hopefully last night was a rapid learning experience.

My admiration for the Town fans in the open terrace knows no bounds. Absolutely incredible, every single one of you. Hope you all had a safe journey back in very tricky conditions..

Yeah, in hindsight bringing Revan on then might well have been the better move but I suspect that was motivated by both the conditions and whether or not the type of match that was unfolding was fit for an 18 year old on loan from a Premier League club who has barely kicked a ball in men's football. To be honest, I don't think Hurst could have done a lot there. We were screwed whoever he was gonna throw on, it was just one of those nights in the end. A shame because, as you say, we were comfortably on top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 29, 2021, 11:20am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

yeah well the bloke last night couldnt even say McKeown's name could he!  

They couldn't decide between them how to pronounce McAtee and kept thanking another journalist for his notes - all a bit amateurish.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
jamesgtfc
September 29, 2021, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,949
Gold Stars: 190

They couldn't decide between them how to pronounce McAtee and kept thanking another journalist for his notes - all a bit amateurish.

Gritton credited James Findlater for being bang on with everything he said about how we would play. That's not amateur. Part of research in his role will be talking to others who see us more often.

It sums Gritton up as a person that he is happy to credit others for helping him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2021, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Pretty much the way I saw it, I noticed Woodman was laughing and joking with the red as they came back out and walked across the pitch, clearly that worked as the tackle in Soussa and the one Effete made should have been punished in the same way.

Thought they went down easy and the ref generally fell for it. As weak as the ref was the lad running the line in front of us was f*****g useless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
Garth
September 29, 2021, 11:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I thought Hurst was seething beneath his self control, one injured, one sent off and the subs ineffective, bad night at the office, we go again Saturday, got to be ruthless in this league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
Son of Cod
September 29, 2021, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought they went down easy and the ref generally fell for it. As weak as the ref was the lad running the line in front of us was f*****g useless.

Yep. He was on a windup surely? Nobody can be that bad at their job, can they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
Poojah
September 29, 2021, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,469
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Pretty much the way I saw it, I noticed Woodman was laughing and joking with the red as they came back out and walked across the pitch, clearly that worked as the tackle in Soussa and the one Effete made should have been punished in the same way.

Hadn’t realised Andy Woodman was their manager. Probably best remembered by Town fans as the goalkeeper in this photo:

[img]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/siteassets/general-images/historic/donovan_goal.jpg/Large[/img]
Sat him down nicely there, did Kev.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
marinerjase
September 29, 2021, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
We’ve lost one in eight, sit 3rd in the National League, best start to a season for decades, crowds are up, we have a decent squad with potential to grow and add too.

I don’t understand the panic/reaction by a few - at all, to be perfectly honest.

Wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t attend games, had a club led by an egotistical prat, a manager who obviously came here for a backhander who left soon as the excrement was about to hit the fan (thank god..as he was as deluded as the aforementioned egotistical prat), had a team and club that was going nowhere but backwards.

Sometimes it’s worth taking a step back, reflecting, and then wonder why/what you’re worrying for.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
Son of Cod
September 29, 2021, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
I don’t understand the panic/reaction by a few - at all, to be perfectly honest.

Has there been any panic?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
acko338
September 29, 2021, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
The 3G pitch could have been a banana skin in good weather - fair play to those on the pitch, and huge credit to the brave and wet 600 + away fans who were clearly louder than the home fans on the commentary !

It sounded like a stronger ref would have left Bromley with 9 players on the pitch !

You also can't compete with weak refereeing and a blind linesman, if fan reports on here are unbiased.

A match to forget, move on !!

At least Chesterfield tripped up as well !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
Posh Harry
September 29, 2021, 1:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Son of Cod

Has there been any panic?

I agree, if anything reading the comments has been a breath of fresh compared to previous seasons and the slaughtering a lot of people got. Might only be because we have had a good start but nice to see mainly balanced views and an attitude of we go again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
FishOutOfWater
September 29, 2021, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from tashee69

I assume from the comment on their board this didn't go down too well with Bromley?

I thought the Vardy style $***housery galvanised the team

https://bromleyfc.boards.net/thread/2161/bromley-grimsby-town-28-2021

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 68
DB
September 29, 2021, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yep. He was on a windup surely? Nobody can be that bad at their job, can they?

Boris can.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
tashee69
September 29, 2021, 3:38pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Hadn’t realised Andy Woodman was their manager. Probably best remembered by Town fans as the goalkeeper in this photo:

[img]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/siteassets/general-images/historic/donovan_goal.jpg/Large[/img]
Sat him down nicely there, did Kev.

I remember him more for the penalty save.

GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
TownSNAFU5
September 29, 2021, 4:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
Seems to have been a perfect storm - and literally as well.  The Gods were certainly not in our favour last night.

A sending-off is avoidable.  Hope Hurst reads him the riot act for the impact on the team over the next 3 matches.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 29, 2021, 5:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Seems to have been a perfect storm - and literally as well.  The Gods were certainly not in our favour last night.

A sending-off is avoidable.  Hope Hurst reads him the riot act for the impact on the team over the next 3 matches.  

Very surprised you've had a red cross there. I agree with you completely.

The sending off was due to a lack of discipline and he has let his team mates, supporters and manager down. Hurst has every right to (and should) make it clear that it's not good enough and he needs to keep himself under control. He's made a great start to his season but that blots his copybook.

B*llocking over, move on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
smokey111
September 29, 2021, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46

Very surprised you've had a red cross there. I agree with you completely.

The sending off was due to a lack of discipline and he has let his team mates, supporters and manager down. Hurst has every right to (and should) make it clear that it's not good enough and he needs to keep himself under control. He's made a great start to his season but that blots his copybook.

B*llocking over, move on.

Did he nut him? Or did they just come head to head?

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
tashee69
September 29, 2021, 7:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

They went head to head but the there was a forward motion. Happened right in front of where I was sat.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
Lincspoacher
September 29, 2021, 9:10pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Haven’t just got back, but only just dried out.

Last time I was that wet was Bournemouth away on a Tuesday night in 1989/90 season I think. Got so wet on the away end open terrace that the club allowed Town fans into the main stand in the 2nd half.

Lost that bloody night as well

Onwards and upwards as it’s a long season and will be a battle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
KingstonMariner
September 29, 2021, 10:18pm
Meths Drinker
Seem to remember that happening too at Reading round about that period Poacher.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
Les Brechin
September 30, 2021, 7:30am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Seem to remember that happening too at Reading round about that period Poacher.

That was on Boxing Day. It hammered it down in the first half and the couple of hundred or so Town fans were drenched.

A nice kindly steward wanted to put us all undercover for the 2nd half but some old git of a Reading fan who was already sat there complained and we had to stay out in the open for the whole game. We lost that day too. Seems like we never win away games when it's pissing it down. I can remember us losing 6-0 at Luton too in the early 80's when there was a rainstorm.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
lukeo
September 30, 2021, 8:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Stockport away we got to go under shelter... Can't remember when that was 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 30, 2021, 8:08am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

I wasn't there but listened on the radio and the commentator said they came together in a fairly meaty challenge that appeared to be 50/50. Efete took umbrage and they went head to head (literally). If it had finished there they would probably have both been booked and that would have been the end of it. But Efete then moved his head in a forward motion. The Bromley player went down (sensing the opportunity?) and the ref had little or no option but to send Efete off.

Not my assessment, what I heard on the radio.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 30, 2021, 8:13am
Champagne Drinker
Oxford away at the old ground. Must have been early in the season because a lot of people were in shirts. It lashed down and we all crammed in the toilets to get away from it at half time.

But the worst I was at was Barnsley away on Boxing Day around 91/2/3. We had the open end at Oakwell and it poured down. It was also cold.

Town got hammered because Crofty had had a Chritmas Eve party and they were all still getting over it (we discovered later).

Car ran out of petrol on the way home.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
Les Brechin
September 30, 2021, 8:18am

Can anyone remember an away game when it drunk it down and we won?

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
Les Brechin
September 30, 2021, 8:22am

Quoted from Les Brechin

I'll answer my own question there. Away at Plymouth 1992 I think. Late on in the season, we won 2-1 and the 100 or so Town fans doing the conga singing "Singing In The Rain'". Super Clive and a rare Mark Lever goal.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2021, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Macclesfield on Boxing Day a few years ago whether was atrocious and I think we won 1 - 0, more snow than rain if I’m being honest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 30, 2021, 10:46am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Scunny at The Old Show Ground in about 1853. We were covered though. Don't remember much about the match but remember the rain and the horrible atmosphere inside and outside the ground. Town fans knocked a garden wall over to provide ammunition as we left the ground.

I do not miss those days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2021, 12:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

Scunny at The Old Show Ground in about 1853. We were covered though. Don't remember much about the match but remember the rain and the horrible atmosphere inside and outside the ground. Town fans knocked a garden wall over to provide ammunition as we left the ground.

I do not miss those days.

Bloody hell, thought only tortoises lived this long!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 68
ginnywings
September 30, 2021, 12:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
For terrible weather and defeats, Hartlepool holds some grim memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 30, 2021, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Bloody hell, thought only tortoises lived this long!!

I may have exaggerated a little.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 68
Caesar
September 30, 2021, 9:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Les Brechin

The Stockport game Lukeo referred to. 2008 Johnstone's paint trophy. We won 2-1. If I recall correctly Town fans were behind the goal and moved at half time after rain and hail to the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 68
easypeersy
September 30, 2021, 9:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'll answer my own question there. Away at Plymouth 1992 I think. Late on in the season, we won 2-1 and the 100 or so Town fans doing the conga singing "Singing In The Rain'". Super Clive and a rare Mark Lever goal.

I was at that match Les 😀
I drove up from RN Air Station in Cornwall
I was based there.
I loved it doing the conga.
Until I twisted my ankle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 68
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2021, 11:32pm
Meths Drinker
Haiku?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 68
golfer
October 1, 2021, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
Haiku?

Very good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 68
FishOutOfWater
October 5, 2021, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

thornemariner and I were discussing this after the Dover game

He said what about the day England won the Rugby World Cup ( November 2003 )

I remembered it absolutely hammering down all day while I was at home watching Jonny Wilkinson on TV whereas he was at Brentford seeing Town win 3-1, singing in the rain  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 67 - 68
KingstonMariner
October 5, 2021, 8:13pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

thornemariner and I were discussing this after the Dover game

He said what about the day England won the Rugby World Cup ( November 2003 )

I remembered it absolutely hammering down all day while I was at home watching Jonny Wilkinson on TV whereas he was at Brentford seeing Town win 3-1, singing in the rain  

😆 the pitch was terrible that day. Our first goal came because we hit the ball into space and on any normal day it would have gone straight out for a goal kick. It just stopped in the pool of water and only Town players chased it.

Swim low sweet halibut.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 68
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.